Imperial Probe Droid by Smt how is it?

takevin

Sr Member
I was thinking of getting one of these, does anyone have one, if so how do you like it? or if someone is selling one too/or a good place to get one. thanks

It's in the same leaque with the rest of the SMT stuff. It's not even close to studio accurate but if accuracy and proportion are not important and you don't have the time to scratch one this kit is for you.

The quality of the kit is one story but that sure is ONE AWESOME diorama! WOW! The snow is probably the best fake snow I've ever seen, and the scratch built pod is just awesome!

Steve.

Yeah, that IS a cool diorama...I keep going back to check it out. I think it may be at Wonderfest, btw.

SMT kits do get a bad rap for not being accurate, but IMHO they are better than most of the old licensed, mass-produced Star Wars kits. I have a Y-wing kit (old style) and even though it isn't perfect, it's got great detail, and it's a really nice size. If you want subjects not covered by Fine Molds, these guys are your best bet. I, for one, am glad that they are doing what they can!

Truth be told, I cancelled my probot / AT-AT order, due to their delays in production. However, they gave me a great deal because I'd ordered two kits at once (and they were throwing in a snowspeeder for free) and when I decided to cancel, they refunded my cash right away. Good guys, in my experience.

-Jeeves

Yeah, same here. I canceled my pre ordered AT-AT too when they launched the pics of the final product. They asked my why I didn't like it, I told them why it didn't like it. They told me that they were very sorry that there kit wasn't what I had expected, one day later they PayPaled me a full refund! Told me that I was welcomed back if I found a product of there's that I liked.

First class act IMO.

Steve.

I appreciate the info, i had no idea on the quality of SMT. Is there any tutorials for building one of these by chance or no?
icon_smile.gif

The quality of their product is first rate as is the customer service. the accuracy is not 100% but the models are better then most anything you can find out there of the same subject - especially for the price. I have several kits from them and am happy with all of them even thougoh I know they aren't "accurate" they are still impressive. Lets face it for $150 can you find and accurate AT-AT - no way. They are a good deal if you're lookign for a good model not a superb model which would cost 10-20 times as much ;(

Jedi Dade

There are some detailing issues with the dome head, a few shortcuts were taken as its not really as big as it should be by the obvious details it lacks. I think this was due in part by being constrained to the scale the droid was built in. Also the underside of the droid lacks details the scale model had naturally. The legs need some engineering of your own to make the pistons work correctly - some parts for the legs are backwards when it comes to the functionality of the the pistons. However, I'd challenge anyone to find a studio scale model replica kit for an original that was almost 2 feet tall with all that excruciating detail for $90. SMT did a good job.

Got my Probe droid today. It came very well packed, with a number of bags filled with parts. The bigger parts all have a few pinholes that need to be filled. Other than that I see very little wrong with the castings. The legs are all poseable, not moveable. You decide how they will look, and then fashion the appropriate length actuators from styrene and brass( included). It is a rather large kit considering it is all resin. Hollow cast on the big parts so it is lite weight. For $90 it is well worth it upon first inspection. I will let you know if I find any problems during assembly.

Happy to

http://smt.theshoppe.com/

These guys were always super nice to me and I really like their stuff. in fact I got a B-wing for christmas from them. I never really liked that ship but after getting their model of it Its become one of my favorites. The sucker is big detailed and looks awesome. The AT-AT has been talked about to death, the main thing that I can see "wrong" with it is that the head is a bit off, but even with that its still a grerat model. I can't wait for their version of the millenium Falcon. I'm already saving my pennies
icon_wink.gif
(Check out the news link)

Jedi Dade

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back