I'm having an existential re-think of my Lightsaber collection

As CopperRevan mentioned, I think it's important that we're honest with you as your sincere request for feedback deserves an honest response.

Personally I'm offloading some of my collection (not MR pieces but Star Wars props) while it has some value and I can recoup most of my money. Star Wars as a brand, the way we've known it for the last 45 years is in a decline as the market changes, as the brand itself changes under new leadership, and as an aging property naturally doesn't have the same impact it once did, even among it's oldest fans where they aren't always buying things the way they did in years past. Not that Star Wars is going to go away altogether, but in a decade we'll be looking at a very different community and the prop collecting world of Star Wars is going to operate under different conditions as we age. The same could be said of certain toy collecting communities too. The brand sees constant reinvention and the older generation tends to be the only ones interested and when those fans pass away, very few tend to carry the torch.

Not that I mean to sound dour about it, but there is a reality that we need to acknowledge and many of us here are getting older and it's a reasonable thing to reprioritize our hobby and collecting habits as we age. I think it's a natural step and a healthy one at that. Just like you'd reasses your business, or education, or family life, every once in a while, it's good to reflect on where you stand with collecting and what you want out of it. Given these factors it might be worth considering selling of some of your MR sabers if recouping your investment is a concern for you because markets shift and values could alter drastically, so if you want to part with them, now might be the time to let them go. If you feel that you'd just have to replace all the items you'd sell though? At that point you're better off not selling in the first place because those pieces check all of your boxes for what you want in a prop, so why go through the hassle of having to sell only to repurchase everything?

It's really a matter of whether your MR collection is fitting your current collecting needs. Granted you're going to have to decide for yourself, but since you reached out to the community with some concerns, perhaps this is a sign that you need to make a change. What that change looks like is up to you, but going through the effort of creating a thread to get feedback suggests this is a serious matter to you worth dedicated consideration and not just a daydream scenario you don't intend to act upon.

I hope you found this helpful.

The only MR I have is my Vader ESB FX lightsaber bought in 2005. At that time, I wanted all the MR hilts too, like you say, there just wasn't anything like them at the time and the FX hilts then were (for me) a rather big splurge for essentially a toy.

I only collect things that mean something to me. Like corliss1, I also don't keep duplicates of anything. Variants, maybe, but even I find that pushing it. I've said in the past that I'm not a "pure" prop or model guy, where I can love an object disassociated from the original source material---I'm just not like that. I love movies; I'm a film-fan, first and foremost. Owning something from the production (or something close to it) of a film I love brings me closer to it, as if I own a piece of it more than just my copy on DVD. I keep the things I do because I love these films/characters and they mean something to me.

I suppose in your case, the only question you have to ask yourself now is, "What do these mean to me, and does that answer tell me these are worth keeping?" That is the only way to get a satisfactory answer out of this.

Some really interesting philosophical questions involved with this. This is a great thread topic.

A few things:

I think you’re selling yourself short by saying (I think) that by selling these MR items you’d be losing some status as one of the old-timers who was around for the early days of SW as movies and as far as collecting. You were there, and have that status, whether you sell everything or keep buying more. There’s a simple sentence that I think applies here, just as it does for anyone’s hobby: You are not your collection. For many people a collection is a good window into what is important to you, but what you have collected does not define who you are (not meant as a lecture, by the way, just useful to remember for all of us I think. And helpful for anyone who has to or wants to let things go for some reason.)

Sometimes it’s good to stop and think: “Why am I collecting these things?” Is it to make you happy? Is it to bring back good memories when you look at them? Is it the process of being able to afford and then track them down one by one?

I struggled with the idea of “my collection” for a long time- I thought that my ideal of a “complete collection” would have one of almost everything from the original trilogy, even replicas of things from the movies that I didn’t like as much, because it seemed like they “had to be” included. Something like the Luke X-Wing helmet- I think it’s kinda uninteresting compared to a lot of the “less important” character’s helmets! But it took a long time for me to realize that it didn’t make sense to have it just to “complete” a collection. Some others have commented on having a collection that’s like a museum. That’s not a problem if it’s what you actually want to do, but for most of us, space is finite and there are some items that probably have less of a connection for you, emotionally.

I’ll close by saying, you also mentioned that it you’re a “tiny fish” here. I’ll respectfully disagree- you’ve been here over 20 years and have written over eight THOUSAND comments in various threads. Maybe you’re not one of the “big shots,” like you said. I’m not sure who here fits that description exactly. But rest assured, you’re not an unknown person here to many of us who have been reading and commenting along with you, and a few of those 8000+ comments are bound to have been good ones, don’t you think? :lol:

(In all seriousness, this thread ranks among the more interesting ones I’ve seen in quite a while. Hopefully the discussion is helpful and doesn’t lead to more uncertainty about what to do- in the end, only you have the answers about why you collect, what you like, and what you want to do next.)

