Identifying Dean Corso's bag from The Ninth Gate

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Sulla, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Sulla

Sulla Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I am trying to identify Corso's (Johhny Depp) shoulder bag from the move The Ninth Gate. I am having a helluva' time finding screen grabs with the bag in it, and am unable to get my own from my DVD.

I took these pics from the telly... sory about the quality.. I'll be geitting some DVD software here soon...

[​IMG]

Here's a link to he album with more pix:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y297/boozee/Corso/

Please help me.

2. Sulla

*bump*

3. juno

juno Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks like an ammo bag to me.

4. augofett

augofett Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Same to me, and since the movie was shot in Europe, it may well be russian or something, I will check my Ospreys.

5. Sulla

6. augofett

augofett Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Go Here:
    Galaxy Navy

Look for "Military Bags and Packs" and browse the links and you will find closer and cheaper bags.

7. Sulla

8. Brigandia36

Brigandia36 Sr Member

The bag of Corso is identified since last year by myself as a "french army shoulder bag".
    Due to the rarity of the item I can try to provide a small quantity only.

If someone interested, let me your name or pm me and I will tell you the price I can have for this stuff.

9. phanen

phanen New Member

Re: Identifying Corso's bag - 9th Gate

Do you still have this bag available?

10. Brigandia36

Brigandia36 Sr Member

I have lost the password of my old login but I am here !!!

I can try to ask . pm me next week.

Thanks

11. phanen

phanen New Member

Hi. I just PM you. Do let me know whether you still have the bag available.

12. phanen

phanen New Member

Is the bag still available????

13. phanen

phanen New Member

Dear ALL,

I have identified CORSO's BAG and found place that sells it.

PM me if interested.

14. phanen

phanen New Member

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  15. Brigandia36

Brigandia36 Sr Member

Yes ! Bingo this is an ammo bag from french army from 1929. Very hard to find even in France. I am always looking for some and I am waiting for two now...
    But I need to be patient 'cause the guy tell me that some weeks ago...

16. Psmith

Psmith Member

Hello all. I feel like I know you all somehow, given that we all share a strong interest in "the bag". I have been looking high and low for this thing. Found all manner of bags that were close and not so close. Cheap and nothing like cheap. But finally I discover you guys and your wonderful research! You seem to have found it! I would love to get one of these guys. Does anyone still have leads on where to purchase the above mentioned French bag? Failing that, is there any way someone could take a bunch of pictures of their already obtained bag and post em or email them? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

17. elgpostei

elgpostei New Member

Hi!
    I would love to know where you bought your replica/repro model? And what it was called. I don't know french :(
    Been looking on and off for this bag since, well.. some years..

18. whoever

whoever Well-Known Member

Let me dig up the info, and I'll PM you. I've been waiting on the buckle hardware to arrive at the manf. so I can get mine for a while....

19. byblyos

byblyos New Member

Hello
    Sorry for my bad english, i'm french.
    This bag is rare (musette modèle 1935)
    With luck it's possible to have one on ebay.fr (price approximately 100 euros)

My bag :

[​IMG]

tell me if you want more pics

20. rbinko2001

rbinko2001 New Member

Does anyone know where you can find the repro bag of Corso's? I would very much appreciate it.

21. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

22. phanen

phanen New Member

23. rbinko2001

rbinko2001 New Member

What are the dimensions of the schipperfabrik bag? I would like to use it for work but I need to know if it's big enough for regular sized notebooks, etc.
    Thanks.

24. Psmith

Psmith Member

I've been thinking about adding a bit more to this thread, and with the above posters question, I think I will. So, the dimensions of the actual bag. They are roughly, 12inx9inx4in or 30cmx22cmx11cm.

Things that do not fit:
    Medium to larger magazines, three ring binders, larger notebooks, laptops(unless you have a netbook or something similar) and, of course, anything else that might not line up with one or more of the above dimensions.

Given that I love this bag (and it is the bag that I fell in love with, not the movie) I have, since getting hold of an original and a repro(of the two I prefer the repro for color and bag life), found that, despite my love for it, it is less than ideally functional for my particular needs. This being the case, I changed my needs to suit the bag while I continued to look for the closest possible approximation, but with some more functionality. Below are my best finds for anyone else who is in my situation.

