James Gunn and Peter Safran Are the New Co-CEOs of DC Studios

65601715-11540167-image-a-30_1671070757617.jpg

And H.C. quit his role on the "Witcher" for nothing it seems:devil::mad: I don't know if the "New Slate" at D.C. is about burning bridges, but it sure does look like it:eek::oops::oops:

I think he quit over more than Superman. He said in numerous interviews he would do The Witcher for as long as they were true to the books/games. That ship sailed when the second season aired.

What have people liked more? The mess of the prior DC movies, or, Joker and the Batman stand alone films, which are both slated for and one sequel that's now filming. What if the new DC direction is to move away from prior established style and move onto that gritty real world style?

Wash the slate clean and make something with the investment.

What have people liked more? The mess of the prior DC movies, or, Joker and the Batman stand alone films, which are both slated for and one sequel that's now filming. What if the new DC direction is to move away from prior established style and move onto that gritty real world style?

Again, it seems like they're putting the cart before the horse those. The now dead DCEU was done (literally from the head of DC at the time) to cash in on the success of Marvel and the Avengers. They jumped right to BvS and nosedived from there (can you really nosedive from such a low spot?). This time, again, they're simply assuming success based on the fact they're DC and plotting out 10 years of stuff before a single scene has been shot. Now, maybe studio's plan things out that far - but they don't do it publicly. I expect next years DC Con or whatever they call it will be Gunn and company doing a Marvel style presentation announcing 9 flicks over a 3-4 year span.

They should be fully aware at this point you have to earn it. Gunn especially. He was tasked with making Guardians not just successful, but getting people to buy into a stable of characters most (and i mean 95% of the movie going public) had never heard of that including a talking raccoon and tree. He knocked it out of the park. And sure, it wasn't just him, but they had to go through all that while having a successful slate of films. Loads saw that simply because Marvel had a great track record at that time. With all that, I think he's got a much tougher gig with the first new DC flick. You've got a studio most people think of as a joke who can't get out of their own way who's just ended all the existing characters and now they're making public plans for 10 years of 'universe' movies. It doesn't sound like they've learned a whole lot quite honestly.

I get Gunn has a better track record and has been on the successful side. You've still got Mr Discovery Channel calling the shots overall which is a scary thought. Maybe they need that 10 year plan, but they'd be a whole lot better served starting from square one and only talking about the next movie and not 10 years worth of universe flicks.

I heard before, who knows if it's still the plan, that Joker would stay in it's own world and it was unknown if Battinson would be the batman going forward or if they'd redo that. That joker is no criminal mastermind and would get smacked down by any batman in about 30 seconds. It's good using it as a story about mental illness, but I don't see it translating to an actually viable batman villain. The guy is mentally ill, not a criminal mastermind. As for gritty, look at most cities, you have nice clean parts, suburban parts, and gritty parts. There are some pretty seedy cities out there as well. I don't have a problem with Gotham being gritty and Metropolis being prim and proper etc. That can work. DC's past mistake was that everything wasn't gritty, it was all dark, depressing, and moody and used more green screens than a stone George Lucas. I don't think all DC flicks combined had 10 minutes of footage with a bright blue sky. It was just visually dark and depressing and that is not what super heroes are. Batman, for example, may do most of his work at night in the dark, but Bruce Wayne should be out and about during the day when there's sunlight. You need that grounding in reality which the prior DCEU seemed to have skipped completely.

I wasn't implying DC would/could world build around the Batman and Joker movies, those are what they are. But the style, look and feel rebooting the universe as a whole.

We haven't even touched on the train wreck of DC TV.

I think the problem with writing for Superman is that it is more important to show why he does what he does rather than than how he can lift that huge rock for example

I mean he can pretty much do anything, that is what makes him superman. The real story lies in what his motivations are for doing those things, what makes him human etc...

I think the problem with writing for Superman is that it is more important to show why he does what he does rather than than how he can lift that huge rock for example

I mean he can pretty much do anything, that is what makes him superman. The real story lies in what his motivations are for doing those things, what makes him human etc...
Well, since Superman could do anything and be invincible (like a God), they had to put some human limits on his powers. If not; there was no story anymore;)

Cavill is a class act through and through. I'm sure the studio has no choice but to reboot the entire franchise with a clean slate. I don't resent them for doing that, and I'm certain Cavill understands it completely.
Total class act. That's the unfortunate thing... Henry not only has the look, but he's a genuinely good guy. He personifies Superman/Clark Kent in real life. That right there makes him so much more believable as the character. Superman especially is a difficult character to cast. I'm not sure who they can bring in that would be better. I understand the desire to wipe the slate clean and start over but there are times when the prudent direction is to go with what already works. He has so much goodwill with the fans that are still with DC. I would soft reboot the Man of Steel franchise. Just pretend the prior movies don't exist and build on that.

I said earlier in this thread that I think the smarter move is to focus on making good standalone movies and not shared universe ones. Forget a 10 year plan. How about just a 1 year plan? That is to say, start off by making 1 or 2 great movies and then go from there. Forget trying to make the next MCU. It's been done. Instead, aim to make the next Donner Superman, or Burton Batman, or Nolan Batman. Just focus on quality and not quantity. There would be no MCU if not for the first Iron Man being a strong first entry. That's what Warner needs to focus on. And just like Tony Stark was the nucleus for the movies that followed, I believe Superman would work better in that regard than Batman.

Last edited:
Total class act. That's the unfortunate thing... Henry not only has the look, but he's a genuinely good guy. He personifies Superman/Clark Kent in real life. That right there makes him so much more believable as the character. Superman especially is a difficult character to cast. I'm not sure who they can bring in that would be better. I understand the desire to wipe the slate clean and start over but there are times when the prudent direction is to go with what already works. He has so much goodwill with the fans that are still with DC. I would soft reboot the Man of Steel franchise. Just pretend the prior don't exist and build on that.

I said earlier in this thread that I think the smarter move is to focus on making good standalone movies and not shared universe ones. Forget a 10 year plan. How about just a 1 year plan? That is to say, start off by making 1 or 2 great movies and then go from there. Forget trying to make the next MCU. It's been done. Instead, aim to make the next Donner Superman, or Burton Batman, or Nolan Batman. Just focus on quality and not quantity. There would be no MCU if not for the first Iron Man being a strong first entry. That's what Warner needs to focus on. And just like Tony Stark was the nucleus for the movies that followed, I believe Superman would work better in that regard than Batman.
Pretty much agree all down the line. Make a couple good movies, just lightly tied together at most. Don't over-commit. Use Superman to connect things, it works because he can fly anywhere and talk to anyone. Look at the recruiting scenes in JL. Imagine how much easier it is to pull in any hero you want if Supes just flies up to them and earnestly says "I need your help." Even cynical anti-heroes would have a This Is Serious gut reaction.

With Henry Cavill's sudden reemergence followed so closely by the news he would NOT be returning, I have no interest in any DCU going forward.

I do hope The Batman verse stays at the level of the first film and far away from the other messes.

Really the only thing I’m interested in is Swamp Thing. They could do some really cool, and creepy stuff if the base it on the Alan Moore run (but they’ll probably screw it up….). Not at all interested in yet another young Superman, coming to grips with growing up with super powers. Don’t really care about Damien Wayne, and don’t know a thing about The Authority. Kind of a bummer because I’ve always been a DC guy over Marvel.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back