Indy 4

Re: Am I the only one who liked Indy 4 ?

No. I liked it too. But then again...

A.) I'm a major Indiana Jones fan, and...

B.) I also liked "Xanadu"...so don't go by me. :lol

Steven has stated, on camera, that when George told him the plot for this show, he said, "Really... ALIENS?!" And that he didn't want to do another film about 'em (not just yet, anyway). That's what prompted George to call the aliens "interdimentional beings," after all.
Steven mentions this in the BTS somewhere. George tells him that they're not aliens, they're interdimentional beings, and Steven asks what they're going to look like, and George says they'll look like aliens. Steven kind of rolls his eyes at this point.. hehe.

3935-plastic-family.jpg

Last edited:

Supposedly Spielberg directed the first half of the film, and Lucas the second.

Just more food for thought :rolleyes

The worse part about the movie is the ridiculously overblown descriptions that people come up with to express their displeasure over a simple movie.

So is Lucas more Hitler for this or the Prequels?

Amen to that. Fanboy hurt - I may or may not be guilty of this.

B.) I also liked "Xanadu"...so don't go by me. :lol

YOU MONSTER!!!

I will never, ever understand statements like these.

Can't say I blame you since I meant to type "I was surprised and disappointed that it was so bad". :p

My point was that with the talent involved I didn't think the quality could fall to such a low level. I was really hoping for a good down and dirty Indiana Jones movie not a childish cartoon.

Heh. S'orright, wasn't gonna bust you over a typo.

But the Prequels - *those* were childish cartoons. I'm assuming you saw them?

Heh. S'orright, wasn't gonna bust you over a typo.

But the Prequels - *those* were childish cartoons. I'm assuming you saw them?

I did indeed unfortunately. I agree that KOTCS is nowhere near as bad but there are too many green screen effects and that made it seem unreal and "cartoony" to me. I actually like some of the non-cgi moments but there were too few of those. The movie also lacked the grittier aspects that the first three had in abundance.

I meant that the Prequels were childish cartoons, so I'm still not understanding why you didn't expect Indy 4 to be one too? I expected it to be as painful to watch as AOTC, so I didn't actually bother to see it. If I'm wrong, I'm missing out, but it seems like few viewers can even summon the most lukewarm of positives for it.

I don't really love ToD or LC either, I have to admit. The OTT-ness of ToD bugs me, and the sheer cheapness of LC is redonkulous.

I meant that the Prequels were childish cartoons, so I'm still not understanding why you didn't expect Indy 4 to be one too? I expected it to be as painful to watch as AOTC, so I didn't actually bother to see it. If I'm wrong, I'm missing out, but it seems like few viewers can even summon the most lukewarm of positives for it.

I don't really love ToD or LC either, I have to admit. The OTT-ness of ToD bugs me, and the sheer cheapness of LC is redonkulous.

I guess I was hoping that it would not be as bad the prequels because of Spielberg's involvement. Even then I didn't see KOTCS in the theater because I did expect it to be of lesser quality. When I finally rented it from Netflix I was surprised at how bad it truly was.

I personally did not like LC that much either but TOD had its moments. At least LC felt like a Indiana Jones movie despite the quality. KOTCS did not even feel like an Indie movie to me.

I absolutely love the stuff in the warehouse, the scenes at the University campus and all the 50's bar stuff. But as soon as they arrive at the Russian camp and meet Ox, I just lose interest. I don't mind the aliens, sure it may have been better if they were a little more subtle, but I don't hate them. I also love the final scene with the hat blowing towards Mutt, only for Indy to take it back in a "not yet, kid" kind of way.

I'd choose to watch this over TOD, but it's nowhere near the masterpieces of Raiders and TLC.

I haven't seen Indy 4. I doubt I ever will.

I haven't seen it because of what folks here and elsewhere posted about it, and because my sense is that, these days, George Lucas' (and even Spielberg's) and my taste in movies are very very different. Rather than let a bad entry into the franchise sour my enjoyment of the prior films, I decided to skip it.

If that doesn't make sense to anyone here, well....okey dokey. That's fine. It doesn't even make sense to me, but I know it happens. All I know is that I've seen multiple franchises (Indy, Star Wars, Aliens, The Matrix, hell even Highlander) with multiple entries where later entries really ruined or strongly diminished my ability to go back and enjoy the original material. I love the Indiana Jones films, and rather than deal with that with this franchise, I opted out and am happier for it (based on what I'd heard).

As for hoping that these films would turn out better, I came to the conclusion that Spielberg's later work isn't really my cup of tea either. I didn't much care for Minority Report or War of the Worlds, which were two of his more recent entries and which, to me, suggested more the direction he'd head with this film. I still prefer his approach over Lucas' but with the two of them together and collaborating, I didn't expect Steven to be saying "George, that's a terrible idea. We're not doing that."

Basically, with these guys, my advice is to abandon hope and to be more cautious. Like I said, I waited to see what folks said about the film, especially in terms of its negatives. If what most people complained about had sounded like stuff that I wouldn't have cared about, I'd have disregarded their opinions as not having much to do with my tastes, and gone and seen the film. But what they complained about sounded exactly like the kind of stuff I'd have complained about, so why bother? I know myself, I know my tastes, and I know when it sounds like something isn't going to be all that enjoyable.

I'm curious about all the hate towards LC? I was never aware that there was a dislike of this installment.

I'm curious about all the hate towards LC? I was never aware that there was a dislike of this installment.

I won't hate on it, but it think I can explain it.
I think having daddy in tow was a killjoy, I don't want to know about Indy's father, I don't care what issues they have with each other anymore then I would want James Bond having papa issues.
Indy kinda whining all the time "But dad...." Ugh.

The whole "junior" thing blew, just mocking Indy constantly. Marcus went from being a former adventurer like Indy (remember he said if he were younger he would have went after the Ark himself) to a doddering fool for comic relief.

The Monty Python knight at the end made for a weak finale and was rather laughable.

For me, Raiders remains the purest form of the character for me. Bad ass, in charge, TCB (takin' care of business), and that he also has a dark side that he steps ever so close to. No karate kid in tow, no bookish daddy in tow, no scared out of her wits screaming every two seconds woman in tow.

I think there is a good argument that Raiders is the only real Indy film.

I can enjoy TOD and LC despite many flaws, but Raiders is just one of the greatest action adventure films ever made, it may be perfect in that regard.

I agree with Cessna on all counts.

I didn't hate LC and there are some really fun bits but the whole father/son thing was weak. Indy became the comic relief as well as Marcus and Indy lost some smarts. I thought the action felt over choreographed and Elsa was boring. Not my favorite but a masterpiece compared to KOTCS.

When you compare cool Marcus Brody from the first movie to the bumbling Marcus Brody of the third one you have to ask yourself 'WTF?'. Although he didn't do much in the first film you could almost swear he might have been right up there in Indy's league especially when he says to Indiana,
"You know, five years ago I would have gone after it myself. I'm really rather envious."
Or even when he helps to explain precisely to the Government guys exactly what the ark might be to help Indy's case.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back