The good: I have sold a few MR sabers and upgraded them without regret. I have a lot of custom lightsabers with custom cases and plaques that match the old MR style and blend in seamlessly.Like a few others have said buy a accurate version of the MR and see how you feel about,if you feel good then sell the MR.As collectors we have the individual power to collect or reject what goes in the collection.

The bad: If this is a existential re-think of your collection consider yourself lucky,not everyone can afford multiple “high end” props for a collection.For some people this is not even a option to have a collection as they have bill’s to pay and have to watch their money cautiously.Be thankful you have a first world existential re-think problem.

While the only MR saber I ever owned was the lightsaber construction kit, which I did sell, I may not be entirely qualified to comment on this... But when has that stopped anyone online?

Should you just sell all your MR pieces and replace them? The short answer would be no. If you have all of them, it might be worth just keeping them just for that reason, if that's what's important to you. If you don't have all of them, maybe it's a little easier to replace any of them.

Here's the litmus test: When you see something become available that you already have as an MR piece, do you feel like you'd enjoy owning that more? Does that desire override the "status" of an MR piece? Then by all means, swap them out.

But another thing to consider is whether there's any sentiment attached to a particular piece. It was a gift. You got it at a memorable time in your life. I was from the first time you won an auction on Ebay. Whatever. Keep that.

Ultimately what it boils down to is what will make you happy.

I have two Obi ANH sabers. One that's mostly machined and replica parts, and one that's mostly hand built. If I had to sell one, it would be the machined version. The handmade one, while far from accurate, represents a journey and development of my skills. The machined one, while more accurate, is just parts on a threaded rod. If it means something to you, keep it. If it doesn't, find something that does, or maybe is just a bit better, if that's what'll make you happy. Or less unhappy. Or won't compromise your perceived status as a collector. Or I should just stop talking now...

Buying a Rolex does not make you a watch collector.

If you value your collection only because of the "status" that comes with it being Master Replicas pieces, you are not really a collector. Personally I find collections full of nothing but MR pieces quite dreary. Collect what you like but also don't collect because of the monetary value. I've sold all my MR pieces years ago for more accurate pieces and never once looked back.

Buying a Rolex does not make you a watch collector.

If you value your collection only because of the "status" that comes with it being Master Replicas pieces, you are not really a collector. Personally I find collections full of nothing but MR pieces quite dreary. Collect what you like but also don't collect because of the monetary value. I've sold all my MR pieces years ago for more accurate pieces and never once looked back.
If you have ready any of my posts in this thread then you would know that I don't collect or have a collection because of the monetary value. If that were true I would have probably bought and sold many, many lightsabers and other collectibles over the last 20 years. You know. but low, sell high, who cares about whatever 'junk' I bought as long as I can make a buck re-selling it for a profit because I have no connection to what I collect. You could not have missed why I collect more than if you were trying to herd a cat.

Also, if someone collects Master Replica lightsabers because of the 'status' and 'value' they believe owning those pieces has, saying they are not really a collector is a nice way for you to gatekeep. People can collect for whatever reason they want, and if they have two or more pieces in their collection then they are a collector. You don't get to make the rules on what, why, or how someone who isn't you chooses to collect things. Buying a Rolex does not make you a watch collector, but buying two or more Rolex's actually does make you a watch collector.

Not to beat a dead horse but as I've said multiple times including my original post, MR sabers used to have status and value on the RPF many years ago. They don't anymore, but they do still have status and value amongst 'joe public' collectors who are not on the RPF, people who have no idea talented artisans study, work, and create masterpiece lightsabers with unbelievable accuracy because they are not on the RPF and they don't visit our corner of the internet. I know because I've watched their unboxing videos when they received that MR lightsaber they've always wanted and they were finally able to get it.

If I was all about status and monetary gain, I'm pretty sure they way I post/talk/interact on the RPF would be al lot different then how I've presented myself for the last 20 years here. I don't flash my sabers around here, I don't brag about what's in my collection, I don't constantly use every opportunity to show-off what I have or mention how many sabers I own. I collect lightsabers for me, because of the connection I have with Star Wars, my memories growing up, the characters, the stories, the movies, the music....

BTW, my entire lightsaber collection has been in storage bins and hasn't been on display or seen daylight for 9 years. I don't have them on display all over my house so friends and family can 'ooh' and 'aah' over them all the time to make me feel better about myself. I collect lightsabers because I love them and I love how they make me feel, and I love sharing my love of Star Wars with my kids.

And I don't Gatekeep fandom.

