Iron Woman - Work in Progress!

RisaChan

Hello!! Risa here :D

Ok so this is my first time posting on therpf.com (tho i've been going through this forum for yeaaars because it's an awesome community!!!). I'm really excited to post some of the work in progress for my Iron Woman cosplay that I will be wearing to ColossalCon in a few weeks! I've really wanted to start one of these threads because I feel like this community is super knowledgable with props and costumes... there are some areas that I may need a lot of help with, and I know that I can depend on therpf for the solution ^_^ !!!

Below is my original Iron Woman cosplay! It was a huge success when I wore it - however, it was my first time ever doing ANYTHINGGG with armor, and the entire cosplay was EXTREMELY flimsy. The chest was made out of cardboard, wrapped with vinyl fabric on top. Then.... I ran out of vinyl and switched to foam. The difference in the material is so painfully obvious. I was on a time crunch so I had to do with what I had. I'm okay with the results.... but now that I've worked with EVA foam and armor a lot over the years, I feel way more confident about tackling another version of Iron Woman!!

858841_213928138745950_57763702_o.jpg 858637_213622912109806_311051736_o.jpg
More pictures for reference are on my facebook - http://facebook.com/RisaCosplay

I'm using darkside501st AMAZING pepakura 3D models to build the majority of this costume. The biggest change I'm making is improvising the chest area to make the costume more feminine! I'll be referencing deadmanawake's Iron Woman for the chest area.... but more conservative with the tiddies haha!
iron_girl_by_deadmanawake-d4zz9k1.jpg

I've already finished the gauntlets and shoulders and will post those asap!! And today I tackled the entire back piece... I wanted to get that done and over with first since I figure it's the biggest and probably most detailed piece of the cosplay. Here are some photos!!!

Photo on 5-21-15 at 1.27 AM #3.jpg Photo on 5-21-15 at 2.03 AM.jpg

Expect a lot of updates :)

Photo on 5-26-15 at 4.41 AM.jpg

Helmet fits perfectly!! Used Blackout's Mk 45 template to create the helmet!

What do you guys suggest I use for lifting the faceplate up and down? I was watching XRobot's tutorial on how to make an electric motorized faceplate (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBRoMPvzTcQ). Planning to use the same wire set up that he has, but if anyone has any simplified suggestions that would help a ton!

Thank you guys SO much for all of the support!!! Working on the chest piece tonight - Will post more progress photos :D !!

Welcome Risa Chan!:)
Your first armor has some imperfections but a very good look, and i think that your second armor is going to be better that first. In italy we are used to saying: "the appetite comes with eating":lol
Therefore i wish you good work and I can't wait to see it finished:popcorn:thumbsup

View attachment 482408

Helmet fits perfectly!! Used Blackout's Mk 45 template to create the helmet!

What do you guys suggest I use for lifting the faceplate up and down? I was watching XRobot's tutorial on how to make an electric motorized faceplate (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBRoMPvzTcQ). Planning to use the same wire set up that he has, but if anyone has any simplified suggestions that would help a ton!

Thank you guys SO much for all of the support!!! Working on the chest piece tonight - Will post more progress photos :D !!

Check the search bar for face plate hinge tutorial, there are loads of threads on here with different methods explained, pick the one that suits you most.

Thanks for all the suggestions for the face plate! Definitely experimenting with different methods to see which one works the best

By the way, here is the progress on the chest piece! Going for a more feminine look... right now everything looks weird with the crazy colors, but this hopefully gives you an idea of what I'm going after!

Everything is just made out of EVA foam tiles and held with hot glue. To get the pattern of the chest piece, I had my friend cover me with aluminum foil and duct tape for an exact fit! We then drew the design of the chest piece on top of the foil wrapped around my body! Then I cut it up and transferred the foil pieces to foam. Making foam patterns out of foil creates infinite possibilities!!!

11243778_4591878314918_1815266026_o.jpg

11355563_4591878194915_24176497_n.jpg

11328790_4591878034911_1468836768_n.jpg

Sorry I haven't posted in so long!!! So towards the last week of the con... i pulled 3 all nighters to get this cosplay done. I was so wrapped up in the stress that I didn't really get to post progress photos! Gonna go backwards and post my progress photos!

Anyways, here is the final product! To be honest - I'm still working on this costume. Gonna re-do the hips and thighs. Also gonna try and figure out if I can re-do the paint job. Rushed that part and not completely happy with how it turned out. I avoid any pictures that show the legs LOL.

IMG_1407-2.jpg

IMG_1406.jpg

For more pictures of the cosplay, you can check out my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/RisaCosplay

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back