Iron man Mk I Foam Build (Chest started and Mk I Arc Reactor)

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by Demolition, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Demolition

Demolition Well-Known Member

hi guys was just playing around tonight and had ago at un-folding and making a foam pep file for a mk1 helmet original 3d file was made by Zabana and unfolded by myself , I knocked one up quick its a bit rough your more than welcome to jump on board and try and re-unfold it as im not one of the best at un-folding .

ok see what you think :D

[​IMG]

helmet MKI.pdo - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

and heres my attempt like i say its a quick rough build just to see what its like i think it needs to be a bit bigger it does fit but i think the size is wrong

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  2. davy

davy Well-Known Member

Re: Ironman mk1 Foam Helmet

Amazing work ! Can you make a paper File for it ? :)

3. Royal Dump

Royal Dump Active Member

Re: Ironman mk1 Foam Helmet

Nice work! Looks legit

all you have to do is show flaps and show edge id before printing.... then you can do paper

4. Demolition

Re: Ironman mk1 Foam Helmet (second attemp re-unfolded)Clean version

Hi guys played about with the file this morning made it cleaner and unfolded it again and knocked one up for you to see let me know what you think, Thanks again to Zabana for a superb 3d model :D

[​IMG]

helmet MKI.2.pdo - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Im going to add the raised edges with hot glue so it looks like weld lines like on the movie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  5. davy

davy Well-Known Member

Files looking better now :)

6. Dpeterson117

Dpeterson117 Active Member

Looks good!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

7. Dirty

Dirty Member

I will be starting mine tonight thanks for the unfold.

8. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

That unfold would lend itself very well to using sintra if you want to work the piece so it has the weld seam etc. Basically what I did for a base on my build. :)

9. Zabana

Zabana Well-Known Member

I like the work you´re doing Demolition but, and I don´t want to be rude in any kind if way, to give me a little credit for the helmet I did will be pretty wellcomed :rolleyes, you know the "original model by..." and such :thumbsup

10. Demolition

sorry Buddie wasn't any intention of me taking full credit for all the work i just grabbed the file from an online search and couldn't remember the artist ive edited my posts see what you think ill add more if needed just give me a shout please accept my apologies

11. Zabana

Zabana Well-Known Member

No prob man just wanted to be remembered a little for the file, I don´t really need lights announcing it like in Las Vegas you know :p

Anyway good job done on the helmet, if I can help you just tell me!

12. baden3

baden3 Active Member

Re: Ironman mk1 Foam Helmet (3d model by Zabana)(second attemp re-unfolded)Clean vers

great improvements on the helm! looking forward to this build keep it up man :D

13. Demolition

Re: Ironman mk1 Foam Helmet (3d model by Zabana)(painted and welding done)Clean versi

Hi guys i put the weld marks on today using hot glue gave it a base coat of charcoal grey and dry brushed it silver i think the metallic look came out really well see what you think :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. omel

omel Well-Known Member

Re: Ironman mk1 Foam Helmet (3d model by Zabana)(painted and welding done)Clean versi

Turning out really great bro. keep it up and keep everyone posted on further developments.

15. Loogie

Loogie New Member

Wow looks great can't wait to see more :thumbsup

16. pRoJectEarth7

pRoJectEarth7 Well-Known Member

You're doing GREAT man! (y)thumbsup

The foam texture made it look more like a cast iron which makes your helm a believeable metal material...:):thumbsup VERY NICE!!!

Now if you could only conseal the seam lines, it would be perfect...:love

Keep building... cheers!

17. Psicorp7

Psicorp7 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow! I would not have thought that just two coats of paint would make foam look that much like rough metal. Did you seal it with anything or just spray it on? It looks like the paint beaded up to create an even cooler texture.

The joy of doing the Mark I is that almost all your seams can be covered by a thick bead of hot glue for the welds. So even the cuts that are not so hot will be buried by glue anyway.

I would be interested to see if you attempt the whole build....good luck!

18. davy

davy Well-Known Member

The result is very nice men !

19. Zabana

Zabana Well-Known Member

Wow! I never could imagine such piece of art :love

20. Demolition

Hi guys was playing around today thinking about the Mk I Helmet i made and started looking at reference pics of the Mk I Armour and After visiting the Pound store Found a nice led light and thought about making the Mk I arc reactor i just need to add some wires and things but see what you think to the basics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then i got the building bug again and started work on the chest i made a frame first out of some old plastic signs i have laying around i used for my jango fett armor then just using pics for reference started cut foam free hand still abit to do but wanted to share my progress with you the engine on the back is going to be the hardest bit i just need to keep my eye out and start collecting pieces i can use also going to make a trip to the scrap yard and get some old wiring looms to add to it once painted see what you think:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

heres some reference pics of what im working from :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  21. Demolition

Thanks man i sealed it with 1 thin coat and one neat coat of pva then used a base coat of dark charcoal grey believe it or not its just matt emulsion paint you use on your walls and i used a brush and because its acrylic base it flexes really well and then dry brushed the top coat with a metallic silver version of the same paint i use camping mats and the foam is not smooth it has a slight mottled pattern to it so when you dry brush it it makes it look like metal

22. Kolin86

Kolin86 Active Member

Wow, looking at your build made me double check some of the reference images of the MK 1, only to find them all be there or correctly curved. Great job so far.

23. Demolition

Thanks mate ive added some reference pics of what ive been using to compare

24. ironmaided

ironmaided Sr Member

(y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

25. DOORMANMATT

DOORMANMATT Active Member

Good luck with the build! Not enough love for mk 1!

26. ultramantaro

ultramantaro Member

just what i wanted to build ! hope the thread starter post an update soon !

27. Don Juan

Don Juan Well-Known Member

Looks awesome keep up the work

28. 7sinzz

7sinzz Well-Known Member

Nice build man. I'm making the mk1 for my big mate. That helmet file is superb. I think I'll be using your work as reference if you don't mind.

29. STEALTH

STEALTH Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

awesome progress so far man!

30. zukamiku

zukamiku New Member

I am going to make this suit out of Aluminum Exhaust venting, which i have a lot of, it already has the nice shiny coat on it and i can throw some dirt at it to darken some parts if i need too. You have an AMAZING work of art sir :D

31. Peejfro

Peejfro Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

wow nice work man! really nice