James Gunn and Peter Safran Are the New Co-CEOs of DC Studios

I was underwhelmed by the stated plans. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't hold out much hope these days. Why is Wonder Woman getting a "game of thrones styled" political drama on Themescira (forgive the spelling) for HBO max, but Supergirl gets a movie? Wonder Woman should have a movie... a movie for Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman... then some of these obscure (or boring) characters. We do not need an Amanda Waller show no matter how bad The Woman King bombed. And confine the Green Lanterns to Earth sound like trying to do it on the cheap (during the Thirds Doctor's time on Doctor Who he was stranded on Earth to make the show cheaper). Sorry, I was hoping for better from James Gunn. Maybe he'll pull another Guardians Of The Galaxy and make it work

As with Spiderman, every Superman since Reeves has included an origin story. It's the same story, just updated. I'm a broken record with wanting a SpiderMAN, enough with origin stories, jump in, we know how it started. Seems that's what the new Superman will be. If only we could get the same with other super heros, like Spiderman. I know it's marvel, but a perfect example.

As per the reasoning of Amazonian series, there is a lot to put on TV that's not been done prior. Again, why tell the same generic stories over and over again.

Swamp Thing, look to where Gunn came from for that answer. Gunn has always kept those that helped him rise in the loop in some form or fashion. I expect to see Nathan Fillion, Alan Tudyk, Kevin Bacon, Michael Rooker... All show up at some point. Irony with Black Adam and the Rock is Gunn had an eye on him back in the mid 2000's as did our own Paul Hernandez / JetBeetle.

All in all, don't expect the same generic rinse and repeat marvel machine. I also assume not to expect the same main super heroes this time out. Give them a rest for a few more years.

I had been very so so with the DC films. But having watched Batman v Superman the Ultimate Edition and then Zack Snyder's Justice League. I finally found myself won over by Snyder's films. I'd come appreciate his take on Superman, even though it was very different from the classic Superman I knew and loved. (Playing Injustice 2 also helped and seeing some of the similarities, namely Superman). And now it all means nothing....................... at this point I couldn't care about the new films. They'd have to be pretty mind-blowing to bring me back. Heck, my wife and I never finished Black Adam. It was just so uninteresting.

I was underwhelmed by the stated plans. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't hold out much hope these days. Why is Wonder Woman getting a "game of thrones styled" political drama on Themescira (forgive the spelling) for HBO max, but Supergirl gets a movie? Wonder Woman should have a movie... a movie for Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman... then some of these obscure (or boring) characters. We do not need an Amanda Waller show no matter how bad The Woman King bombed. And confine the Green Lanterns to Earth sound like trying to do it on the cheap (during the Thirds Doctor's time on Doctor Who he was stranded on Earth to make the show cheaper). Sorry, I was hoping for better from James Gunn. Maybe he'll pull another Guardians Of The Galaxy and make it work
I figure he's trying not to over-promise anything. The Themecyra show, from what I've heard, doesn't even include Wonder Woman, it's setting up the island. I think a lot of it looks bad, or at least questionable, but I'm willing to give him a chance before I pan it.

I dunno how you watch that and complain… all I hear lately is people wanting original stories, not reboots… well, Half that stuff I’ve never heard of, and all sounds great

I swear people these days don’t love movies, they just love complaining about them.

So what, no Caville? He wasn’t the first Superman, he won’t be the last.

I like Caville a lot, but I also like good stories, and if they deliver a good superman starting someone else, great!

Now going to hunt down that super girl comic run I kept seeing hyped on “best of” lists this year - cuz that whole Gunn sell worked on me - time to read some runs.

But I'm a mark for original comic stories I haven’t seen a million times… especially Gunn helmed

Also, Damian Wayne? Yes please.

Im not sure what it is but to me Gunn comes off as incredibly arrogant every time he talks about his projects (including the Guardians movies) and everything he says about his new DCU just gets worse

I dunno how you watch that and complain… all I hear lately is people wanting original stories, not reboots… well, Half that stuff I’ve never heard of, and all sounds great

I swear people these days don’t love movies, they just love complaining about them.

