inquiry: props from "Hardware" ?

Noeland

Master Member
I was rewatching Hardware the other day, and while I never really thought of it as a "prop movie" it actually is.

Just wondering if anyone has screen caps, or has built any of the props from the movie.

:cool

Thanks.

I think the prop best remembered from this great flick would be the metal robot skull, the Propstore had a replica for sale a while ago.

I can hold my hand up here and say I have worked with the films Art director, Joseph Bennet, and started work at the modelmaking company that did the building miniatures, but about 3 months after they did it ;-(
Awesome film-but most people might know it as 'M.A.R.K 13 'now.....cool film, not seen much on the prop side. Same crew did the fx for Hellraiser I think..

I don't know if it was part of Madame Tussaud's or a seperate display next door to it, but there was an exhibition in Blackpool about 16 years ago. I remember props from Hardware were on display in that, alongisde sequences from the film on a screen next to it. I don't remember too much else of what was there, but I think the above poster is right about the fx crew, as some of the other displays were from Hellraiser, and also from Nightbreed.

I remember liking Hardware at the time. It seems like it was a little ahead of its time...I think I have to rewatch it now. I'd love to see any props/replicas, especially that painted robot skull.

Hardware is a CLASSIC. I actually started a record/media label called Hardware Productions in the early 90's (to put out my films and music by my band). We also used to use the Iggy Pop "Angry Bob" radio monologue an an intro to our concerts.

The director, Richard Stanley, also did Dust Devil (which I still need to see) and directed most (or all) the videos by the band Fields of the Nephilim. (Those are sorta like Hardware shorts...) The singer in FOTN, Carl McCoy, has a cameo in the film as the guy who finds the MK13 in the desert.

The skull would be an obvious prop... maybe a claw too, though I wouldn't say no to McCoy's HAT either! Then there's always the cyberglove that the main character wears or the sunglasses that his buddy has.

Ah, early 1990s industrial culture... those were the days. If I remember correctly, some of Mark Pauline's robots from Survival Research Laboratories had cameos in Hardware as well.

Wasn't the main robot skull pretty much the basis for goliath's skull in Virus?

Never saw the movie, but I want to. It looks pretty fun.

This flick has been a guilty pleasure of mine for YEARS. I acquired a VHS Rip of this movie a few years ago & took some screencaps of the M.A.R.K.-13 skull for reference. I never got around to building anything, but here's the pix:

Very cool stuff guys. Nice to see I'm not the only one who digs this flick.

:) It's very much a guilty pleasure of mine as well!!

Any chance of getting some caps of that cool cut down spas 12 Dylan McDermott uses?

And I didn't know they changed the name! That would explain why I have had some difficulty in finding a copy on DVD.

I have the old VHS version.

Thanks guys!

Njc------------

Been wanting to build a MARK13 head for ages but have never been able to find enough reference. The movie is dark pretty much the whole time, which makes screen grabs a challenge.

I saw this when it first came out and I remember thinking, 'I WANT to like this movie', but it just fell short for me in some ways. I'd like to watch it again perhaps and see if I appreciate it more now that I'm a more experienced viewer. The visuals blew me away.

It's an odd movie, no questions about that. I like it despite it's flaws and problems. I put it in kind of the same catagory as "Death Machine" which is a very B-movie flawed kind of film, but I like it anyway.

:) hahahaha.

Yeah, this is a great movie, would definately be interested in the head if it was made. Never knew about the link with Goliath in Virus - must look into that.

I have a Sci-Fi Models magazine somewhere that did an article on the SFX artist - fairly sure it has some nice behind the scenes photos from Hardware. I'll try to find it and take some reference pics. :)

Sadly my memory was faulty.... Found the issue I was thinking of. Although it has the "Hardware" robot on the front cover, it only has one picture inside the mag of the robot. But in case it's of help to anyone (or just of interest), here they are:

Hardware1.jpg

Hardware2.jpg

SOoooo weird. I was at work yesterday thinking of this movie and how cool the robot skull would be to have...
Love this movie.
mike

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back