IronMan Mark 1, built in a cave from a box of scrap

IronMonk

here are some images from my mark 1 build, literally as the title suggests it was built from extra pieces of metal and other materials from previous projects (although it was in my garage not a cave).
materials include, stainless steel, mild steel, copper, brass, aluminum, wood, foam... there are a few others I must be missing.
-I started with the helmet, the copper things sticking out of the front are "clecos", they are little clamps that insert through a hole.(very handy for sheet metal work)
-the legs were built on a pair of ski boots bolted to a metal frame and harness, everything on the legs gets bolted to the frame.
-foam mats were cut, melted carved and hot glued to form some parts, then coated in black latex paint, then final spray and touch ups with plastic friendly chromes and golds.
I think that covers the pics for this post.
My apologies in advance if I am not able to get back to the thread for a few days.

Attachments

• IMG_6857.jpg
    IMG_6857.jpg
    446.5 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_6913.jpg
    IMG_6913.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_6909.jpg
    IMG_6909.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_6905.jpg
    IMG_6905.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_6894.jpg
    IMG_6894.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_6872.jpg
    IMG_6872.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_9503.jpg
    IMG_9503.jpg
    661.2 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
here are some more pics.
-arc reactor made from some LEDs copper wire and other bits
-flame thrower arm, canister and jet are on the top of the forearm piece.
"media" arm with iphone connects to speaker in chest piece.
-more to come.
cheers

IMG_7095.jpgIMG_7096.jpgIMG_7126.jpgIMG_9197.jpgIMG_9198.jpgIMG_9499.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7104.jpg
    IMG_7104.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_6909.jpg
    IMG_6909.jpg
    764.9 KB · Views: 120
Sick build bro! It might not satisfy the rivet counters inside all of us, but the details are good and it follows the spirit of the original build. Don't forget the welding jacket and gloves, the fattier and dirtier the better. You can find similar ones for about $15 at Home Depot, they're Kevlar and nomex welding gloves, IIRC. I have a pair sitting in a drawer at my home.

Don't worry, when he posts the pictures of the full suit - including the functional flamethrower, I'm sure it will satisfy most of the rivet counters :)

some more pics.
not much to say about them.
the armour is pretty much done in these photos.
had to sacrifice a stainless steel trash can and a couple other household metal items to satisfy my "built out of scrap" mission.
everything else came from the shop floor (so to speak).
the only thing actually purchased specifically for the build was some paint.
btw, m1 has been finished for a while, I am just trying to post chronologically as I dig the photos out of various disorganized albums
finished pics are coming and some video (with the flamethrower) as TJack mentioned.

View attachment 673475View attachment 673476View attachment 673477View attachment 673482IMG_7117.jpgIMG_9104.jpgIMG_7108.jpgIMG_7115.jpg

Last edited:
Can't see the pics.

But I am loving the concept of this build! The metal/foam combo really seams to work.

ok, I think I loaded the images properly this time.
thanks psicorp7, a straight foam build sure would have been a lot simpler, but that would have completely missed the whole idea of the (box of scrap/metal) build.
the foam was actually right off the floor of my shop, so it fit the bill too.
this is a little video I put together last Halloween. I hope it works

I have some more "fun with fire" that I will try to get posted soon.
cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back