8AC34BB9-E5F1-485C-A40A-4D0DC2C09441.jpeg

My post wasn't meant to gatekeep but take it for what you will. Apologies if my own opinion on the matter rubbed you the wrong way but that was not my intention. Good luck with your collection.

Looking over this thread I have several thoughts:

First many of you either are very good typists or are using very good text to speech programs.

Second we have way, way too much time on our hands.

Seriously, fun discussion. I thought there would be a few short responses to this thread and that would be it.

BTW I realize many have disagreed with me about keeping the MR sabers and I would truly understand if you were correct.

:love: (y) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (y) :love:

Just kidding,..........kind of.

Not really.

My MR sabers are all in storage totes in favor of using found parts and fan made. I have sold some, and repurchased a few after selling. I honestly consider selling them all each year and then don’t. Now some are practically screen used due to Kenobi, so those have to stay, but I could honestly do without them at this point.

my entire lightsaber collection has been in storage bins and hasn't been on display or seen daylight for 9 years.
Oh my Force! James Kenobi 1138 ! I'm deeply saddened for your lightsabers. They are all in the clear tombs of dispair where all unused things go to die. :(

Please don't hide them away like that, lightsabers have feelings too. You don't want to have them give you traumatic Force whispers calling you down into their lightless dungeon. And then when you finally uncover them, they'll give you nightmarish Force daymares so horrifying that when you finally stumble up the stairs and into the light, you'll awake shaken to your core!

I implore you to make space in your living area for at least one lightaber stand. If you have one, great! Dust it off and put it to use. If not, get to buying or building one immediately. Then, at least once a month, retrieve a lightsaber from its lightless dispair and rotate it into the lightsaber stand.

In this manner it will rebuild its connection to the Living Force and remain on the Path of Light. Unless of course it's a Sith saber, then just leave it where it lies, they're beyond hope. ;)

Seriously though, get one out and put it on display for YOUR enjoyment! If your kids are little, display it on high where they can't get to it. If your friends happen to come over and "ooh and ahh", all the better, it's yet another potential RPF'ing Star Wars Geek in the making.

NOW GO SAVE ONE OF THOSE LIGHTSABERS FOR FORCE SAKE!

Oh my Force! James Kenobi 1138 ! I'm deeply saddened for your lightsabers. They are all in the clear tombs of dispair where all unused things go to die. :(

Please don't hide them away like that, lightsabers have feelings too. You don't want to have them give you traumatic Force whispers calling you down into their lightless dungeon. And then when you finally uncover them, they'll give you nightmarish Force daymares so horrifying that when you finally stumble up the stairs and into the light, you'll awake shaken to your core!

I implore you to make space in your living area for at least one lightaber stand. If you have one, great! Dust it off and put it to use. If not, get to buying or building one immediately. Then, at least once a month, retrieve a lightsaber from its lightless dispair and rotate it into the lightsaber stand.

In this manner it will rebuild its connection to the Living Force and remain on the Path of Light. Unless of course it's a Sith saber, then just leave it where it lies, they're beyond hope. ;)

Seriously though, get one out and put it on display for YOUR enjoyment! If your kids are little, display it on high where they can't get to it. If your friends happen to come over and "ooh and ahh", all the better, it's yet another potential RPF'ing Star Wars Geek in the making.

NOW GO SAVE ONE OF THOSE LIGHTSABERS FOR FORCE SAKE!

Gonna have to agree. It's totally cool, but I have never understood a collection that is not displayed.

If the significant other has a problem with it,...dump them.

"Wives come and go. That's the plain truth of it, but props last forever."

-Wyatt Earp

Out of sight out of mind.If in mind, in sight as well.Sorry like some of the others have said to see your collection collecting isolation.Dude you have a awesome x-mas present to yourself to open and share with your family.

#LightsabersNeedToBeDisplayed

Gonna have to agree. It's totally cool, but I have never understood a collection that is not displayed.

If the significant other has a problem with it,...dump them.

"Wives come and go. That's the plain truth of it, but props last forever."

-Wyatt Earp
My sabers were on display from 2002 through 2013 in my old house. I packed them up in 2013 when we moved and then a lot of life happened since then including a complete career change in 2015 and a lot of medical issues with my 2 youngest kids including open heart surgery for my 7 year old daughter in 2020. My display space has, unfortunately, been under construction longer then I wanted.

Last edited:
My sabers were on display from 2002 through 2013 in my old house. I packed them up in 2013 when we moved and then a lot of life happened since then including a complete career change in 2015 and a lot of medical issues with my 2 youngest kids including open heart surgery for my 7 year old daughter in 2020. My display space has, unfortunately, been under construction longer then I wanted.

So sorry to hear. Obviously family first.

I hope everyone has recovered.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back