Iron man MK40. [SHOTGUN/HYPERVELOCITY] polycarbonate build

Re: the polycarbonate shotgun/hypervelocity suit from iron man 3

Looks great, good idea to do it as a solid piece, much easier to work with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20140624_195303.jpg
20140624_195328.jpg
Smoothed the rear panels because i had to put a raised strip of poly to keep how raised it was consistent with the lower parts. And a scale up with the old helm. The helm is a tad larger scale than it should be and ill be adjusting the jaw so i can turn my head a little more

Last edited:

Ordered some modelling putty for plastic. Im tired of filling the smallest of seams and edges just to crack and break. Will post results when it arrives.

I expect it will be like plasticine. It hasnt arrived yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Next step is to fill seams and imperfections with the putty when it arrives.20140703_140248.jpg20140703_140241.jpg

those pieces look like all the mecha creations from my dreams haha... beautiful stuff. looking forward!

Awesome idea using polycarb! If I come across some spare cash, I might buy a few sheets and try it out. This is probably a little late to mention this, (since you've already constructed the torso) but wouldn't an acrylic cement be a better option for glueing polycarb together instead of hot glue? An acrylic cement would bond (known as solvent welding) the joins together, essentially making the plastic one whole piece so the bond will never break.

Awesome idea using polycarb! If I come across some spare cash, I might buy a few sheets and try it out. This is probably a little late to mention this, (since you've already constructed the torso) but wouldn't an acrylic cement be a better option for glueing polycarb together instead of hot glue? An acrylic cement would bond (known as solvent welding) the joins together, essentially making the plastic one whole piece so the bond will never break.

the poly build is going to be a male mold for a final solid plastic piece using rtv rubber molds. originally the suit was going to be 100% poly but the hot glue i used becomes brittle and the curved and bent parts are under extreme tension meaning i cant make pop up weapons etc.

i do like the idea of acrylic cement but i dont fancy holding plastic under tension while it cures lol if you do decide to use acrylic cement do let me know how it goes.

PUTTY UPDATE.
it works beautifully. filling in hair line seams is fast and simple and it looks like one solid piece instead of sheets now. pics soon to come.

Wow fantastic work, I am impressed with the results! I was actually thinking of doing a styrene based build next, I will also give the poly a shot and be using your thread as reference. :thumbsup

hm the way I see it, your project seems to be under tension even after its glued, no? I've used acrylic cement before, it dissolves the edges of your plastic so you have to make sure there is maximum contact between the two. and it cures in less than a minute so it'd be great if you had an extra pair of hands to stabilise everything..

hm the way I see it, your project seems to be under tension even after its glued, no? I've used acrylic cement before, it dissolves the edges of your plastic so you have to make sure there is maximum contact between the two. and it cures in less than a minute so it'd be great if you had an extra pair of hands to stabilise everything..

its an interesting idea provided it works on poly. i might give it a shot, but the poly build will only serve as a first mold so as long as it stays together untill casted it doesnt make much difference. ill look into it though, may be a good alternative. thanks for the advice :D

Okay heres some pics. First is an example of a gappy seam. Second is globbed putty. This is an example of the finish. The putty is even white like the primer!
20140710_133134.jpg20140704_211645.jpg20140710_133953.jpg20140710_134013.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back