Ion Cannon

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

moffeaton

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Pretty sure that is sarcastic?
Anywhoo, here's some more.

Black is Vosper, tan is Matilda. Tsophika nailed these IDs.

88068992_10158086605113156_2155795371790434304_o.jpg
88068992_10158086605113156_2155795371790434304_o.jpg

moffeaton

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
also, I paid $420 to get vac plates made, if that's a baseline for you guys. I have enough to do maybe three balls, but the spares are spoken for. I probably burned through 5 pulls just trouble shooting placement and recutting plates!

propcollector

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
also, I paid $420 to get vac plates made, if that's a baseline for you guys. I have enough to do maybe three balls, but the spares are spoken for. I probably burned through 5 pulls just trouble shooting placement and recutting plates!
Can I get them still?

moffeaton

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
There probably is, but I got tired of waiting for people who said they could do it but it never happened.

Plating is done, except for the three petals - I now will have to hinge them and make sure they open to the right points.

The ball uses Shinano, Junyo, Karl, so far.

Attachments

• 87482262_10158089414858156_6034812024523849728_o.jpg
    87482262_10158089414858156_6034812024523849728_o.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 208

newmagrathea

Sr Member
There probably is, but I got tired of waiting for people who said they could do it but it never happened.

Plating is done, except for the three petals - I now will have to hinge them and make sure they open to the right points.

The ball uses Shinano, Junyo, Karl, so far.

Could we get a map/images of the panels from all sides? I have reference photos but many are small and grainy, and don't have all sides visible.

I was hoping to make a vac-form machine but the size I would need is making it not cost effective. My plan was to buy two spheres, one to cut in half for doing pulls on the vac-form. I've been trying to locate someone local with one big enough.

propcollector

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Could we get a map/images of the panels from all sides? I have reference photos but many are small and grainy, and don't have all sides visible.

I was hoping to make a vac-form machine but the size I would need is making it not cost effective. My plan was to buy two spheres, one to cut in half for doing pulls on the vac-form. I've been trying to locate someone local with one big enough.
I would be interested in a map/images of the panels from all sides too!

newmagrathea

Sr Member
Just cut up another 12 inch ball. :)
I'm not sure that would work. I think the inside diameter of the ball would be too small to fit the outside diameter of the ball. And I would expect it to be thicker than what we would want. If you do this, let us know if it works because I will totally go this route if it does.

DaveG

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Make a vacu-form buck from a section of dome that is just slightly larger than the largest panel rather than vacuform over a half sphere. Yes, you'll need more pulls to cut up, but it'll use a smaller machine and the panels will be of a more consistent thickness. If you pull over a half sphere the sheet is going to get stretched pretty thin at the bottom.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.