IG-88 Head. Opinions needed!

I upgraded the eye stalks with a slightly more accurate model, and better scale. It's more like the VD
picture, but not exact. I'm crap at 3D modeling. Wider apart and the plate goes all the way back under the cube parts.

IMG_1630.jpeg

Here is some more reference. I'm surprised at how hard it is to find clearer shots of IG-88. There really arent many great shots of the prop.

Anyways... I do believe there is more to it than we think. For example, I dont think its a flat bar underneath the two boxes. Looks like a box holds a rod so that the eyes can articulate up and down. You can see it in the black and white shot behind the scenes with Vader, Fett and Irvin.

normal_esb-bts-director.jpg

IG88B.jpg

IG-88B-ESB.jpg

434.jpg

I always wondered how the burner can came apart at the bottom. The seams feel pretty solid to me.

The more reference pics I see the more I realize this model is way out of me skill level.
Someone needs to take this project on. The closer I get to screen accurate the further I am
away for it.

Yeah, I definitely think the eye stock is round. Great shots of IG-88! I've got the one with Vader, Boba. & Kersh. But the single shot of him holding both guns, I don't think I've seen that one before.
The seams on mine are very tight as well.

That looks really good. If anything, I'd angle the "platform" the eyes sit on, back a bit. That way the eyes will naturally look more up.

I like it! Makes it look as if the eyes can pivot.
Could you do one where the eyes look like they are pivoted up a bit? It could help change the "down" look they have when sitting on the tube.

I like it! Makes it look as if the eyes can pivot.
Could you do one where the eyes look like they are pivoted up a bit? It could help change the "down" look they have when sitting on the tube.
They would not look so far down when it's attached at the back. That's what the tab in the back is for.

That looks phenomenal! by far the best interpretation I've seen anyone come up with. The way I see it, we wouldnt even need the a rod sticking down. I believe it should be srewed from the bottom to hold it in place.

Ok. I tweaked the design one last time. I think I've printed this part at least seven times with
all the versions. This is the last one! If we get better reference photos I'll just make do with what
I have. I still have some sanding and painting to do before I place it.

IMG_1637.jpeg

IMG_1638.jpeg

I made this collage last night with some of my screen grabs and pics kurty had sent me. Maybe it will help. Looks like that center piece goes into the head and is the main mount. Then it has 2 rods coming out of it held with flat head? screws.

ig88 eyes.png

Those photos make me pretty comfortable with my last design. About as close as I can produce.
It looks great on my IG-88 head as well. I have a few previous incarnations of the eye stalks
I no longer need if someone does not care too much about how accurate and needs a set.

Looks good. I'll measure up my tube tomorrow - genuine one for hole size etc

oooh! I modeled up the base tube here, but haven't ever had access to a real one for measurements so it's purely eyeballed:

Derwent Flame Tube / IG-88 head by stormtrooperguy

I'll update that hole dimension. If you could spare some additional time with a ruler/calipers I could probably improve a bunch of parts of this thing :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back