Is there a fabric available for TOS Trek shirts?

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Does anyone know what the proper color is for Kirk's TOS shirt and what the correct fabric is? I've heard it's a type of crushed velvet? But more important, is this fabric even readily available???

Depends on which one you're going for, Season 1/2 or Season 3. For Season 1 and the first half of Season 2, I think the material used was lightweight cotton velour. Halfway through Season 2, they changed it to double knit polyester. I'm sure both fabrics are available. For both uniforms, the color was avocado/mustard but when seen on film it looked gold. You can find more info here: http://www.startrekuniformguide.com/originals2.html

You need to check over on ASAP as a group is trying to get the right Third Season fabric.

The First two Seasons were Velour and as with all of Trek's Command Shirts a very hard Color to peg. That Velour is impossible to find now though

The Third Season is not double-knit like everyone thinks close though and is another weird Color, Theiss called it Avocado.

Sadly the people who DO know where to get the Fabric as well as where to get it Properly dyed, The Dye house who did it for the Series is still operating and has the exact formula, are no longer doing any Tunics or can not be trusted.

I have no time right now but maybe in the future, a year or two and no one
has stepped up to the Plate I will do a run of Fabric for Third Season Command

Okay, I think I found fabric whic is pretty close. Any info on the correct pattern w/the 'invisible zipper' or more important, where to obtain the accurate braids?

I'd try Roddenberry.com. The pattern is spot on. They have braid that seems pretty nice, but I've never seen it in person. It looks more like the bigger first season braid to me, but it should work just fine.

yeah Roddenberry.com has the Pattern as well as the Braid.

The Group from ASAP is even trying to get Eugene to carry the Fabric

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back