Iron Man - Mark SEVEN WIP. ALMOST DONE

Hermes

Sr Member
Well... I usually don´t post Work In Progress threads, but I felt this could be done, since everyone and his pet ferret is speaking about the Mark VII.

I was challenged by none other than the worst person in the world - me - to do something uncanny. Until May 4th, I have to make the Mark VII, Black Widow, Hawkeye and Thor for the Premiere of the Avengers.

Yes - you got that right - Iron Man, Black Widow, Hawkeye and Thor.

No Cap? Well, Cap will be there, but the guy who will go is adamant in going with the First Avenger Suit. Apparently he and many others think that the Avengers Cap Suit was a let-down. I know "*I* think so....

but on to the real build, shall we?

I wasn´t even doing anything related to that prior to Thursday, but someone was kind enough to post the incredible Kotobukiya statue pictures, and I thought... what the heck.

So I made this -

2012-02-18%252015.41.10_resized.jpg

And while it didn´t quite work, it gave me the ideas I needed in the first place, so after watching something on TV, and at about 4-ish AM, I made this -

2012-02-18%252017.21.47_resized.jpg

Which I felt that got the point across. So I slept at about 7 AM, (******* 3D was on and I felt like watching something really stupid), and after a while, about 5 PM, when a friend of mine came over with his girlfriend, I felt that the company was welcome enough, so I started cutting that on EVA while we were watching Boston Legal, which his girlfriend had never seen before, and we always thought very funny. Of course, being the somewhat smart fellow I am, I made both parts at the same time, and even though you´ll see the pictures of only one arm, both are ready. And it isn´t even 9 PM! :)

Long story short, here are the pictures of my friend wearing it.

2012-02-18%252019.58.52.jpg

2012-02-18%252019.59.11.jpg

2012-02-18%252019.59.02.jpg

And, just as a reminder of what it looks like -

Mark-VII-do-filme-Os-Vingadores-23Jan2012_07.jpg

And so begins my very first WIP thread ever. I hope you guys like it. I´ll be here all week. Try the veal, and don´t forget to tip the waitresses!

Last edited:
Re: Iron Man - Mark SEVEN WIP.

I am doing the almost the same - Thor, Hawkeye, Iron Man, Nick Fury, and Captain America. I can't wait to see how your costumes come out.

oh, yes, I forgot I`m making Nick´s suit as well.... I kinda focused on the Avengers, but I´m also tackling that one. Heck, it´ll be good :) Would you like some pointers as to what I´m doing with mine?

In a different note, I made the hand tonight (not the fingers yet, only the palm and the back together, and as much as I ´d seen the Papercraft files (thank you guys who made them), I couldn´t use them at all, so it was all via guestimation. I use the 1/4 inch foam, and I seem to have discovered that the files are intended to the 1/8 inch. Oh, well, no problem, the thing is done anyway :)

I´ll post pictures tomorrow. 4 AM again :) I should try and get my beauty sleep, but if I am to try that one, I may have to pull a Rip Van Winkle..... :)

oh, yes, I forgot I`m making Nick´s suit as well.... I kinda focused on the Avengers, but I´m also tackling that one. Heck, it´ll be good :) Would you like some pointers as to what I´m doing with mine?

In a different note, I made the hand tonight (not the fingers yet, only the palm and the back together, and as much as I ´d seen the Papercraft files (thank you guys who made them), I couldn´t use them at all, so it was all via guestimation. I use the 1/4 inch foam, and I seem to have discovered that the files are intended to the 1/8 inch. Oh, well, no problem, the thing is done anyway :)

I´ll post pictures tomorrow. 4 AM again :) I should try and get my beauty sleep, but if I am to try that one, I may have to pull a Rip Van Winkle..... :)

Pointers would be great! Would you like to share info and tips in a pm?

OH, well, can´t disappoint my readers, then :)

I wasn´t going to post the pictures of these parts, but since it was work nonetheless, I think it´s about due, then.

After that day I took a day off, just to hang out with my daughter, It´s carnaval here in Brasil, and loathing it as I do, I just picked her up at her home and brought her here, we have been watching nice movies ever since.

Since that is of no consequence to the topic in question, in the other day, that same friend of mine came along, and we talked about him being Iron Man for the Premiere of the movie, which he accepted. That helped me tremendously, for now I had a solid base on which to build upon, therefore knowing what the final results will be. (that is fitting, considering he was C-3PO for quite a few years here too, wearing my suit of armor).

Anyway, so we had some time during the past two days and we made the waist and the pattern for the thigh, aside from having enough time to try some techniques to paint it. The tried and tested technique of sealing with PVA glue onto the EVA then spray-painting it seems to be the best.

Now onwards to the pictures.

2012-02-19%252021.01.13.jpg

This is the view of the palms, directed to the Repulsors. I was hoping I could use the Papercraft files, but again, working with 1/4 instead of 1/8 has some drawbacks, meaning basically I´m on my own, but I think it turned out OK :)

In order to expedite the process, this is what I do - I just glue a lot of paper together and roll around mimicking the parts I need to make, and draw up on them the design. Since the design is symmetrical, I make the side I´m most comfortable with, then just flip it, making two sets of all parts by the time I´m to cut the EVA foam.

