Iron Man Mk III helmet

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by sp00n, Dec 14, 2011.

1. sp00n

sp00n New Member

So I stumbled upon the RPF a few days ago and decided to register and have a look here :)
    I've started an Iron Man Mk. III helmet. It's my first ever. All comments are welcome good and bad, I wanna learn this as well as some of you out there :)
    Here are some progress pics. It's not done yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JediJayne

JediJayne Well-Known Member

Looks good, nice clean lines. You planning on tackling the whole suit?

3. sp00n

sp00n New Member

I don't want to get ahead of things, first finish this one. I am going to make the neckpiece so I can display it. Not sure on making the whole suit there are so many files out there, I don't know which ones to use :p

4. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

If your doing a Mark3 there really is only one set of files to use. Same ones I'm using, DF's they are the best period. ;)
    http://www.therpf.com/f9/iron-man-m...asting-page-6-a-99878/index4.html#post1832469

5. sp00n

sp00n New Member

Finhead, your suit looks amazing!!! And thanks for the tip. I'll look into DF's files tomorrow.

6. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

7. breakpoint

breakpoint Member

8. sp00n

sp00n New Member

Thanks for the welcome BreakPoint! Well first I'm finishing this one. (And I dont want to cut another helmet right now:)
    I'm still looking for some ideas when I put the resin on as it's a 3 piece helmet.
    And I dont know how to get it all nice and tight fitted. It is now hold together with some masking tape on the inside, but not sure if that will hold.

9. sp00n

sp00n New Member

Day 2 of the papermadness

So I started on the ear pieces today. This is what I've got so far.
    [​IMG]

10. sp00n

sp00n New Member

Some more progress. Top of the helmet is now finished. I also finished the ear pieces and the lower back piece. I just can't really get them to fit right. I started on the lower back first so its kinda out of shape compared to the earpiece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (J's also wanted to be in the picture :p)

11. sp00n

sp00n New Member

So I finished the helmet today. Now I need to find a way to put the resin on it and keep it 3 pieces. Any tips/suggestions are welcome

[​IMG]

12. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It is best to resin/fiberglass as one piece, and then separate later. If you try to do it in separate pieces, you'll end up with some warping, and the pieces won't fit together like they should

13. sp00n

sp00n New Member

So I'd best glue the complete helmet together and start with the resin on the outside, cut it open and do the fiberglass mats on the inside. Will the resin alone give enough strength to cut it open? I read in one of the topics people use vaseline or tinfoil between the pieces. Sorry for asking all these questions but I want it to turn out good