Indiana Jones Holy Grail cup

Petertiger

Sr Member
Finally made one I'm happy with after a failed attempt with air dry clay sometime ago the other day I saw some solar garden lights in my local garden centre with a clear dome top and a tapered stem and they were reduced to £2.99 each,so I purchased all 5 of them just in case i made any mistakes i then took one apart cut down the stem and turned the dome upside and glued it into the stem to form the Grail cup using the top from a plant pot to make the rim wider and used a couple of large washers for the base,then covered it in a layer of paper mache (newspaper & pva glue) and left it over night to dry and go hard before painting it may not be a perfect match but I'm happy with it, plus as an added bonus because I got it right first attempt I've now got four solar lights in my garden. Another couple of rainy days so i used the time to updated my Grail cup started off by covering it in a very thin layer of air dry clay, which work unlike my attempts to make the cup from just clay, let it dry overnight then sprayed it all gold once dry gave it a coat of clear lacquer and let it dry overnight, i then brush painted it with the red/brown colour i mixed when dry i sanded it off in various areas so the gold showed through, before finally using my airbrush to apply several very light coats of mid grey and light blue to give it the aged weathered look .

Attachments

• IMG_20190916_092744_hdr_kindlephoto-23118271.jpg
    IMG_20190916_092744_hdr_kindlephoto-23118271.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20190918_134742_hdr_kindlephoto-20337095.jpg
    IMG_20190918_134742_hdr_kindlephoto-20337095.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Grail Cup.jpg
    Grail Cup.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I happened to see the original holy grail prop a few days ago in person, I was at a convention.
Didn't examine it too closely but took a photo of it and other things on display
The outer side of it is reddish brown, the inside of it is golden looking.

Your replica looks close in terms of shape, I think its a good effort.

I happened to see the original holy grail prop a few days ago in person, I was at a convention.
Didn't examine it too closely but took a photo of it and other things on display
The outer side of it is reddish brown, the inside of it is golden looking.

Your replica looks close in terms of shape, I think its a good effort.
thanks

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back