Ironman Helmet hinge with Video Demo

Good to hear! Looking forward to seeing your ideas. My idea was a simple pivot on the lower jaw seam and a rod that would push to top out with a stop so it wouldn't go too far. Kinda hard to explain but really simple

getting positive reaction on hinges from other members which is great.. thanks guys..:lol

So now need to get this servo lol get it up and working :confused

]

Last edited:
Mockle. Great thread you started here. It frustrated me to no end when I'd follow someone's thread as they built the helmet and then wouldn't share the hinge set up. My helmet is done except for the electronics and I've been banging my head attempting to locate picot points that give me enough clearance so the back of the faceplate clears the top of the helm and the upper lip clears the area that sticks out near the jaw. Thanks for getting this going. Will help a lot!

Happy to help out.. wish id finish it LOL Dragging right now moving work SOOO soon as things slow down Ill get around getting that Servo.. and as well working on another hinge setup amazing who is out there that will help out.... :thumbsup

Mockle. Great thread you started here. It frustrated me to no end when I'd follow someone's thread as they built the helmet and then wouldn't share the hinge set up. My helmet is done except for the electronics and I've been banging my head attempting to locate picot points that give me enough clearance so the back of the faceplate clears the top of the helm and the upper lip clears the area that sticks out near the jaw. Thanks for getting this going. Will help a lot!

yes it is tiny.

So I talked to Smooth-on and found a yet better material. So I orded it got it in today and as far is even stronger then the resin 320.. nothing wrong with the 320. just looking whats out there. So I did a cast. but takes hours to set.... so I will update after its all set and ready.....:)

So is this what you're making the hinges out of?

Mockle,
Still working my hinges. Wondering what kind of screws you used for the hinges and how you attached them to your helmet. I have templates I've been taping to the faceplate and jaw to see if my action is right, but the nuts on my screws keep loosening. I imagine the same thing will happen when it's installed. I have some binding posts I thought I might try, but I'm wondering if I need to find some that are a bit longer and with a smaller diameter. The ones I have right now are are 3/16" X 1/4".

used 1/4" Chicago screws inside 1/2" on the lower face plate...

drilled the spot used a automotive silicone the used resin to seal sand smooth if needed..:thumbsup

Mockle,
Still working my hinges. Wondering what kind of screws you used for the hinges and how you attached them to your helmet. I have templates I've been taping to the faceplate and jaw to see if my action is right, but the nuts on my screws keep loosening. I imagine the same thing will happen when it's installed. I have some binding posts I thought I might try, but I'm wondering if I need to find some that are a bit longer and with a smaller diameter. The ones I have right now are are 3/16" X 1/4".

used 1/4" Chicago screws inside 1/2" on the lower face plate...

drilled the spot used a automotive silicone the used resin to seal sand smooth if needed..:thumbsup

So which part was actually attached to the helmet with the silicone and then resin...Did you drill a hole for the middle piece shown in this picture, then screw it in and resin it? Still not sure exactly how you attached.

One trick I did with the hinges in my helmet was to get a piece of threaded rod the same pitch as the Chicago screws, and cut it to length so it was about 5/8" shorter than the width of the inside of the helmet. Once you figure out the correct mounting position, put the receiving end of the Chicago screws on the rod and adjust them so the rod fits snugly against the helmet wall and epoxy it in place. This way the mounting points stay parallel, and the hinge works smoothly. The rod diameter isn't very big, so cutting it in a couple places with a pair of cutters to unscrew the rod from the mounted screw ends is easy.

One trick I did with the hinges in my helmet was to get a piece of threaded rod the same pitch as the Chicago screws, and cut it to length so it was about 5/8" shorter than the width of the inside of the helmet. Once you figure out the correct mounting position, put the receiving end of the Chicago screws on the rod and adjust them so the rod fits snugly against the helmet wall and epoxy it in place. This way the mounting points stay parallel, and the hinge works smoothly. The rod diameter isn't very big, so cutting it in a couple places with a pair of cutters to unscrew the rod from the mounted screw ends is easy.

Brilliant! I'm definately going to use this trick when I mount mine...

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back