Iron Man Mark III Rebuild for Easy Assembly

timhayduk

Hi Everyone!

Recently I built an Iron Man Mark III suit using Steath's pepakura files for my senior project for school. When I built my suit, I built it from rolls of galvanized flashing that I got from Lowes, as opposed to the foam or fiberglass like what I have seen here. However, when I wore the entire suit together a few days ago to present it to my class, I saw why everyone was using these other mediums to build their suits. My suit was fragile and in the heat, many of the joints (which had been taped together), separated. The suit held through the hour of presenting, but when I got it home it pretty much was in pieces.

Also, another problem I discovered with my suit was that it took a long time to suit myself up, and also required me to have someone there helping me. So why I am I telling you all the problems with my suit? To explain why I'm doing this version the way I'm doing it.

I have done a lot of research for this new suit, and I think I have found some methods which will work together. I want to give credit to the people who have generously shared their methods online for all of us to use, as this suit would take much, much longer to build without them.

Thanks to:
-Stealth: for the pepakura files: http://www.therpf.com/f24/iron-man-m...t-post-128147/
-James from XRobots: for the foam coating method and ideas for an exoskeleton strapping system: XRobots.co.uk - Iron Man MkVI Armour Upper Body Strapping System

Now that I've gotten all the formalities out of the way, the big plan for this suit is to build an exoskeleton that I can put on fairly easily, and by myself. Also, I plan to put motors in this suit. And not just in the faceplate or the flight stabilizers, but also in my larger joints, like my elbows and knees. The hope for this suit is to have a suit I can put on easily, retain most of my mobility, and motorize some of my joints.

I would welcome any advice or questions you all might have about the suit or my methods, and would like to thank you for stopping by and reading my long post!

Oh and also, here are some pictures of the old suit:
34 Final Suit Repulsor.jpg 35 Final Suit Faceplate.jpg 36 RPF Profile Picture.jpg

Last edited:
Day One: May 29th

Yesterday afternoon, I started work on my new suit. So far I have completed plates for the shoulders and mounting plates for my back and chest plate. The general design came from XRobots.co.uk - Iron Man MkVI Armour Upper Body Strapping System, though I will be making small changes to accommodate for my body. I took a couple of pictures, sorry if they're a bit blurry.

IMG_20130529_183052.jpg
IMG_20130529_183107.jpg

Also, I ordered some foam, glue, and magnets, so as soon as those come in I will begin working on making the armor, starting with either the chestplate or the boots.

Last edited:
Day Two: May 30th

Today I decided I would do some work on the boots, so I cut out a plastic base for the two boots. Since I don't really have the best tools for cutting plastic, cutting out the bases was about all I'll be able to do today. Still, it's progress!

3 Boot Bases.jpg

4 Boot Bases.jpg

Also, the glue came today, but the foam isn't expect until the 4th. So I will probably go back and work on the ab mounting plate next.

Day Three: June 1st

Last night, I was able to make a foam shoe from some scrap foam I had left over from my old suit, to go inside of the armor pieces for support. I also put the hinge and heel brackets on the right base plates. Next step is to add a toe enclosing strip, a heel enclosing strip, and then the floating hinges for the ankle.

5 Foam Shoe.jpg

6 Foam Shoe.jpg

7 Hinge and Heel Brackets.jpg

Day Four: June 2nd

I wasn't happy with the strength of the bases for the boots that I had made, so yesterday I went out and got a thick cutting board from Target and made some new bases from that. I then attached the hinge and the heel brackets, though the brackets were a bit short, so I'm going to rivet some sheet metal to them to make them taller. I also went ahead and attached the floating hinges to the right heel.

8 New Bases.jpg

9 New Bases.jpg

11 Floating Hinge.jpg

I also found some of the same foam that I had ordered in A.C.Moore, so I picked some up to start working on the toe armor pieces. My current goal is to have the shoes done and the skeleton for my shins done by this Thursday so I can show them off before the end of school.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back