So what, no Caville? He wasn’t the first Superman, he won’t be the last.

I like Caville a lot, but I also like good stories, and if they deliver a good superman starting someone else, great!

Now going to hunt down that super girl comic run I kept seeing hyped on “best of” lists this year - cuz that whole Gunn sell worked on me - time to read some runs.

But I'm a mark for original comic stories I haven’t seen a million times… especially Gunn helmed

Also, Damian Wayne? Yes please.
You should check out that Supergirl American Honda comic. I think that should be the movie.

Buckle up for safety, kids! Supergirl says so.

They're also saying that "The Flash" movie is a fantastic one and that it'll be a franchise (I know...with "They" continuing to be touted by the studios):eek::eek::sick::sick::sleep::sleep:

They're also saying that "The Flash" movie is a fantastic one and that it'll be a franchise (I know...with "They" continuing to be touted by the studios):eek::eek::sick::sick::sleep::sleep:
Yeah now that Ezra has gone to re alignment school he's now a changed person...

Apparently :sick::sick:

Last edited:
I don’t like that hybrid approach of keeping some of the old and being some new ones one bit.
Either you see the current roster to the end, Cavil, Gadot and even Affleck who seemed to be in a good disposition to pick up the cowl again and everyone, or you do a hard reboot, clean slate with brand new actors and stories.
This feels like cherry picking, especially around the cast of his own show. And what a weird line up…
We’ll see but I’ll not be rushing in theatre for this, that’s for sure.

I guess DC is betting on Gunn taking these obscure characters and pulling off another Guardians of the Galaxy. I did enjoy the Peacemaker series, but I can't even remember what happened in Gunn's suicide Squad. I remember it was a little better than the first one, that's about it. Yeah, I'll watch more Peacemaker, but it is not really a character I have any invested interest in.

But, if you can't make bank on your core team of super heroes, it seems to me, you've kinda lost the race before you start. I'm getting tired of all these B characters getting turned into comedies.

But who knows? Maybe he can do it right, but I kind of doubt it.

I didn't even watch Gunn's Suicide Squad or the Peacemaker show. I just don't care. That's been my general feeling on all superhero movies and TV shows of late. I just don't care.

If I was in charge of the DC reboot, I'd make four movies first. Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern, all separate movies with no crossovers and all of the characters would be early-comic accurate (ie. nothing that's happened in the past 20 years). You need to establish the core group as they will be moving forward. No origin stories. We've seen that before. Show us who these characters are going to be. Get people to buy into your vision. Only after that can you branch out to other things.

Well he’s doing Batman, Superman (young). Green Lanterns… and not as origins… so he’s mostly there…

Seems tho that these stories exist in the same universe but not necessarily at exactly the same time right off the bat…

No Wonder Woman… but her … people?

Not a dc guy so not really familiar….

However, there’s never been a movie where people didn’t say it would be the worst thing ever… so not surprised at all the anger

Just remembering the old days of “Ain’t it cool news”, 100’s of comments pissing all over the casting of Ledger…

Then years later people p*ssing and moaning over batfleck casting (now everyone wants batfleck)…. Crying about Pattinson casting (now everyone was worried those movies would be shelved)

I dunno…

I’ll give anything a chance….

just give a good story

And I like that they’re not casting or hiring directors until the script is working… or so they say.

My problem is why announce a big slate? DC's problem has been universe building. Marvel didn't come out and pre-announce Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and the Avengers before any hit the screen. The made one, then built on it. No seems to want to actually build or earn their universe, they just want to start with it. That's where they fail.

The last DCEU started after MoS and Avengers. There was no 'universe' plan until Avengers hit, then they jumped right to it and it wasn't any good. Hell, the Ghostbusters with the women wasn't even just a movie, it was supposed to be a universe, too. With multiple movies, cartoons, games, etc and they touted it when they announced the first movie...one movie, bombed, no universe.

Not to mention, DC is the group that blocked certain characters on the CW going back to the WB. Clark could never BE superman...they could never use batman, etc. Why? Because they didn't want people confused as to why there were multiples. Now? You WILL still have people confused as to why Henry Cavil isn't Superman, why Affleck or Pattinson aren't Batman, why is Momoa playing someone else (if he plays someone else), why are there two (or possibly 3) jokers?

