Iron Man Mk VII Helmet Pepakura build

Eyes done, still looking for better smaller batteries than the 2 fat 9v batteries I got behind the face powering my 6 white leds.View attachment 219321
also needs to install a switch to control it when its on helmet. not clipping the two wires on each eye.

You certainly don't need two 9V batteries to power those LED's. You're going to blow another set with that much power running to them. Splice the wires together and run both eyes to one 9V. Even then you should probably have a resistor to shed off the extra voltage. As for the chip in the paint, if it's just the clearcoat then you can just add some more clear and wetsand/buff it afterwards to blend it back in.

Thanks a lot, I will do some testing with 1 battery and see what I get. if it works I might then try to make the whole thing even lighter by replacing that one with a stck of tiny disklike watch batteries. I hope that'll do the trick because I definitely don't know how to resistor. and thanks for the tip for the face chip. I'll give it a go and see what I get. pretty sure its mostly the clear that's chipped. BTW, great work on your own helmet. a lot of the time I was building I was checking out your set of videos for tips. Just Great Work.

You certainly don't need two 9V batteries to power those LED's. You're going to blow another set with that much power running to them. Splice the wires together and run both eyes to one 9V. Even then you should probably have a resistor to shed off the extra voltage. As for the chip in the paint, if it's just the clearcoat then you can just add some more clear and wetsand/buff it afterwards to blend it back in.

Thanks for the tip, but having tried that, one 9v square battery does not work for powering all 6 LED's connected in series. and the other way would lead to one eye glowing way brighter than the other, so I'm not sure if I understood what you meant by that. they dont even turn on at all with 1 9V battery.

Ok so I've gone ahead and actually completely re-done the finish on the faceplate. and built the hinges. now only thing I need to do is attach it to the helmet.

Brilliant work, I am in exactly the same position as you dude, I have just finished pepping my IM helmet (using Darksides pep file) and was thinking about how much can be 'helped' in the filler stage - your thread has been an inspiration and reassurance. I have just posted my current status here:
http://www.therpf.com/f24/hello-all-190904/

My intention is a foam Mk3 suit with this Mk7 helmet

I've duly subscribed to your thread :D

Wow you have done some good work here. You also did a good job explaining step by step how you did it and the roadblocks you have come across. I may have missed it when I read through, but how did you do the screw heads?

Sorry, I've been feeling a bit out of it lately, but heres whats up.

you've done some really nice work there, keep it up
Have you had a look at this thread yet?(for face plate and eyes)
http://www.therpf.com/f24/iron-man-motorised-faceplate-electronics-tutorial-170853/
I have looked upon it many times, but unfortunately I have decided I wasn't satisfied with this build or believe that I have the skill to fit electronics and servos/motors/all other ideas I've seen in the helmet and have it work smoothly. thanks a lot for the compliment though. always nice :)

Wow you have done some good work here. You also did a good job explaining step by step how you did it and the roadblocks you have come across. I may have missed it when I read through, but how did you do the screw heads?

Thanks, I did try my best. the screwheads I went out and looked for actual screws and sawed off their heads with a cutting wheel on my dremel, and then i drilled in slots out through the faceplate, filled those holes in with body filler and stuck the screws in there while it was still soft, and then resanded the surfaces smooth.

Its a very clean work...how?!!:)

Brilliant work, I am in exactly the same position as you dude, I have just finished pepping my IM helmet (using Darksides pep file) and was thinking about how much can be 'helped' in the filler stage - your thread has been an inspiration and reassurance. I have just posted my current status here:
http://www.therpf.com/f24/hello-all-190904/

My intention is a foam Mk3 suit with this Mk7 helmet

I've duly subscribed to your thread :D

Well I'm very glad that this post might've helped some people, as I really went through this with no idea what to expect so that way i can share my good and bad surprises there. And as long as you got filler and the patience to sand it right, nothing is lost. the one thing i learnt. you have a really good start on your build too btw.

So like I said I've been a bit out of it lately, but I did not want to be one of those that did so much work and then got lazy and decided not to finish or skimp on the quality ( apart from motorizing the face and having a movable jaw, I cancelled that too)
So the helmet is done.

It is now in one piece, with a manually lifting and descending faceplate, that locks open so as not to fall down by itself.

The eyes are illuminated, and they are very easily see-through. they have 3x3V white LED's running along about 1 inch above each eye and there is a blue plastic layer that filters and refracts the light coming down so that it hits the white mesh fabric evenly and blue-coloured.

the jaw IS stuck on, and the earpods, which are still only pepped and resined and require replacement when I will find a material I like working with, are hot-glued on for removability when the time comes.

the face hinges are also glued to both parts of the helmet and hence the face is no longer detachable for fiddling with.

2 things I want to do real soon:
-hot-glue padding on the inside so that the helmet fits comfortably (using strips of cheap yoga mat)
-I still really need help for setting up a smaller lighter and better battery connection system to each eye, as I have not found any alternatives to the 9v battery powering each eye individually, resulting in extra weight, genereal chunkiness inside the helmet, and uneven lighting, due to one of my batteries being bad.
If anyone has any idea how to improve on my system, please do let me know.

Pictures coming soon, and that's all, folks. cheers for reading my rants :)

And here's the Photos :D.
IMAG0438.jpg IMAG0439.jpg IMAG0440.jpg IMAG0441.jpg IMAG0442.jpg IMAG0443.jpg IMAG0444.jpg IMAG0445.jpg IMAG0446.jpg

and yes I know the "inside" shot isn't that that clear but it is the honest best I can do. hope you like it :)
if anyone has tips for powering the eyes that looks cleaner and is smaller to fit inside, please do share, and good luck to anyone attempting a similar build. I hope this thread, though definitely not done by a skilled craftsman, can have been of some help.

time to focus on Link's master Sword and Hylian Shield. maybe I'll return to the rest of the Iron armor sometime. feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Damnation out! :D

And here's the Photos :D.
View attachment 226576 View attachment 226577 View attachment 226578 View attachment 226579 View attachment 226581 View attachment 226582 View attachment 226583 View attachment 226584 View attachment 226585

and yes I know the "inside" shot isn't that that clear but it is the honest best I can do. hope you like it :)
if anyone has tips for powering the eyes that looks cleaner and is smaller to fit inside, please do share, and good luck to anyone attempting a similar build. I hope this thread, though definitely not done by a skilled craftsman, can have been of some help.

time to focus on Link's master Sword and Hylian Shield. maybe I'll return to the rest of the Iron armor sometime. feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Damnation out! :D

i am blind!!! a cant see servos and arduino!!! i am blind:D and why did you not wear it on photo? unless this - its unbelievable great work!:thumbsup

i am blind!!! a cant see servos and arduino!!! i am blind:D and why did you not wear it on photo? unless this - its unbelievable great work!:thumbsup

There are no servos or arduino or picaxe or even simple motors, which are all known to be pretty effective way of automating the faceplates. and I didnt wear it because it's not padded on the inside yet, so it hangs too low, and because i have a terrible phone camera and there is no way any one will ever convince me taking a selfie with it a good idea, helmet or not ;)

Glad you like it :D

There are no servos or arduino or picaxe or even simple motors, which are all known to be pretty effective way of automating the faceplates. and I didnt wear it because it's not padded on the inside yet, so it hangs too low, and because i have a terrible phone camera and there is no way any one will ever convince me taking a selfie with it a good idea, helmet or not ;)

Glad you like it :D

its look fantastic and without servos. nice job. :thumbsup
when you will have a time - visit my first project - carbon iron man http://www.therpf.com/f24/carbon-iron-man-ukraine-193431/
its not a spoiler :ninja

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back