Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

The Dial on display at the El Capitan Theatre Indiana Jones exhibit seems to be the same size as the one in the Den of Destiny. Based on the square table it is sitting on; which I found online and is said to have a width of 20 inches. This also matches up with the display plaque which measures out at 5x7 inches... a standard size.

Last edited:
The Dial seems like an ideal prop to produce a "close enough" version using laser cut wood, finished with silver and antique gold Rub-N-Buff. Here's a mass produced perpetual calendar kit that inspired this post:

lcpc.jpg

Some of the conical cuts in the real prop would need to be fudged a bit. Never going to be as accurate as what most folks on this forum would be after, but it'd be fun to assemble!

I went and watched it again tonight. Just got home. I took a bunch of photos as well. Great news for the Indiana franchise seeing a few seats shy of a sell out all evening. Nice surprise.

From what you see in the movie and the production prop dial on display at some of the premieres, do you guys think the back of the dial has the same slope at the front on the angled piece or does the back look more shallow than the front? It would be easy to tell with a picture taken at the correct angle of the production piece on display. Unfortunately, I have way more pictures of the dial at the Den of Destiny than I have of the production piece. To me it looks like the prop is more shallow on the back side but in some scenes in the movie it looks deeper.

Also, has anyone identified the necklace beads on the compass? They kind of look like fishing weights, lol.

Attachments

• 2023-07-06 (3).png
    2023-07-06 (3).png
    814 KB · Views: 140
  • 2023-07-06 (4).png
    2023-07-06 (4).png
    1.4 MB · Views: 150
  • 2023-07-08 (1).png
    2023-07-08 (1).png
    13.2 MB · Views: 112
Last edited:
This photo that was shared earlier, my thoughts on a couple things that may or may not be right but thought I would share..

View attachment 1716623
On that left half, you see the middle-and-small gears in the very bottom?
- I get "welded-on-for-looks" vibes. I don't see how that gear could function for any purpose.

The outer box large-gears.
- I don't think they turn even on the film prop.
Why not? Because they aren't symmetrical. You'd rotate them out of the box and they don't engage with anything anyway.
I'm also not really seeing how the circular gear discs on the left could engage with any other gear mesh.
- Again "welded on for the looks" and let movie magic do the thing.

Just my 2 cents..

I should have the updated 2-sided, split-box design plans (below) pushed up to Printables later this evening or tomorrow. Had a busy holiday, kid birthday and I made a little work for myself by lack of organization / rapid iteration - trying to clean up things a bit to cut down tech support while I wait on a test print.

View attachment 1716627
Excited to see the results. Would also love a recreation of the grafikos

From what you see in the movie and the production prop dial on display at some of the premieres, do you guys think the back of the dial has the same slope at the front on the angled piece or does the back look more shallow than the front? It would be easy to tell with a picture taken at the correct angle of the production piece on display. Unfortunately, I have way more pictures of the dial at the Den of Destiny than I have of the production piece. To me it looks like the prop is more shallow on the back side but in some scenes in the movie it looks deeper.

Also, has anyone identified the necklace beads on the compass? They kind of look like fishing weights, lol.
I don't consider the dial to be a spoiler so I will post everything I have taken directly off screen on the DOD props thread now. Looks sunken to my eyes.
014B4069-E8C5-4924-8D5C-50A275CC632D.jpeg

Last edited:
Excited to see the results. Would also love a recreation of the grafikos
This is my current build, though I screwed up the split-box design and ended up having to glue this one together. I didn't want to toss it b/c it was almost two full rolls of filament before I realized the issue. The biggest innovation being the design of that center stack area, a series of lock rings to hold the hands in place more consistently and I found a decent pearl-like filament for the white bits.

IMG_3389.jpeg

IMG_3388.jpeg
I haven't put that outer ring with the "eyepiece" or whatever it is on this one yet, trying to add those extra little swooshes to the ring while I wait on the printer.
Would also love a recreation of the grafikos
Looks like there is a really nice Graphicos d' Archimede on Etsy!

Graphicos D'archimede Indiana Jones and the Dial of - Etsy

Looks fantastic from the photos!

Last edited:
It seems that between these two versions of the sphere there are more differences in the assembly.

Attachments

• diferencias 02.jpg
    diferencias 02.jpg
    536.9 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
This is my current build, though I screwed up the split-box design and ended up having to glue this one together. I didn't want to toss it b/c it was almost two full rolls of filament before I realized the issue. The biggest innovation being the design of that center stack area, a series of lock rings to hold the hands in place more consistently and I found a decent pearl-like filament for the white bits.

