Iron Man MKVI and War Machine Pepakura while Deployed WIP

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by sgtski, Dec 21, 2011.

1. sgtski

sgtski Member

I am deployed overseas in the sandbox for awhile. I know what the news says, but some of us will still be here, lucky me. Might as well be productive. This is my first full armor build from Pep. I started awhile ago with some Halo parts but my partner for the project lost interest. I never went past the Resin on the outside and Rondo on the inside. Since I am deployed, i am limited to materials. I would like to at least get one of the 2 wearable, even if it needs final smoothing and electronics. I would really appreciate any constructive comments. I do not think i will be able to get bondo and fiberglass resin shipped and it will be hard to find a place to use it, I am going to use Smooth cast for the hardening. If anyone has experience with this method, please offer any suggestions. I tried 300 but it cures to fast, i will be trying 321, i think next. I would like to use fiberglass on the inside. Any thoughts on using glass with smoothcast 321?
    On with the pics, I have so far 2 helmets and a War machine Shin. Iron man chest almost fully pepped and WM forearm almost fully pepped. i will get the rest of the pics up as soon as i can.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. STEALTH

STEALTH Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

3. madmax

madmax Sr Member

You've done better than me and i'm at home...cool work

4. sgtski

sgtski Member

thank you madmax, it just takes time.
    thank you for the links stealth, i havent heard of the epoximate but i like the 1:1 of the 321. I am not sure if i can get the adhesive spray shipped but i might be able to find something that will work in a pump or brush on applicator. That was the video that actually gave me the idea. What do you think of using some elmers glue-all thinned out with some water to help the placement of the glass? I wouldnt mind having to wait for the diluted water/glue to dry before 321. Time I have plenty of. Its groundhog day here.

5. josh2112

josh2112 New Member

Looks great!

6. simul8r

simul8r Member

From one military to another, hang in there and nice way to keep yourself preoccupied. Just hope you're able to get whatever you've finished shipped out and undamaged.

7. sgtski

sgtski Member

MKVI chest[​IMG]

WM shin
    [​IMG]

I will be shipping home in foot lockers with extra clothes for padding.

8. j0wE

j0wE Well-Known Member

Looking great!! And thank you for being out there for us!

9. wickedoffroad

wickedoffroad Active Member

I agree, it looks good. Nice clean lines, and sharp folding. I wish I had known about pepekura before i was deployed..its a great way to kill some deadtime.

10. kdoty

kdoty New Member

The build is looking very good,keep up the good work. And thanks for being out there for us and stay safe.

11. PR85

PR85 New Member

Very impressive man. You did a great job on those pieces!

12. tadowski

tadowski New Member

looking good!!! Keep us posted....

13. KyleS

KyleS New Member

tax dollars well spent. lookin good bro!

14. G33k

G33k Member

Merry Christmas! And thank you for your service. Your work's looking good! Is that shin from the War Machine?

15. sgtski

sgtski Member

Yes, so far i have the WM shin and helmet and almost finished one of the forearms.
    I have the chest and helmet for Iron Man MKVI I will be focusing more on the MKVI and then continue the WM. Waiting on some smoothcast 321 and fiberglass to really start hardening and finishing these pieces. Thank you KyleS for your help with materials.

16. NexusFX

NexusFX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

what war machine file did you use?, Im putting together the hd file and it seems too small at default scale but the pieces are too big for the page if i scale up.

17. sgtski

sgtski Member

Here is the MKVI back
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is the WM forearm
    [​IMG]

I have to look and see where i got the WM file from.

18. NexusFX

NexusFX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

dont worry about it, my buddy decided to go hawkeye for wondercon

19. breakpoint

breakpoint Member

Looks nice ;D keep up the good work

20. sgtski

sgtski Member

I just finished the Cod piece and it looks like I will need to rescale and remake it. :( I will post some pics later when i get off and have access to a printer. Thank you all for the comments. I have some Fiberglass cloth and smoothcast 321 in the mail on their way to me.

21. KyleS

KyleS New Member

Indeed it is. The new armor pieces look great!!

22. RodNoc

RodNoc New Member

That looks great! I think I'm sold on trying out a WM helmet next.

23. sgtski

sgtski Member

Just received the Fiberglass and Smoothcast 321 in the mail. I put the 321 on my back piece and i am pretty happy with the results. I will be fiber glassing the inside with the 321 either today or tomorrow. Work has been a litle hectic here latley. I will post some pics real soon.

24. sgtski

sgtski Member

Finished one of the shins.
    [​IMG]

Hardened the outside of the back with some Smooth Cast 321.
    [​IMG]

Fiberglass and Smoothcast 321 on the inside of the back.
    [​IMG]

The back is a little warped. I am hoping i can coax it back into shape with a heatgun.

