I'm a Bro and I Sew... Who else is with me?

I'm a guy and I sew! I sewed my WWII Cap Suit
2012-07-13%2013.38.51.jpg

comic-con-iphone-pics-448.jpg

but then again I sew for a living! and the stuff I sew at work sometimes give me an edge!
2012-02-03%2015.22.23.jpg

Yeah I know I look like crap in that pic!

I like it! I'm not familiar with Ezio. I'm guessing Assassin's Creed? I've seen enough images to get the tie-in, but I'm digging the cavalier look.

On a side note, ever time someone refers to themselves as a "Brony," I think "JAbroni." :lol
I grew up on 80s wrestling...
Also, it seems appropriate.

This is a great thread!
I'm a bro, and I sew. There, I said it.
Some of you know this already, but I sew mostly Star Wars costumes, specifically Fett-related items, but I've also done Jedi costumes, biker and snow scout soft parts, small commissions, and some medieval/Renaissance-era tunics.

My first sewing machine was an old, 60's era, hand-me-down metal beater from Montgomery Ward. I didn't have a clue as to how to use it, so it was mostly trial and error. I wound the thread onto the bobbin with a pencil. :)

After a few months of frustration, I bought a Kenmore machine from Sears, and it came with an instruction booklet! Suddenly all those little gadgets and whatsits on the machine made sense! I was off and running.

These days, I still do a little sewing, but as I get older, my eyesight is getting worse, and I have to wear reading glasses to thread needles and such. But I'm still using the same Kenmore machine I bought in 1998.

I've been thinking about getting a serger...

I love this thread and it's great seeing guys sew. Back in the day men out numbered women as professional tailors and clothiers, but somewhere along the line sewing has become the 'thing women are supposed to do'.

My favourite machine was the one i was bought to start my degree. Cant remember the exact model number, but it was a Pfaff crafting machine that could sew through anything..leather, no problem. Thick wools, no problem because you could lift the foot higher than any other machine. Only needed one fix during its life until something big went wrong with it and found out to get it fixed would cost same as what it cost originally to buy (many machine repairers disapearing so actually hard to find someone to fix it in the first place.) So now it sits in it's box waiting to find someone who can fix it for a good price and i have a cheapy Silverline machine from Lidl (uk budget store) that does the jobs i need and a Toyota overlocker (serger) for all the stretchy stuff , which again was bought over 20 years ago for my degree and has never broken down!

It's so great to see guys sewing - unfortunately lots of my friends think it's a female hobby (and that attacking things with a dremel and hacksaw is a male hobby >_<).
Hopefully the fantastic pieces of work here can help convince my partner to put more effort into learning to sew. He's supposedly been interested for a year or so, but has only managed to put one extra panel to make a hood bigger, then gave up and got me to do the rest ^_^'
I've got two electric singer sewing machines kindly donated by elderly relatives, but I think I'm downgrading my partner to the hand-wheel one until he stops making the bobbin get tangled.

Just out of curiosity, what is everyone's preferred method for drafting a costume pattern? Butchering something that already fits and copying? Draping and pinning? Or drawing something on the fabric...going balls to the wall and hope what you cut out is the right shape?

I'd love to use the first method, but that never happens to something I'd be okay cutting up. The second only works occasionally. And the last approach I use for pretty much every costume I've made to date.
A little of both, for me. My Red Skull was from a pattern that I modded to work, but I'm working on the Avengers Captain America, and I'm starting with a pattern and draping from there. I once had a client sitting on my couch and watching TV in her underwear while I draped and sewed a costume for her in a couple of hours!

I've sewn a few things, though I'll admit I still have to hire a seamstress now and again.

ArmWraps-botharms.jpg

TuskenBeltotherstraps.jpg
100_1133.jpg

First version of my satyr cap (all hand stitched and designed my own pattern)
100_1332.jpg
100_1334.jpg
100_1326.jpg

Second version of my satyr cap (all hand stitched and designed my own pattern)
100_1365.jpg
100_1577.jpg
100_1585.jpg
100_1605.jpg
100_1607.jpg
100_1608.jpg

I sewed the cape and inner tunic for my ANH Vader from ten yards of wool and about as much satin. Also sewed the leather collar. In addition modified my faux leather body suit for the same costume.

Not really an expert at sewing, but good enough to pass muster for entry into the 501st.

I should add I did destroy my wife's sewing machine on my first cape attempt... so much for saving money making my own cape.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

I am a bro who sews as well. Here is what I've been working on. Captain America TFA. I am always driven to new heights by how creative everyone is on here.

Gerbil: Nice work on the Lovett... Do we have a Todd to go with?

Sorry missed that first time round Thanks..and yes I am Sweeney Todd to her Lovett..
Largely bought pieces but modified and altered by myself to make more accurate..(the vest is actually Brown as it's supposed to be but always seems to look grey in photos..)
The machine I use is an 85 year old Hand powered Singer machine. Goes through practically anything.
Sweeney0001.jpg

536435_10150859142178218_1857162496_n.jpg

I started learning to use a sewing machine! Now my wife has asked me to minor alterations. lol... Ive actually enjoyed what Ive been able to do. Not very good at it yet though...

Very inspiring thread, you guys! Thanks for sharing all your works :)

I've been wanting learn how to sew ever since. I'm hoping I'll finally be able to get some lessons early next year.

I have my toe in the water of the kiddie pool. So far I've been sewing velcro to various straps and vests. Nothing too complicated, yet, but I'm learning. :)

I'm a bro and I sew! I re-upholstered my car seats in red, and made almost an entire Anakin (the pants are just brown jeans from pacsun ^_^) starting to work with foam tho - Iron man, TDK, Malgus, and hopefully soon some High Warlord gear! sewing where i can

IMG_0336 by ajakadoo, on Flickr

Hello, my name is Daniel and I too am a bro that sews.

I started sewing at a young age, too young most would say.
It started harmless enough with just "trying it out" by sewing velcro on things. And the spiral down began. Soon I was finding myself helping make my own Halloween costumes. Later in life I couldn't get that monkey off my back, and I continued to sew things. From sewing patches on my leather vest, to making costumes from scratch, I can't kick this habit. To this day I even have *gasp* TWO sewing machines!! I know, I know, I have a problem...

:D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back