View attachment 1717648
View attachment 1717647I haven't put that outer ring with the "eyepiece" or whatever it is on this one yet, trying to add those extra little swooshes to the ring while I wait on the printer.

Looks like there is a really nice Graphicos d' Archimede on Etsy!

Graphicos D'archimede Indiana Jones and the Dial of - Etsy
Looks fantastic from the photos!
This is some stellar work!

Once I get some extra free time, I wanna use this to push the limits of my resin printer.

So I took a little break from working on the Dial to knock out my Grafikos model. I noticed there is a design on the back side of the Grafikos but you can't quite tell what it is in the movie. There are only a couple scenes where you get to see the back. The first it is covered in wax and the second is a very dark scene and you can't see much. I can see that the crescent moon is there and from what I can see in the impression it left in the wax it looks like there is some sort of spiral and angled lines similar to what we see in the Archimedes Dial (aka Antikythera). What do you guys think?

We may never get to see the design on the back or the part could show up at an auction at a later date with detailed images. They did have a Grafikos at the Red Carpet Premeire and also one behind glass in a display at the El Captian Theatre but I haven't seen any really good pictures from these props.

Attachments

• indiana-jones-dod-treasures-artifacts-2-standard-page-marquee.jpg
    indiana-jones-dod-treasures-artifacts-2-standard-page-marquee.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 2023-07-12 (2).png
    2023-07-12 (2).png
    2.7 MB · Views: 176
  • 2023-07-07.png
    2023-07-07.png
    703.2 KB · Views: 194
  • 2023-07-10 (7).png
    2023-07-10 (7).png
    1.3 MB · Views: 145
  • 2023-07-11.png
    2023-07-11.png
    839.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 2023-07-11 (1).png
    2023-07-11 (1).png
    413.2 KB · Views: 137
  • Grafikos 01.jpg
    Grafikos 01.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 154
Did you see the ones I posted
In the new thread you started? Yes, there was one picture of the back and you can see a little more detail in your picture. I can see the outer circles so maybe the back side just has the same decorative designs as the front side but not the lettering. Still not clear enough to know for sure.

PS- why start a new Replica Prop thread?

Last edited:
In the new thread you started? Yes, there was one picture of the back and you can see a little more detail in your picture. I can see the outer circles so maybe the back side just has the same decorative designs as the front side but not the lettering. Still not clear enough to know for sure.
Look at the paperwork as well

What do you all think the likelihood of Disney releasing an Archimedes Dial replica, themselves?

Logically it'd make sense, but the fact that they've not released one so far surprises me.

I've already got a Graficos replica on the way from a trusted seller.

What do you all think the likelihood of Disney releasing an Archimedes Dial replica, themselves?

Logically it'd make sense, but the fact that they've not released one so far surprises me.

I've already got a Graficos replica on the way from a trusted seller.
I still think the one displayed in Hollywood studios is the one they will release. It was the only prop unprotected and open to the public to touch and get close to. Everything else was under glass or out of reach.

Could be a supply chain issue or maybe they will just show up on Disney's own time frame

I suspect they will eventually sell a park prop like they have the Crystal Skull and others. The lag time is sort of wild considering how front and center they put the Dial itself in materials, Premiere photos, etc. They managed to make a 20ft backdrop for the Premiere and there are a handful of film props doing the premiere circuit but not a bunch of 11" clocks to sell at ShopDisney.com? Bizarre. I think the best hope on the 3ish month timeframe will be if some of the great prop makers on these prop boards that make electroplated props in limited runs. After that I wouldn't be surprised to see a retail offering from some 3rd party fandom prop makers with kickstarter-like preorder gimmicks, Hasbro Pulse or something like it.

Also, just a heads up - this prop hit the scammers' radar. Someone who had bought one of my charity-share, prototype eBay auctions reached out to me today livid that he thought I was mass-producing these things and selling for super cheap. He sent me screenshots from, this site. I'm honestly surprised he fell for it but whatever, I think the nature of auctions bring out the worst impulses of competition followed by buyers' remorse. Any rate, the scammer..

IMG_04297E5EDAEB-1.jpeg

The scammers pulled images from this thread and a few eBay auctions to make it look like they are selling Dial of Destiny props for $35. Since those are pictures from my game room and the reviews are all faked, I assume this is one of those pop-up web stores that takes what they can get and disappears once the veil of fraud is lifted.

Super weird seeing my favorite pinball machine, that I spent over a year restoring - in the background of a scammer's website.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back