Ion Cannon

Pretty sure that is sarcastic?
Anywhoo, here's some more.

Black is Vosper, tan is Matilda. Tsophika nailed these IDs.

88068992_10158086605113156_2155795371790434304_o.jpg
88068992_10158086605113156_2155795371790434304_o.jpg

also, I paid $420 to get vac plates made, if that's a baseline for you guys. I have enough to do maybe three balls, but the spares are spoken for. I probably burned through 5 pulls just trouble shooting placement and recutting plates!

also, I paid $420 to get vac plates made, if that's a baseline for you guys. I have enough to do maybe three balls, but the spares are spoken for. I probably burned through 5 pulls just trouble shooting placement and recutting plates!
Can I get them still?

There probably is, but I got tired of waiting for people who said they could do it but it never happened.

Plating is done, except for the three petals - I now will have to hinge them and make sure they open to the right points.

The ball uses Shinano, Junyo, Karl, so far.

Attachments

• 87482262_10158089414858156_6034812024523849728_o.jpg
    87482262_10158089414858156_6034812024523849728_o.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 278
There probably is, but I got tired of waiting for people who said they could do it but it never happened.

Plating is done, except for the three petals - I now will have to hinge them and make sure they open to the right points.

The ball uses Shinano, Junyo, Karl, so far.

Could we get a map/images of the panels from all sides? I have reference photos but many are small and grainy, and don't have all sides visible.

I was hoping to make a vac-form machine but the size I would need is making it not cost effective. My plan was to buy two spheres, one to cut in half for doing pulls on the vac-form. I've been trying to locate someone local with one big enough.

Could we get a map/images of the panels from all sides? I have reference photos but many are small and grainy, and don't have all sides visible.

I was hoping to make a vac-form machine but the size I would need is making it not cost effective. My plan was to buy two spheres, one to cut in half for doing pulls on the vac-form. I've been trying to locate someone local with one big enough.
I would be interested in a map/images of the panels from all sides too!

Just cut up another 12 inch ball. :)
I'm not sure that would work. I think the inside diameter of the ball would be too small to fit the outside diameter of the ball. And I would expect it to be thicker than what we would want. If you do this, let us know if it works because I will totally go this route if it does.

Make a vacu-form buck from a section of dome that is just slightly larger than the largest panel rather than vacuform over a half sphere. Yes, you'll need more pulls to cut up, but it'll use a smaller machine and the panels will be of a more consistent thickness. If you pull over a half sphere the sheet is going to get stretched pretty thin at the bottom.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back