Iron Man Mk III helmet

sp00n

So I stumbled upon the RPF a few days ago and decided to register and have a look here :)
I've started an Iron Man Mk. III helmet. It's my first ever. All comments are welcome good and bad, I wanna learn this as well as some of you out there :)
Here are some progress pics. It's not done yet.

DSC_0444.jpg

DSC_0452-1.jpg

DSC_0445.jpg

I don't want to get ahead of things, first finish this one. I am going to make the neckpiece so I can display it. Not sure on making the whole suit there are so many files out there, I don't know which ones to use :p

Thanks for the welcome BreakPoint! Well first I'm finishing this one. (And I dont want to cut another helmet right now:)
I'm still looking for some ideas when I put the resin on as it's a 3 piece helmet.
And I dont know how to get it all nice and tight fitted. It is now hold together with some masking tape on the inside, but not sure if that will hold.

Some more progress. Top of the helmet is now finished. I also finished the ear pieces and the lower back piece. I just can't really get them to fit right. I started on the lower back first so its kinda out of shape compared to the earpiece.

DSC_0462.jpg

DSC_0470.jpg

(J's also wanted to be in the picture :p)

So I finished the helmet today. Now I need to find a way to put the resin on it and keep it 3 pieces. Any tips/suggestions are welcome

DSC_0497.jpg

It is best to resin/fiberglass as one piece, and then separate later. If you try to do it in separate pieces, you'll end up with some warping, and the pieces won't fit together like they should

It is best to resin/fiberglass as one piece, and then separate later. If you try to do it in separate pieces, you'll end up with some warping, and the pieces won't fit together like they should

So I'd best glue the complete helmet together and start with the resin on the outside, cut it open and do the fiberglass mats on the inside. Will the resin alone give enough strength to cut it open? I read in one of the topics people use vaseline or tinfoil between the pieces. Sorry for asking all these questions but I want it to turn out good

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back