Introducing myself. Serious enthusiast. Help.

Liamazing

My name's Alex. I'm new to therpf. More info about me is on my profile. But the thing that really interests me is movie making. Actually, prop making. I love movies and try to be a buff about it, every piece of it, but I love props. If I had George Lucas' money I would buy a gigantic house and fill it with movie props.. Horror movie props from all the slasher films, ultrasabers and other light-sabers, Star Wars, Star Wars, Star Wars, and tons of superhero costumes and gadgets.

Which is what leads me here. I've had this dream since I was a child. I did my best then, but I couldn't work a real job then and make real money to fund my little creations. Now I'm an adult. Though I'm young, I have children, so I spend alot of time at home. I want them to be creative as I am, if they choose to be. But I know a good way to get them in the direction.. me learning the ins and outs of making the movie suits and props.

If someone could lead me in the right direction, that would be awesome. For now, talking through emails or on here with someone who has had more experience than me in this would be great. I don't have much experience in this at all actually, but I'm quite capable of learning anything I want to.

So please help me someone. Some things I would be interested in making would be, of course a Spider-Man suit; would freaking LOVE one, Star Wars robes; Sith and Jedi. I've always been a huge fan of Megaman and would love to build my oldest son a suit within the next few years while he's still small enough to look like Megaman. I'd also really be interested in MK suits from the first movie and the MK9 video game, mainly the ninja warriors. And also things like prop weapon design and weathering clothing for slasher movie characters. Maybe one day making latex masks or something.

I'm very meticulous by nature and expect my 'creations' to be as detailed as my mind perceives them. I'm not now or have ever been okay with the stuff you buy at the store. I want DETAILS and REAL information. My main goal is to be able to do this one day for some sort of living. I'd like to even 'waste my money' on schooling myself through this eventually and make my own character suit designs one day out of my own mind, as I also enjoy thinking and drawing characters in my mind from scratch.

For now I think my first realistic goal I'd like is to be able to make is the new suit from the Amazing Spider-Man movie. So if I could have some ideas on how to go about doing that, that would be great. Thanks for reading my little introduction to this forum. Sorry it was so long. I'm just detailed, and serious about learning this fine craft.

-Alex

Welcome aboard. As a n00b to the prop making hobby myself I have found that just using the search function will get you ALOT of information. There are people that sell the "prints" that you just sew together yourself as well as people that scratch build their own.

I would suggest you start there then move forward.

Do you know of any threads that are helpful in the scratch building depot? Prints are kind of out of the card right now, being that I haven't even been a member for a day yet, let alone 45, but if you knew where some good instructions were, like what to do after you have the prints, that would be great. Like I said, I'm very detailed. When you simplify that, it means I'm very picky. I'm patient too. I'd like to learn about applying details like puff painting and whatnot to suits. I've searched quit a bit on here already, so I've got a fair idea what these guys are doing that have amazing suits. If you see any threads about the starting processes of making a spider-man suit, that would be very helpful if you sent me a link. Nice to meet you, and thanks for your reply.

You tube is great for tutorials of all kinds, rpf search function as well. Also check out smartflicks.com
There you can rent videos. It's like netflix for nerds, really really awesome. And welcome aboard. People will be very helpful if you ask specific questions. No one has time to help someone who says hi, I'm here now teach me everything you know...lol

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back