'In The Line Of Fire' Resin Assassin pistol

LeMarchand

Sr Member
Ever since i got my SD studios one years back, i wanted one that had a functional trigger/hammer function. I also learned that the SD one was a bit bigger than the original. I decided that it was time for me to make a new version, which hopefully will be a bit closer to the original. It appears the barrel and hammerchamber are more or less the same size and the difference was mainly in the trigger, the grip and the knurled knob.

I am almost done with a Rhino 3D file, which i will sent to my friend Rob (DarthScifi) who will see if he can machine an aluminium master to make resin copies....YAY.

ITLOF3D.jpg

But.....i was also thinking. Since the firing one in the movie was actually an aluminium one painted beige. Would it be possible to make one that can fire those stage firingcaps. ANy thoughts on this?

The resin one will definately happen and who knows a full aluminium firing one as well. I'll keep you posted :)

Marc

Great job, and great ideas. But, I'd like to hear from some of the gun guy's around here. Wakal comes to mind. I'm sure there are others. As far as blanks are are concerned, it sounds feasable, but full firing rounds? I think thats something you really don't want to test. Too many issues to think of. Feasable? Probably. Safe? Hell no. Legal? HELL NO. But don't let that stop you making a truly nice casting master.

Heck. You make it, I'll test fire it. (From behind a tree maybe twenty feet away.) Hehe. There's a tree that grows in the rainforest. It's so dense it doesn't float. They call it something like Ligium Vitae. I read about the 'locals' using it to make crude firearms. Yes, you heard me, a WOOD gun. I always thought it would be a gas to make a ITLOF gun from this wood. Have it fire .32 calibre rounds or something. <G>

So Marc, what's the status on the GRISTLE GUN?. :)

Jay

They are actually plug fire cartridges they use in stageprops, not really blankfiring.

what's a 'gristle gun'? :D

had to put that on hold, got frustrated and really busy, but i will pick it up again after the move to the UK

Marc,

I don't understand how the SD version was sized incorrectly. After all, it was cast directly off an original.

Phil

Well, there were two SD guns. The first was a scratch-build, and is indeed off, but the second was cast from an original, and is exactly correct. I have one of the later models.

Phil

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(philippes @ May 3 2006, 05:54 AM) [snapback]1237493[/snapback]</div>
Marc,

I don't understand how the SD version was sized incorrectly. After all, it was cast directly off an original.

Phil
[/b]

Hi Phil,

Actually it wasn't. Steve's first version came out, and then I arranged for the original propmaker to loan Steve a real one. Here is a photo of my screen used original and an early SD.

ResinGunsCompared.jpg

The propmaker donated the firing one to the US Secret Service museum. It was the aluminum one painted putty color to resemble a plasticized synthetic but if there is some interest to build a blank firing one meeting BATFE specs I might ask the propmaker for some blueprints or construction info. He's still in the business. Blank guns are fine to build so long as they meet the "8 hour rule" for BATFE...like the commercial blank firing props you can buy all day long without restrictions.

eltee

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(philippes @ May 3 2006, 08:52 AM) [snapback]1237608[/snapback]</div>
But the second and most recent SD gun is exactly correct. I'm certain of that.

Phil
[/b]

Hi Phil,

Don't know for sure if I've seen the second run, I just know I got Steve and the original builder together after I got my first run SD version. The first run version was actually very close (see my comparison photo) and considering there was no original to scale from it was amazingly accurate.

There appears to have been other replicas, perhaps recasts of SD's or original sculpts. There is someone's version for sale at the prop store at Downtown Disney (framed with some ITLOF photos) but I couldn't examine it closely enough to see fine details.

LinOfFire.jpg

If you want to send me one or two key dimensions from your version two SD I can confirm the specs against my own, or if you have a photo just illustrate one or two of the measurements. I was lucky enough to get a number of props and some backstage stuff from the movie including the concept sketches, the contract (to build the prop), film crew ID passes, etc so I've always had an interest in any props or prop replicas related to this film.

eltee

I'm absolutely 100% bet-my-life-on-it certain that two SD pistols were made. The first one is off, the second one is EXACTLY correct.

If someone has an original SD gun, it's one of the two versions. There are also plenty of recasts out there.

Phil

i'll pist some pics of my SD later, i am sure it has to be a V2. Got a good deal on it, since the 2 hammerpins were missing, only cost me $75.

And blueprints would be awesome. I would be happy if i can make one with a working hammer/trigger configuration, but a capgun would be even more fun :D

Any chance you can sent me some pics of the underside of the hammer housing part and the ends of the triggers?

Marc

im not sure I understand how the trigger works.
Is it like this:
The fireing pin is pulled back by the dowel, then the dowel is pressed down to lock the firing pin. The trigger when pulled pivots up then pushes up on the dowel until the dowel becomes free and thus allowing the spring to push the pin forward?

I don't suppose there are photos of the trigger. I mean its not hard to do the math and get the thing to work, but it would only be a guess.

Here's a couple of shot of my SD V.2. note that the trigger pins are not original, they weren't included and the reason i got it so cheaply, still need to cut them and round the tops.

itlof001.jpg

itlof002.jpg

itlof003.jpg

Very cool.. Always loved that Prop and Movie.

I was living about 3 Blocks from where they shot the roof-top chase and have fond memories of having an even HARDER time of finding a place to park. :lol

Hey old friend.

Hey Marc,

Can you send me some basic measurements off your ITLOF gun.

I want to check which version I have now too.

Thanks

Want a resin one when you are done.

Your PM box is full.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back