This, for instance, is the ab plate, in the crudest of forms -

2012-02-19%252018.32.56.jpg

From then on, after the cut of the shapes, and gluing them to the main wraparound part, that´s what we have -

2012-02-19%252021.01.22.jpg

2012-02-19%252021.01.32.jpg

2012-02-19%252021.01.39.jpg

2012-02-19%252021.01.49.jpg

:)

You will notice it is very much corset-like in appearance and function, but you will also notice the black strips of material running upwards.

They serve a dual purpose. First, being 1/2 foam, they help structurally, so the holes are not likely to rip the foam apart, that and the corset (let´s call it thus from now on) is not tight, it´s fitting, and that´s it. The second purpose is serving as a mounting platform to the spine. By the time the armor was being done, I didn´t have time to do that prior to shooting it, but the raised black parts will have the fluffy Velcro part glued all over them. After that, the spine will be made in a box shape, with the bottom holding the hard part of the Velcro, thus once they connect, the box will help hold the shape in place, and be decorative, being the Spine as we see it in the pictures of the Kotobukiya statue :)

Anyway, we were to make the center ab parts, but my friend felt it would be too weird if done in yellow. (that was prior to the paint tests, now anything goes).

Today he dropped by and we did the paint tests I was talking about, and before he left, we decided to advance a bit the making of the suit - you will be able to see how crude the process is, but again, the important is the final result.

This is the first pattern of a thigh. I know that some lines are off, but I also know which lines are off and by how much, the thing is I couldn´t do them in the same scale I would usually do because it´s skintight paper, not 1/4 EVA foam, which will yield us the result we want.

So, here is the thigh, which was our work from today :)

2012-02-21%252019.12.59.jpg

More to come tomorrow. I am expecting this to be a really fast build. :)

And so it is that time of the week.... (just kidding, I will do it much faster than weekly, just pulling your collective chains :))

Anyway, here´s the update for tonight.

I went out, had a soda with a buddy of mine, and decided to come home at about 1 AM, which was a time I thought to myself.... Heck, I`m doing nothing, I might as well do some work on Iron Man :)

So here is the result of some time working, watching Doctor Who (I may have to find a way to get some episodes I´m missing.... ) and just plain enjoying myself doing this -

2012-02-24%252006.43.51.jpg

2012-02-24%252006.43.31.jpg

2012-02-24%252006.43.23.jpg

So, I know you guys and girls can see only one of the thighs, but the fact is that, thanks to Symmetry (gotta love the old gal), I made both at the same time, so I have the base of the legs already covered. Tomorrow afternoon, detail time :)

Yes, I´ll keep you posted. :)

And so....

First of all, thank you guys, thank you VERY much for the encouraging words, I would like to say that they have been helping me in the time when my trust falters. (Hey, I´m only human :))

HOWEVER, this one human here has managed to pull off something quite nice. I think you guys will like seeing this -

2012-02-27%252023.58.04.jpg

2012-02-27%252023.58.15.jpg

and even while I post it I regret not taking a good picture of the guy already with the shins, which are already halfway there. All I need now are some details on the legs, making the forearm and shoulders, finish the chest area and the Lid, and presto - Paint job time!

Oh, and a close-up of the ARC Reactor/Unibeam

2012-02-27%252023.59.40.jpg

Last edited:

That's absolutely incredible! What thickness is the foam you're using?

Keep up the great work. This looks better than most other people's attempts at previous Iron Man suits...and you're doing it with vastly less reference material.

Can't wait to see this done, which at this rate, should be in about 5 minutes.

-Nick

Hey, Nick! Thank you so much, man! It´s great to hear such a compliment from you! :)

However... Five minutes? I wouldn´t know about that, mate! :) Though it wouldn´t be half bad to think it could be done. I think I might need a Time-Turner or a TARDIS to disappear for a couple of months and come back in time for breakfast :)

I´m being silly, both of those artifacts are rather away from me.... yet. Anyway, it´s that time of the day! Updates!

So tonight we worked on the Cod and on the chest armor. You guys will notice that in the newly-released poster, Tony´s armor has some sort of holes in the ribcage. Researching here and there I found the new poster in a decent size so I could add that to the armor.

Amongst the immense amount of information, there´s that - clear as day - holes in the ribcage, and not only that! They look GOOD! So I felt I shouldn´t put them to waste, and therefore I added them to the armor tonight, and made the codpiece and some more detail work.

Since last night I didn´t post any picture with the shins, I asked Gus to wear them to show you guys, and so here it is in all its rubbery glory... :)

IMG_20120301_023059.jpg

IMG_20120301_023117.jpg

Sorry about the really weird quality of the pictures tonight. He was rather sleepy, it IS almost 2 AM here, and we had to suit him up and down so he could rest. I hope he arrives at home safe, he´s still driving, left about 8 minutes ago.

Again, I hope you guys like it :)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back