25. sgtski

sgtski Member

I still have to harden them but i couldn't resist a chance to test fit.
    So far the helmet,neck, chest, back, 1 forearm, 1 thigh, and 2 shins are Pepped. One shin is hardened on the outside and back has fiberglass on the inside. My cod piece was too small so i will have to reprint and remake it. 1 bicep is almost finished, it was printed without edge ID so it is going a little slower than i would like.
    [​IMG]

26. Jodo

Jodo Sr Member

That is amazing!!!! I've never really understood how pepakura works...But with those results, I can't knock it at all!

27. sgtski

sgtski Member

2 shins, 1 thigh, 1 foot, chest, back, 1 fore arm, 1 bicep, helmet pepped.
    [​IMG]

28. sgtski

sgtski Member

sorry for duplicate

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  29. Jodo

Jodo Sr Member

Hey man, looking good! :D

Do you mind me asking what files you're using for this? I think that I might try to pep something now, seeing your stuff has got me inspired!

30. sgtski

sgtski Member

I will have to double check where i got them. I know it was a zip or rar file with all of the parts i am making and the chest and collar for the MKIV.

Can some of you who have completed Iron Man from Pepakura post a few pics of how you attach the suit together? I am curious how you handle the elbows and knees. The Pep files seem to look like they should be secured together but it isn't obvious to me how to do that yet. Any help would be awesome. I am limited on materials and tools so I will have to be creative.

31. sgtski

sgtski Member

the helmet file says.....modeled by sharkhead7854 and unfolded by dubean33. Thank you guys for the files.

32. sgtski

sgtski Member

I will post a new pic soon, both thighs, shins, boots, and biceps are pepped. helmet, neck,chest and back are pepped. some parts are hardened with smoothcast 321. back has fiberglass on the inside. I will be switching to Epoximate on recommendation from Stealth. Can someone do me a favor and take some close up pics of the hip pod with a ruler for scale? Or point me to a pep file. I am thinking I should be able to sculpt one with clay and mold it with some rebound my brother sent me(thanks). Did anyone who used these files have to rescale the cod piece? I put it together without adjusting it and its too small. I am printing it with +20% right now and should have it together in 2-3 days.
    Sorry for the low quality, poor lighting and my camera battery is dead, this is my ipod camera.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  33. Bigturc

Bigturc Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Good job on your suit mate .. coming along nicely!! Worst job is done with paper .. now unto putty! :)

I haven't done the War Machine, but my iron man pelvis was scaled up to 115% (Dancing Fools files) and I'm wearing 33 pants .. there's no way anyone is fitting in the default version of these!! It's really built to look good proportion-wise .. not for a wearer. So I'd say even if 20% seems a little large, it can be a nice bet depending on your own shape! ;)

On another note, I also followed Stealth's tip and went from polyester resin to EpoxAmite and god I love the stuff .. I can even do it in my home instead of the garage and there's no smell at all!!! I'd prefer a little longer pot life, but it's way worth it in any case!

Good luck with the rest of the work on this!

Al

34. propnoob74

propnoob74 Well-Known Member

Nice job sgtski; thanks for your service, I hope you can come home soon and see your family...Hey, question...did you have to scale the helmet? I want to print it but I'm so bad at scaling, I measure my head and is 23.5 in around...I'm looking for a reference but not a lot of luck...also what kind of glue did you use?

Thanks in advance man!!!! Hooah!!!

David

35. davy

davy Well-Known Member

Hey go to MY iron man build there are a Video of knees and pictures mybe it can help you.

36. sgtski

sgtski Member

2lrg4hr, i did not change the scale on the helmet, i have not been able to try it on yet since i have not cut the back out yet. It is pretty close to my War Machine helmet and that fits fine.
    I use hot glue. low temp doesnt hurt as much when you get burned but it cools and faster. if you make a mistake, you have to reheat that section to soften the glue. I also use regular elmers glue all.
    Davey, can you post a link?

37. propnoob74

propnoob74 Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the help...I'm building my armor out of foam; but I am making the helmet myself...I am printing mine as we speak...hopefully it fits....

Be safe there...

Regards
    David

38. sgtski

sgtski Member

So i think i am at the point a lot of you have been before. I have almost all of the major parts pepped and some of them have smoothcast 321 on the outside. the back has fiberglass on the inside and i am pretty sure there is some deformity. I am at the point where i am starting to have my doubts about how my progress is going. I have about 6 months left here and i really want to have this wearable before i leave. By wearable i mean everything but the bondo work. I am going to sand and paint it. the goal is to look decent at 20 feet. Those of you that rescaled the cod piece, did you rescale the ab piece the same so it will fit together?

