Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Also, after studying the photos I have I can see what looks to be like two slightly different props that have been on display. The damage is a little different in some areas, even the artwork/engravings have some differences, the one on the right is missing a little flame/thorn (red circle in picture), the fonts are slightly different, some of the white tiles are in different spots, and the outer needle is in a different spot. The one on the left also seems to be made with mother of pearl as the white background and has a shinier gold surface (vacuum metalized probably). So perhaps we are looking at the hero and stunt versions.

Anyway, I am looking at that outer needle and it seems like it should move but I don't see any tracks on the original. It is in a slightly different position on each of the dials. I am open to ideas. I could create a track and do my best to hide it but it is not there on the original prop. Otherwise, it is looking like that needle is fixed in place. Would you rather have a screen accurate prop without the track for the outer needle or a more functional prop where the outer needle would slide around as it seems like it should? PS - I am working on some designs to make the inner needles functional as well.

View attachment 1715799
The one on the right/on display at the park was not used in the movie.
It's not from the film - it's a replica made for the Disney parks by RPF member Ozymandius - see here:

Ark of the Covenant kit
That might explain the differences.

The one on the right/on display at the park was not used in the movie.

That might explain the differences.
Right on. Thanks for pointing that out.

Usually when a contractor is hired to do a piece that has already been made for a movie then they would normally get access to the original plans and/or 3d models.

It is interesting that the details are different but that is nothing new in the movie industry. Even when the same person/company makes a few props for a movie then there are often differences from one to the next.

So I will be mostly using the Dial on the left to recreate my replica and only using the Dial on the right to fill in the blanks if needed.

This photo that was shared earlier, my thoughts on a couple things that may or may not be right but thought I would share..

Fz1aFrXagAEUOG3.jpg

On that left half, you see the middle-and-small gears in the very bottom?
- I get "welded-on-for-looks" vibes. I don't see how that gear could function for any purpose.

The outer box large-gears.
- I don't think they turn even on the film prop.
Why not? Because they aren't symmetrical. You'd rotate them out of the box and they don't engage with anything anyway.
I'm also not really seeing how the circular gear discs on the left could engage with any other gear mesh.
- Again "welded on for the looks" and let movie magic do the thing.

Just my 2 cents..

I should have the updated 2-sided, split-box design plans (below) pushed up to Printables later this evening or tomorrow. Had a busy holiday, kid birthday and I made a little work for myself by lack of organization / rapid iteration - trying to clean up things a bit to cut down tech support while I wait on a test print.

IMG_0322.jpeg

Last edited:

talking about the prop and good closeups starting at 4:30
Fantastic! Notice they didn't move anything :)

Also..
"..These Glyphs Contain Instructions for its use" Uhh, don't know Ancient greek but I don't see how a set of glyphs that only represent a fraction of the greek alphabet would contain actual instructions. Well, unless it was made by Ikea. :lol:

Appreciate the notes about the others though. That helps!

graffitilogic

This is amazing, I have been following this build ever since you started. Thank you for sharing your work; I am sure I can speak for others when I say it is much appreciated. I have been holding off building because you keep making it better.

In that Disney video, they mentioned the faceplates around the sides have the sun dial graphic on them. Would that be a possibility for your build? There are also some designs around the top corners. I wonder if separate detailed pieces could be integrated that could be resin printed separately with those details and dropped in on the tops and sides?

Anyways, just a thought. What you have done is awesome and I can't wait to build one of these. Thank you!!

graffitilogic

This is amazing, I have been following this build ever since you started. Thank you for sharing your work; I am sure I can speak for others when I say it is much appreciated. I have been holding off building because you keep making it better.

In that Disney video, they mentioned the faceplates around the sides have the sun dial graphic on them. Would that be a possibility for your build? There are also some designs around the top corners. I wonder if separate detailed pieces could be integrated that could be resin printed separately with those details and dropped in on the tops and sides?

Anyways, just a thought. What you have done is awesome and I can't wait to build one of these. Thank you!!
how cool - thank you - Absolutely! I think I accidentally designed the little starburst-like patterns the other day for the corners of the box, trying to figure out the bottom pearl or whatever bit. I hope to resurrect that design shortly and see about applying it. That video I think gave me exactly what I needed for those squares on the sides, the sundial - definitely going to be doing those and they will be options to glue-on (so I can add it to my own build without a 2-day print, lol)

BillD

The dial on the right leads me to believe that this is a prop replica to eventually end up on the store shelves in the park.

Reason is. It's the only prop on display that is not behind glass and is in the middle of the floor completely unprotected. Upclose and personal, it has all the markings of the same format as the props recently released

I also believe the movie dial may be 2 different sizes like the skull was. There are scenes where it certainly looks larger than 10 inches unless the actors holding the dial are tiny

Last edited:
I love that they said this was intentionally based on the Antikythera mechanism. That is how this thread started, but the first I've heard it confirmed.

What do you guys think about these measurements compared to what we see in the movie?
Dial 1-21.jpg
Dial 1-22.jpg
Dial 1-23.jpg

In these images I measured the fingers to get a basic idea of the scale. They seem to match up from scene to scene. Of course, fingers can be different sizes on different people but it seems to me that the movie prop was closer to 10 - 10.5 inches across the flats or about 6in on each side. As we now know that the prop on display in the Den of Destiny was not made by the same guy that did the Dial for the movie it is not beyond reason that the dial in the Den of Destiny is not the same size as the one used in the movie.
Dial Scale 01.jpg
Dial Scale 03.jpg
Dial Scale 02.jpg

Yes, I am on record saying I believe the film prop is bigger for sure. I have been to the Disney one and my measurements were right there at 8 to 10 and around 2 wide. Pretty close for crude scale and eyeballing :lol:

Might even be a tad larger than 10. A visual 2 inches is pretty hard to pick up as far as judging sizes.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back