'In The Line Of Fire' Resin Assassin pistol

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by LeMarchand, May 3, 2006.

1. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

Ever since i got my SD studios one years back, i wanted one that had a functional trigger/hammer function. I also learned that the SD one was a bit bigger than the original. I decided that it was time for me to make a new version, which hopefully will be a bit closer to the original. It appears the barrel and hammerchamber are more or less the same size and the difference was mainly in the trigger, the grip and the knurled knob.

I am almost done with a Rhino 3D file, which i will sent to my friend Rob (DarthScifi) who will see if he can machine an aluminium master to make resin copies....YAY.

[​IMG]

But.....i was also thinking. Since the firing one in the movie was actually an aluminium one painted beige. Would it be possible to make one that can fire those stage firingcaps. ANy thoughts on this?

The resin one will definately happen and who knows a full aluminium firing one as well. I'll keep you posted :)

Marc

2. Mxlplx

Mxlplx Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great job, and great ideas. But, I'd like to hear from some of the gun guy's around here. Wakal comes to mind. I'm sure there are others. As far as blanks are are concerned, it sounds feasable, but full firing rounds? I think thats something you really don't want to test. Too many issues to think of. Feasable? Probably. Safe? Hell no. Legal? HELL NO. But don't let that stop you making a truly nice casting master.

3. Jedi Lawja

Jedi Lawja Well-Known Member

Heck. You make it, I'll test fire it. (From behind a tree maybe twenty feet away.) Hehe. There's a tree that grows in the rainforest. It's so dense it doesn't float. They call it something like Ligium Vitae. I read about the 'locals' using it to make crude firearms. Yes, you heard me, a WOOD gun. I always thought it would be a gas to make a ITLOF gun from this wood. Have it fire .32 calibre rounds or something. <G>

So Marc, what's the status on the GRISTLE GUN?. :)

Jay

4. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

They are actually plug fire cartridges they use in stageprops, not really blankfiring.

what's a 'gristle gun'? :D

had to put that on hold, got frustrated and really busy, but i will pick it up again after the move to the UK

5. philippes

philippes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Marc,

I don't understand how the SD version was sized incorrectly. After all, it was cast directly off an original.

Phil

6. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

That's what i thought as well for a long time. But there was a thread i think about a year ago where someone talked about the gun and had a cast from the original molds he got from the propmaker. There are differences between the SD one and the cast from original, that picture was posted again not too long ago, check here:

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?...he+line+of+fire

Marc

7. philippes

Well, there were two SD guns. The first was a scratch-build, and is indeed off, but the second was cast from an original, and is exactly correct. I have one of the later models.

Phil

8. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

ah, i see, didn't know that. Means i have the second one as well.

thanks Phil :)

Marc

9. eltee

eltee Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(philippes @ May 3 2006, 05:54 AM) [snapback]1237493[/snapback]</div>

Hi Phil,

Actually it wasn't. Steve's first version came out, and then I arranged for the original propmaker to loan Steve a real one. Here is a photo of my screen used original and an early SD.

[​IMG]

The propmaker donated the firing one to the US Secret Service museum. It was the aluminum one painted putty color to resemble a plasticized synthetic but if there is some interest to build a blank firing one meeting BATFE specs I might ask the propmaker for some blueprints or construction info. He's still in the business. Blank guns are fine to build so long as they meet the "8 hour rule" for BATFE...like the commercial blank firing props you can buy all day long without restrictions.

eltee

10. philippes

But the second and most recent SD gun is exactly correct. I'm certain of that.

Phil

11. eltee

eltee Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(philippes @ May 3 2006, 08:52 AM) [snapback]1237608[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Phil,

Don't know for sure if I've seen the second run, I just know I got Steve and the original builder together after I got my first run SD version. The first run version was actually very close (see my comparison photo) and considering there was no original to scale from it was amazingly accurate.

