Indy S&W 1917 resin prop

The flat black, for this is closer than a layer of rub n buff to the blued steel sheen.

I tried dry brushing some of my dads fountain pen ink on the handle for a faded brown look. when it was wet, it looked green. :lol I left it alone and will bring it back out to judge..I may just end up getting real paint

Okay - so I made some huge progress.

since the ink dried green, i tried to dry brush on some Krylon dark brown dura coat (hardware store find)...turns out its such thick nice paint it didn't dry brush on, it just brushed on! I tried to drag the brush through the semi-dry paint a little, and it gave it a nice effect, but the original casting had physical wood texture on the handle, so that really helped. I don't know how I would have done this on c96 MGC grips..

Took some time to drill/tap a lanyard loop in the handle. I used a "wood screw" mount from china
1PC-Short-1-PC-Long-Sling-Swivel-Screw-Rifle-Sling-Swivel-Screw-Studs-Base-Studs-Fits.jpg

and had to cut and bend a Colt revolver butt loop in there. The loop really didnt want to bend, like a D ring, so I cut it snd squished it in there, making the loop smaller and deformed, but it suffices :)

I then took an old drafting mechanical pencil, slid out the old thick "lead" and used coarse sandpaper to get a pile of graphite dust. I took my finger and smeared / buffed it all over the gun which turned it into a silvery gray! I even got some on the grips that I feebly tried to wipe off :lol then I hit the whole thing with a satin clear coat, which dulled the graphite but it still looks nothing like the original satin black paint finish. I like it! I was seriously surprised at the drastic change in the graphite layer

it was hard to photograph, but I think I got it.

Attachments

• DSCN4067.jpg
    DSCN4067.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 100
  • DSCN4080.jpg
    DSCN4080.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 91
  • DSCN4083.jpg
    DSCN4083.jpg
    792.6 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCN4090.jpg
    DSCN4090.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 86
  • DSCN4093.jpg
    DSCN4093.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 87
  • DSCN4095.jpg
    DSCN4095.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
actually I should tag ToddsCostumes since their holster is what spurred me to do this.

Should the tip of the barrel be silver/stripped? I can use some silver Rub n Buff maybe..I already brass buffed the grip screw!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very NICE!

It should be a little lighter as seen here: http://www.indygear.com/igguns.html You have the "Stembridge" version vs the "Bapty"(incase you didn't know;))

Although it appears that the version you have did not have the lanyard ring on the bottom, the one Indy carries throughout the rest of the film did though. I tried to link from www.imfdb.com for better/more pics to show the differences, but the page wouldn't load.

Aha thank you! I wonder how I can replicate that band on the front... I may try another layer of graphite, tho I have already sealed it

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back