Is bttf-store on eBay a member here ?

Sorry to have to ask this and if I offend anyone, I apologize in advance. How does someone actually claim rights (IP or other) to a prop from a film that was originally done by someone else? The BTTF II and III films (and all props) are now 23 years old. If I am not mistaken, even a patent only has a 10 year life span. So is everything we make here not already a copy of someone's work?

Sorry to have to ask this and if I offend anyone, I apologize in advance. How does someone actually claim rights (IP or other) to a prop from a film that was originally done by someone else? The BTTF II and III films (and all props) are now 23 years old. If I am not mistaken, even a patent only has a 10 year life span. So is everything we make here not already a copy of someone's work?

Copyrights expire 70 years after the author's death. In some countries even 100 years.

Copyrights expire 70 years after the author's death. In some countries even 100 years.
Sorry if I am missing the point, does copyright cover everything used in a movie? If so, this would start at the screen play and go right through to the final edited film.

Sorry if I am missing the point, does copyright cover everything used in a movie? If so, this would start at the screen play and go right through to the final edited film.

Copyright covers everything, that reaches the necessary creation level. You can be sure, that everything, that we replicate here, reaches that creation level and is copyrighted.

It's not a copyright that is being claimed to have been stolen, it's a member's work. Whatever the case with the original, it takes work to recreate a prop.

For example, the vanishing photo that was recreated by Markus. He is, rightfully so, annoyed that someone has taken his work and is making money off it.

I suggest you look up the various threads regarding recasting here on the board for a more in-depth explanation :thumbsup

Roland, I cannot see how you would be comfortable with someone stealing the work you so kindly distributed here for free and then see it being sold on eBay for money (?).

The fact that you distributed it for free here shows you only wanted to share your work with us for the love of the hobby.

Personally, I'd be furious if I made something for free and saw someone else make money off it.

If I had made that same something to make some money, I'd be foaming at the mouth.

Thanks Alan. Yes a big difference making something and contributing to the forum verses making money off someone's efforts.

If you check the bttf-store web site, they have a "coming soon" section for Doc's EZ Sleep prop...is it a coincidence that there is a thread for those in the JY right now? Perhaps they are planning on buying one from that sales thread and recasting it? Just makes me wonder :confused

... Roland, I cannot see how you would be comfortable with someone stealing the work you so kindly distributed here for free and then see it being sold on eBay for money (?). ...

I know that this will happen someday. I'm just waiting for it. :lol

That's the reason why I'm planning to sell only stuff, that isn't so easy to replicate with a simple home printer. All the other stuff: I distribute it for free and if someone sells it on eBay - who cares?! It doesn't hurt me. But of course, I understand, that someone like Markus, who make that stuff for sale, is annoyed at others, who copy and sell his work.

... The fact that you distributed it for free here shows you only wanted to share your work with us for the love of the hobby.

The only thing that is important to me, is to have most accurate replicas for my own collection and for my coming website, where I can share all my stuff with other fans for free. Yes, I love that hobby. :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back