What happens if the 'new' Superman bombs massively? Do you keep going since you announced several things? or do you scrap it and start over?

I don't know, the proof is in the pudding as they say and we won't know anything til they start making stuff, but nothing about the slate sound exciting or interesting. But, then again, when i first heard about GotG i thought similarly until the trailer hit. I guess we'll see.

Just a guess but what if the Waller series is there to introduce certain characters into the movies. That would be a way to speed up the character building.

As per Superman, Cavil was great. The movies not so much. For ten years he was Superman. Time to move on.

Just a guess but what if the Waller series is there to introduce certain characters into the movies. That would be a way to speed up the character building.

As per Superman, Cavil was great. The movies not so much. For ten years he was Superman. Time to move on.
Yeah, I don't really get the love for Cavill. I mean, I like the actor, I think he had a good look for Superman, but his movies really weren't that hot.

Yeah, I don't really get the love for Cavill. I mean, I like the actor, I think he had a good look for Superman, but his movies really weren't that hot.
That's just it. The movies weren't good so it feels like he didn't get a fair shot to really show what he can do. It also helps that he's a very likeable guy in real life. It makes you root for him. Who knows?... maybe even with a good script, he still wouldn't have been great. We won't know now.

My problem is why announce a big slate? DC's problem has been universe building. Marvel didn't come out and pre-announce Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and the Avengers before any hit the screen. The made one, then built on it. No seems to want to actually build or earn their universe, they just want to start with it. That's where they fail.

The last DCEU started after MoS and Avengers. There was no 'universe' plan until Avengers hit, then they jumped right to it and it wasn't any good. Hell, the Ghostbusters with the women wasn't even just a movie, it was supposed to be a universe, too. With multiple movies, cartoons, games, etc and they touted it when they announced the first movie...one movie, bombed, no universe.

Not to mention, DC is the group that blocked certain characters on the CW going back to the WB. Clark could never BE superman...they could never use batman, etc. Why? Because they didn't want people confused as to why there were multiples. Now? You WILL still have people confused as to why Henry Cavil isn't Superman, why Affleck or Pattinson aren't Batman, why is Momoa playing someone else (if he plays someone else), why are there two (or possibly 3) jokers?

What happens if the 'new' Superman bombs massively? Do you keep going since you announced several things? or do you scrap it and start over?

I don't know, the proof is in the pudding as they say and we won't know anything til they start making stuff, but nothing about the slate sound exciting or interesting. But, then again, when i first heard about GotG i thought similarly until the trailer hit. I guess we'll see.
That's what I've been saying. Just focus on making good movies. Don't worry about a shared universe. Personally, I want things to go back to solo stories anyway. The solo movies usually end up being the more interesting ones.

I'd wager some of those projects Gunn named get cancelled. Not for any reason other than not everything that's announced gets made. He seemed to be far more enthusiastic about the niche comics they're adapting. I don't blame him. He'll have more creative freedom making those than he will making the Justice League. The problem is you can't build on those niche comics. You have to start with Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc. If the authority is a Justice League type team, what does that leave for the actual Justice League movie if you've already made your superhero team film? I realize long time comic book fans won't care as much in that regard as long as they get a steady supply of movies but I'm looking at it from a general audience perspective. Will they care about Booster Gold or the Spectre or Adam Strange? They will if their movies are great. But you can't start off with those characters. Guardians was a great movie, but it was a successful movie because of the popularity Marvel had built up. If Marvel had come out of the gate with Guardians, it would have still been a great movie but one that nobody saw.

That's just it. The movies weren't good so it feels like he didn't get a fair shot to really show what he can do. It also helps that he's a very likeable guy in real life. It makes you root for him. Who knows?... maybe even with a good script, he still wouldn't have been great. We won't know now.
I don't really care. The same thing happened with The Witcher. He was a fantastic Geralt but they screwed the whole thing up and he walked away. He's already off to other projects, he'll always be an in-depand actor Far too many people just want to live in the past and that's not how reality works.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back