There appears to have been other replicas, perhaps recasts of SD's or original sculpts. There is someone's version for sale at the prop store at Downtown Disney (framed with some ITLOF photos) but I couldn't examine it closely enough to see fine details.

[​IMG]

If you want to send me one or two key dimensions from your version two SD I can confirm the specs against my own, or if you have a photo just illustrate one or two of the measurements. I was lucky enough to get a number of props and some backstage stuff from the movie including the concept sketches, the contract (to build the prop), film crew ID passes, etc so I've always had an interest in any props or prop replicas related to this film.

eltee

12. philippes

I'm absolutely 100% bet-my-life-on-it certain that two SD pistols were made. The first one is off, the second one is EXACTLY correct.

If someone has an original SD gun, it's one of the two versions. There are also plenty of recasts out there.

Phil

13. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

i'll pist some pics of my SD later, i am sure it has to be a V2. Got a good deal on it, since the 2 hammerpins were missing, only cost me $75.

And blueprints would be awesome. I would be happy if i can make one with a working hammer/trigger configuration, but a capgun would be even more fun :D

Any chance you can sent me some pics of the underside of the hammer housing part and the ends of the triggers?

Marc

14. replicaprops

replicaprops Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

im not sure I understand how the trigger works.
    Is it like this:
    The fireing pin is pulled back by the dowel, then the dowel is pressed down to lock the firing pin. The trigger when pulled pivots up then pushes up on the dowel until the dowel becomes free and thus allowing the spring to push the pin forward?

15. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

yep, that's how it works :)

16. replicaprops

replicaprops Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't suppose there are photos of the trigger. I mean its not hard to do the math and get the thing to work, but it would only be a guess.

17. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

Here's a couple of shot of my SD V.2. note that the trigger pins are not original, they weren't included and the reason i got it so cheaply, still need to cut them and round the tops.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Very interesting info in here, and very cool prop...

19. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very cool.. Always loved that Prop and Movie.

I was living about 3 Blocks from where they shot the roof-top chase and have fond memories of having an even HARDER time of finding a place to park. :lol

20. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Hey old friend.

Hey Marc,

Can you send me some basic measurements off your ITLOF gun.

I want to check which version I have now too.

Thanks

Want a resin one when you are done.

Your PM box is full.

21. morpheus13

morpheus13 Well-Known Member

Gary - Now correct me if Im wrong but I thought Steve used a COPY out of Frank's Mold as an original. Thats what both you and Frank told me, Frank personally on the phone. Is it possible that the mold produced a piece (or set of pieces) that was not sized as originally built? I dont really care one way or another but since I lost a fair amount of money when I was brokering the piece after pulling the it from Ebay after YOU said it was not an original prop. So was Steve's an original filming prop or not?

Either way, knowing the story behind the firing guns and the Secret Service involvement I would strongly suggest not doing them or at least not in the US.

22. eltee

eltee Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheus13 @ May 4 2006, 04:18 AM) [snapback]1238117[/snapback]</div>
    Steve made one without having an original to work from. Call it " SD version one." I hooked him up with Frank who sent him an original and apparently Steve used it to make a more accurate version, "SD version two." Apparently early buyers, such as myself, got the "version one" whereas those who bought after Steve had gotten access to an original have "version two" which is more accurate. I bought the SD replica (v1) to display as my original was too valuable and fragile to be displayed and handled. Shortly after getting my v1 I got the creator of the original connected with Steve and v2 evolved.

Look at the hinge, that's the giveaway. The hinge on version one has a recess whereas the original prop and SD "version two" do not. Also, on my SD "version one" the knob on the connecting bolt is off. I assume that Steve corrected this in "version two" but I don't have one and the photos on this thread don't show it clearly enough for me to compare.

23. Jedi Lawja

Jedi Lawja Well-Known Member

Why were these made so that the handgrip could slide about an inch forward/back when assembled? I'm theorizing that with working triggers and the firing 'pin' pulled back and 'locked' with the dowels that the handgrip is also locked in position..?

Jay