Iron Man & War Machine Build -UPDATE: StyroSpray Results

Capt TJ

UPDATED 05/0/13: HELP!

That's right, I've officially started my build on not one, but TWO Iron Man builds at the same time!

I'm making an Iron Man (MarK IV) for my brother (as a surprise), and War Machine for myself. I've decided to go with Pep for the better detail. Life is significantly easier during this build due to my recent purchase of a Silhoutte Cameo. If you are into Pep building, then you NEED to have one of these!

I'm planning on documenting as much as I can...both good and bad. If you have any questions or requests as I move forward in this process, please let me know.

Thanks: I'll try to update this portion as I move through the build. If I miss someone, please let me know.
Build in general - My amazing, lovely, sexy wife. (Think that will help?)
War Machine Pep files - Zabana, Stagefivedrift & ???
Iron Man Pep files - Robo3687, Sharkmark & ???

Last edited:
Re: Iron Man & War Machine Build At The Same Time

Can't wait to see your progress :) My fiance P4r4dox86 is currently building a patriot. And I just looked up the Silhouette Cameo and I need one!! not want.. need!

I invested in a Silhouette Cameo, best decision of my life. Although i haven't figured out how to make perforated cuts yet, it still cuts down build-time by at-least half. I also bought 5 extra blades as a precaution because I've read that they can go dull quickly; although i haven't seen a decrease in cutting speed after 100 pages or so. I would highly recommend in investing in one.

Iron Man & War Machine Build At The Same Time

I invested in a Silhouette Cameo, best decision of my life. Although i haven't figured out how to make perforated cuts yet, it still cuts down build-time by at-least half. I also bought 5 extra blades as a precaution because I've read that they can go dull quickly; although i haven't seen a decrease in cutting speed after 100 pages or so. I would highly recommend in investing in one.

Perforations are easy. On the properties screen for the cutter, click on the second tab. Click on add. Change the color to red and select dashed line. Set the two cut distances to .02 inches. Auto perforations!

Perforations are easy. On the properties screen for the cutter, click on the second tab. Click on add. Change the color to red and select dashed line. Set the two cut distances to .02 inches. Auto perforations!

Do i have to change the fold line colors?

Nope. Must make the changes I mentioned and you're all set.

First of all, I have to admit that I've renamed my Cameo. Naturally, there is only one name for it, so from now on I'll be referencing it by the name of JARVIS.

Here we have the screen layout sending a page to JARVIS for printing, an action shot, a pile of friggin' paper and the process of fold, glue, rinse, repeat....

Attachments

• 21296-preparing-cut-silhouette-cameo.jpg
    21296-preparing-cut-silhouette-cameo.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 172
  • 21295-j-r-v-i-s-action.jpg
    21295-j-r-v-i-s-action.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 139
  • 21293-pile-pep.jpg
    21293-pile-pep.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 21294-war-machine.jpg
    21294-war-machine.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

As I become increasingly frustrated with building these out of paper, I'm curious how much of a drawback it is to build out of foam.

People say that foam is less detailed...but how much?
As far as the finish, if I seal the foam, wouldn't it be just as good as pep or fiberglass? (I've seen some foam builds where you can see the creases in the paint from the foam flexing).

Suggestions or opinions are appreciated at this point.

If you re looking for a easy suit to make then foam
If you re looking for a very good looking suit then pep
The pep method gives you waaaaaaaaaaaay more detail and
A more accurate shape.

Ugh, so disappointed! With the War Machine helmet at about 95% done, I find out that it's a bit too small for me. Now I'm at a huge cross road....what to do...what to do....

While I figure crap out, here's a few pics:

Attachments

• 21532-image.jpg
    21532-image.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 21534-image.jpg
    21534-image.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

detail and strength decrease with foam... build TIME and comfort of wear increase SIGNIFICANTLY... many paper and fiberglass the helmet and foam the rest... if you want the suit to look like tony just built it and its just come out of the paint booth then paper... if worn a little and battle damaged then just use foam, the creases give it character and add to a damaged look...

big job doing 2 at once, looking forward to your progress :)

Don't be disappointed about the small helmet, I think many of us had to build some parts two or even three times to get the scale right. Scale it a bit up, use the measure distance between points function, and you'll get it right next time. As for the paper/foam dilemma, if you have time, and patience, you can build a good looking and very strong suit, if you're short on time, just make the helmet from paper, and the rest from foam. Lookin' forward to the rest of the build.

Last edited:

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

I'm not short on time...really don't have a schedule for these. I'm going to scale up another part of the build and see how it turns out.

Look out Cameo...you've got some cuttin' to do!

Iron Man & War Machine Build At The Same Time

So, I am just about done with a WM arm, and I have (again) made it too small. Can someone explain to me the sizing in pep? If the model is at a scale of 1, does increasing it to 1.1 make it 10% larger?

So, I am just about done with a WM arm, and I have (again) made it too small. Can someone explain to me the sizing in pep? If the model is at a scale of 1, does increasing it to 1.1 make it 10% larger?

correct.

there are measurement tools within the pep designer which allow to you better adjust the scale to suit yourself.

I really wish that my Cameo could cut foam! Ugh....and this is just the beginning.

Attachments

• 21915-start-war-machine-boot.jpg
    21915-start-war-machine-boot.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

As I was building the boot, I realized that the foam I was using is just too thick. I then went out and got a few rolls of the 1/4" foam. Wow, what a difference. I'm guessing that thicker foam is handy for some sections, so feel free to chime in with your experiences.

Today I finished one of the lower arm pieces! You have no idea how big of a victory this is. Now, it may not be the prettiest, but I know that after sealing, bondo and plasticizing, it should look pretty nice.

For the inlay portion, I left that area empty. I then cut out the inserts at a larger scale so I could glue them on the inside of the forearm. A very easy way to add the detail, without having to fiddle around too much.

Just a quick update. Finished the left bicep tonight. I think it turned out really nice. It just needs to be shaped a bit (I'm thinking a hair drier should help). Currently working on the chest piece.

Picked up some Mod Podge today. After the pieces are done, I'll apply the Mod Podge, then I'll use Smooth Cast 65D to plastic coat it. Bondo, sand, Bondo, sand....then paint!

I have the chest piece finished! Currently working on the back piece, and so far, the shoulder pieces line up pretty nice. I will have to do some trimming/joining, but that won't be necessary until later in the game.

One part I'm having an issue with is the fingers. What thickness foam did you use to make fingers? I'm almost thinking about doing the fingers in paper, and the hand in foam.

Anyway, see the attachments for pics of the chest piece.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back