Imperial Shuttle Tydirium

G'day Raiders

I've taken a look through your photos now and must say I'm damn impressed.:thumbsup

I was not going to tackle the star destroyer because of lack of ref images but with your collection there I don't think I'll have ANY problems :cheers

All that leaves now is to find ref images of the Tantive IV, the sandcrawler, the full scale speeder bike from ROTJ and maybe the rebel medical frigate.

Thanks again for the link. I enjoy modelling 100 times more when I have the right information ;)

Last edited:
Those are some awesome pictures! I always wondered how much of those shots were real standing sets and what was just mat paintings and models. Thanks for sharing!

As awesome as those photos are raiders :D If anybody has any close up shots of the crevices we see on the 3 wings that would be great :) I can make out some from the front but its a rarity, to find ones of the back, I can see that something is in them but can't make out the shapes :)

Thanks in advance ;) Johno

A question about the full scale made on the set of Return of the jedi. Was that scale destroyed after the film?

I noticed in the extended edition of empire strikes back a full scale is seen with
Vader walking down the ramp. The landing is obviously CGI but Vader walking down the ramp is not.

Is their even a chance they used the original full scale to make this scene? For the scene I'm taking about follow the link and scroll down until you see the scene. Its near the bottom.

Star Wars: The Changes - Part Two - Articles - DVDActive

Are there any shots of the internal armature? Went through my books and online but still haven't seen internally of the studio model.

I've taken a closer look at the one we see in the empire strikes back and their are some differences in the rotj and the extended edition esb. So I guess they just made another full scale for the added scenes for esb.

As for the internals of the rotj full scale I have not seen any photos unless you count the cockpit, we see a little behind the emperor as he walks off the ramp and onto the death star but its very dark. I don't think they put much into the internals of the actual ship, a few lights and that might be about it.

No, it is definitely unused ROTJ footage. Moff Jerjerrod is even there. They redressed the shuttle a little bit to make Vader's and the Emperor's different.

You think they would do that? Sounds kind of strange but ok. Almost like trying to make each tie fighter a little different or each clone a little different. Seems out of character for the empire and the production crew. The differences I can see are not cosmetic its paneling. But if your sure then ok :)

You can see the emperors shuttle having a grey wide stripe on its head to make it different.

Arrival-ROTJHD.jpg

A question about the full scale made on the set of Return of the jedi. Was that scale destroyed after the film? http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/star-wars-the-changes-part-two.html?page=4

All the large sound stage sets were struck after filming (there are pics of the remains of X-wings and the second Falcon on the back lot). The only things left in situ were the Tunisian constructions, AFAIK.

The shuttle in the shot Nazgul posted is mostly a matte painting. Several of the shots of these shuttles landed are mattes or partly mattes. One of them (Endor landing platform - Pangrazio I think?) was based on the filming model but this one is based around the mockup - easy to tell, since the proportions of the mockup were visibly different to those of the main filming model. (The MPC kit has the same mockup/matte painting proportions.)

Yeah. Didnt mean it was a model or a mock up. Just pointed out they wanted the emperors shuttle to be different.

Ive read the Kenner shuttle is also based on the mockup plans.

Nope - the Kenner is accurate to the ILM shooting model, at least in outline. It can even be can be converted into a near-SS model, though it is not a small job.

Awesome guys thanks for the info :)

Very sad that the full scales were destroyed :(

May Lucas forgive me but I am sticking mostly to the model we see in the exhibition ( the larger of the 2 we see in the glass case, sorry not sure what scale it is ) Except for the ramp way and surrounding area, that will be based on the full scale we see as Vader and the emperor disembark and again when Han, Luke and the gang go up the ramp to try and sneak onto Endor.

The largest model uses 1/32 pilot figures. But Im not sure about the scale of the whole model as the pilots could not stand up in the cockpit !

Johno...Lucas forgive you? That model is the reference standard from which everything else is derived. The mockup and the mattes came after the model, and are based on blueprints drawn from photos of the model. So if LFL took the approach that the model is the prime reference, why shouldn't you? :)

I try to stay with reference from one scale model as it can be easy to get confused when using two or more. Especially when we don't realize we're looking at different models ;) Luckily thanks to your awesome photos in this case that won't happen. Making an amalgamation of two different scales will mean I won't be making an exact replica of either and have been persecuted in the past for doing so. But when I find more details on the full scale that are not on any of the other scales ( example the ramp way ) I think not adding those details would be a pity. :)

Last edited:
Hmmmmmmmm I've come up against a bit of a snag involving the cockpit area. I have used the models measurements to create the shape of the exterior of the cockpit but it appears to be almost double the width we see in the movie when looking at the interior. I have placed six 6ft tall dummies in there to help attain proportions and looking at the images from the movie I have 2 different versions.

The movie image has Han and Chewie driving, with 2 seats behind them for Luke and leia and more space behind them for R2 and 3PO to stand. It sounds like a big room and looks very cramped in the image we see. ( actually I think chewie complains about the lack of space haha ) But even with room for 6 bodies and the chairs they sit on I still have more than double that space left in the cockpit.

I don't want to, but I might have to be creative here to make it like what we see in the movie. Has anyone else come up against this?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back