39. davy

davy Well-Known Member

Men dont give up !! i was working 2 years ago on it and it failed give you realy much time for this nice project you have make a realy nice start on it look forward and not back. Dont give up !!!!!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  40. Bigturc

Hey Ski,

I know how you feel .. you look at your part and all the work that went into it and then you thinhk this was all for nothing! But ...

I'm also at the fiberglass stage right now .. and god knows my first part I glassed was quite a poor job .. just the fact I was using a bad batch of polyester resin didn't help at all!!! I moved on to EpoxAmite. I was still quite sad seeing my parts were quite warped in some spot even though the glassing went much better and smoother on the next parts. So I just got them hot with a hair dryer and manipulated them back to shape .. All of a sudden, my motivation went back a huge notch!!! This whole warm them and reshape them back is truly awesome!!!

As for the abs piece, I've already glassed my cod piece to realize it was too small (DF files at 110%) so I redid it from the 2nd version of DF at 115% and it's still too small!!! So I'll do it again probably and yeah, you will have to rescale the ab parts unless you cut and extend them.

By the way, the new Pepakura designer version has a new rule feature that can measure between 2 points .. super useful for rescaling!!! Everyone should use this instead of the eye balling technic!!!

Hopefully that'll help!

41. Bigturc

Hey Sgt,

I know how you feel .. you look at your part and all the work that went into it and then you thinhk this was all for nothing! But ...

I'm also at the fiberglass stage right now .. and god knows my first part I glassed was quite a poor job .. just the fact I was using a bad batch of polyester resin didn't help at all!!! I moved on to EpoxAmite. I was still quite sad seeing my parts were quite warped in some spot even though the glassing went much better and smoother on the next parts. So I just got them hot with a hair dryer and manipulated them back to shape .. All of a sudden, my motivation went back a huge notch!!! This whole warm them and reshape them back is truly awesome!!!

As for the abs piece, I've already glassed my cod piece to realize it was too small (DF files at 110%) so I redid it from the 2nd version of DF at 115% and it's still too small!!! So I'll do it again probably and yeah, you will have to rescale the ab parts unless you cut and extend them.

By the way, the new Pepakura designer version has a new ruler feature that can measure between 2 points .. super useful for rescaling!!! Everyone should use this instead of the eye balling technic!!!

Hopefully that'll help!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  42. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

My only wish about the ruler feature in the new Pepakura is that it wouldn't wrap around the object. So you could measure the gap between 2 pieces, IE the neck hole or something like that.

43. Bigturc

Sleeper,
    Unless I'm not getting what you're refering at .. I'm not talking about the "Recalculate Parts Layout" that takes the global object coordinate and find the extent of the triangles .. but really the "Distance between 2 points" feature in the 2D menu. Which is exactly what you're saying ..

44. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

I must be crazy, I swear I tried this the other night and it was wrapping along the piece. So instead of going from left armpit to right armpit, it would go along the front of the chest. But I just tried it now and it's working fine. Weird!

45. sgtski

sgtski Member

Thank you guys for the positive messages. I am not going to give up on this, there are a lot of battle buddies here that want to see me finish this costume. I would love to be able to walk a 5k in it, but by the time it is that wearable, it will be the middle of the summer and i would probably die. I resized the ab file +20% and the bottom back part fits the cod perfectly. I think I saw on Davy's wip that he attached the sides and the back of the ab/mid section and left the front separate, I think i will be doing the same. I connected 1 thigh to the shin and i am hardening them together for a better fit when i go to separate them later. I just received my 10.8V dremel from amazon today and that should help me with detailing and trimming fiberglass excess. I will post some more pics soon when i get the ab section pepped and attached to the cod. Back to work.....

46. from hell

from hell New Member

GREAT JOB!!!:)

47. SupermanReturns

SupermanReturns New Member

looks great

48. sgtski

sgtski Member

as promised.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the one side is a little off at the top. i wil try to fix it before i harden it.
    i have to get the ab pieces together but they are pepped. everything is pepped but one forearm. next i will be checking all the parts for scale and rebuild what i must and fiberglass the rest. then start sanding and painting. Im not going to bondo here. I'm just going to sand to remove excess resin and smooth the parts out a little and then paint and attach a crude harness to keep it all on. I will fix the harness and bondo back home. All goes well, i might start an ODST build here as well.

49. davy

davy Well-Known Member

good thats you not giving up men !! your codpice looking very good !!!

50. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If you haven't found a solution yet for attaching the elbows and knees, you need Chicago screws. The forearm and bicep connect at the elbow joint, and are joined together on each side with a set of screws. This allows the joint to be hinged, and move freely

[​IMG]