Indiana Jones KOTCS Question

7935-escher.jpg

I just watched this today again and came late to this thread. I don't have any problem with the alien thing. If you look at it, the Grail is a myth which a lot of historians and theologians think was created during the Middle Ages. Roswell, whether you think it was a ufo/aliens or not, actually happened so there is at least a real historical aspect to that. So what's more weird, a "magic cup" or aliens? I mean you're arguing about that when a guy survives a nuke inside a lead lined refrigerator! :lol

You make an interesting point Mr Yards..

The question:
When you walk into a theatre, (pays yer money and agrees to suspend yer disbelief), which rules can be broken, and which rules can not?

It’s pretty safe to say that when we enter an Indy movie we all agree to let the laws of gravity go by the wayside. The yellow life-raft paved the way for that one.
The laws of physics can be stretched to enormous lengths in this series. At the lowest level, these films are a collection of action packed stunts, Physics need not apply there.

But what about the other higher level rules, the rules of character and theme, are we as flexible in accepting incongruities within those?

Last edited:
Yes, I realize I'm opening a can o'worms here, but I just HAVE to ask the question.

Now, let me first say, there are MANY things about the film I didn't like, in fact I wish they hadn't made it. But they did, so there it is.

The one complaint I hear all of the time that I just can't wrap my mind around is the "Aliens" thing. How, exactly, is that anything but par for the course in an IJ film? I just don't get it.

Just wanted you to get a look at this popular poem from 1911.
It's not high art, considered a bit low-brow in fact. but it captures what I see as the true spirit of why the Indy quest object can't be an alien.

There's a one-eyed yellow idol
To the north of Kathmandu;
There's a little marble cross below the town;
And a brokenhearted woman
Tends the grave of 'Mad' Carew,
While the yellow god for ever gazes down.

He was known as 'Mad Carew
By the subs at Kathmandu,
He was hotter than they felt inclined to tell,
But, for all his foolish pranks,
He was worshipped in the ranks,
And the Colonel's daughter smiled on him as well.

He had loved her all along
With the passion of the strong,
And that she returned his love was plain to all.
She was nearly twenty-one,
And arrangements were begun
To celebrate her birthday with a ball.

He wrote to ask what present
She would like from 'Mad' Carew;
They met next day as he dismissed a squad:
And jestingly she made pretence
That nothing else would do ...
But the green eye of the little yellow god.

On the night before the dance
'Mad' Carew seemed in a trance,
And they chaffed him
As they pulled at their cigars,
But for once he failed to smile,
And he sat alone awhile,
Then went out into the night.. beneath the stars.
He returned, before the dawn,
With his shirt and tunic torn,
And a gash across his temples... dripping red.
He was patched up right away,
And he slept all through the day
While the Colonel's daughter
Watched beside his bed.

He woke at last and asked her
If she'd send his tunic through.
She brought it and he thanked her with a nod.
He bade her search the pocket,
Saying, 'That's from "Mad" Carew,'
And she found ... the little green eye of the god.

She upbraided poor Carew,
In the way that women do,
Although her eyes were strangely hot and wet,
But she would not take the stone,
And Carew was left alone
With the jewel that he'd chanced his life to get.

When the ball was at its height
On that still and tropic night,
She thought of him ... and hastened to his room.
As she crossed the barrack square
She could hear the dreamy air
Of a waltz tune softly stealing thro' the gloom.

His door was open wide,
With silver moonlight shining through;
The place was wet and slippery where she trod;
An ugly knife lay buried
In the heart of 'Mad' Carew ...
'Twas the vengeance of the little yellow god.

There's a one-eyed yellow idol
To the north of Kathmandu;
There's a little marble cross below the town;
And a brokenhearted woman
Tends the grave of 'Mad' Carew,
While the yellow god for ever gazes down.

Steven Spielberg Says 'Jurassic Park 4' is Better Than 'Part 3' and Opens Up About 'Indiana Jones 4' Criticisms | Movie News | Movies.com

Finally, Spielberg opened up regarding the criticisms Crystal Skull faced, admitting he didn't like the MacGuffin, but said the story was always in George Lucas' hands. "I sympathise with people who didn't like the MacGuffin because I never liked the MacGuffin. George and I had big arguments about the MacGuffin. I didn't want these things to be either aliens or inter-dimensional beings. But I am loyal to my best friend. When he writes a story he believes in - even if I don't believe in it - I'm going to shoot the movie the way George envisaged it. I'll add my own touches, I'll bring my own cast in, I'll shoot the way I want to shoot it, but I will always defer to George as the storyteller of the Indy series. I will never fight him on that."

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=32315
Full Quotes

Last edited:
Steven Spielberg Says 'Jurassic Park 4' is Better Than 'Part 3' and Opens Up About 'Indiana Jones 4' Criticisms | Movie News | Movies.com

Finally, Spielberg opened up regarding the criticisms Crystal Skull faced, admitting he didn't like the MacGuffin, but said the story was always in George Lucas' hands. "I sympathise with people who didn't like the MacGuffin because I never liked the MacGuffin. George and I had big arguments about the MacGuffin. I didn't want these things to be either aliens or inter-dimensional beings. But I am loyal to my best friend. When he writes a story he believes in - even if I don't believe in it - I'm going to shoot the movie the way George envisaged it."

Hmm. Interesting. But then, why didn't he just say "I don't want to make this stupid movie?" Just because your friend writes a story doesn't mean you have to make it into a film.

Hmm. Interesting. But then, why didn't he just say "I don't want to make this stupid movie?" Just because your friend writes a story doesn't mean you have to make it into a film.
But I guess Spielberg will do this only for the Indy films since Lucas is equally the creator of the franchise.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back