My criteria for this search was first and foremost, size, followed closely by shape, color and features. Size, because, though I wanted a larger bag, I wanted to maintain the lightness and the general look of the actual bag. Color, shape and features (straps, pockets, buckles etc.) are self explanatory. If you do not mind the bag being far too large to really resemble the actual bag, then this opens up a lot of options. There are numerous canvas and leather bags out there that fit the profile. Fishing bags, anglers bags, Timberland Canvas messenger and so on. So, finally, here we go, in no particular order, except for the last one.

Barbour Tarras Spring bag, Earth

Sandstorm fishing bag, Sand

Rogue Bush Sling bag, one of the lesser likenesses, as not leather trim o nthe flap, but it looks like a nice bag

* Fishing bag, has faux leather and the straps seems a bit slim but worth a look

Wolsey Canvas Messenger Bag, looks very nice, but is seemingly out of production and really hard to find

Lastly, and my particular favorite, is the Ralph Lauren, Rugby Brand Canvas Messenger bag.

If you are looking for the closest possible approximation to the actual bag, but need more out of it than the bag can provide, then I hope the above little list is of help. Good luck out there and if anyone finds anything better than what I have thus far, then jump in here and let us know. Thanks.

25. GCV

GCV New Member

I got my mle musette 1935 bag repro from Schipperfabrik yesterday. It is an awesome bag. If you look at the various pictures out there, you will see pics that show the bag as a greenish canvas, a light khaki canvas, and a brown khaki canvas - like a cardboard box. The schipperfabrik website shows the bag as the green color while the photo of the repro showed the light khaki. So I was surprised to find that the actual color was the brown khaki color. I think I like the actual color it came as best of all.

The best part of this bag is the smell!!!!

The bag is quite functional for me. I bought it to carry around my iPad (in a Portenzo case) and other odds and ends as I wander about Austria in a couple weeks. This bag should be perfect for that.

26. GCV

GCV New Member

I watched the movie again last night. The bag that ships appears to be a perfect replica to the one Johnny Depp carries - even the color is correct.

27. brians song

brians song New Member

Can you please post a picture of the reproduction bag you received. Thanks.

28. TyskiDaro

TyskiDaro New Member

byblyos or GCV, could you post more pictures of yours bags? I would be grateful!
    GCV, how much did you pay for shipment to Europe and how long have you been waiting for parcel?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  29. byblyos

byblyos New Member

ok more pics of the original bag :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. TyskiDaro

TyskiDaro New Member

wow, it's really looks like in film. I'm impressed. Thank you.

31. elgpostei

elgpostei New Member

Hi!

I've bought the replica model from Schipperfabrik and was wondering what I could do to make it seem more weathered?

All help is greatly appreciated!

I'm also impressed by the good detective work shown in this topic! :)

32. Thibault

Thibault Sr Member

Well, I was thinking that the bag was much more a Musette MLE 1935...?

But if you want to weather it quickly, wash it with peebles, inside an other bag (to protect the washing machine), at 40°c and 1200 tour per minutes !

33. elgpostei

elgpostei New Member

Thanks for the quick answer!

Peebles = Small rocks? And sorry if this is a stupid question, but the leather will handle the wash? And what kind of bag would one use to protect the washing machine?

I feel a bit stupid, but I greatly appreciate your help!

34. Thibault

Thibault Sr Member

Yes, I meant small stones !

The leather will also be weathered, but you can start with a first light wash, just to see how it works...

i have used my old Eastpack school bag, surrounded by towels, the tip is to protect the washing machine drum, because, I don't know if you are married or not, but your wife will not appreciate that ;) !

This is the quickest method, but you can wash it several times without the stones !

35. TyskiDaro

TyskiDaro New Member

elgpostei (or someone else) can you tell me how long have you been waiting for parcel? (from Schipperfabrik).

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  36. brians song

brians song New Member

These are my two French musette bags. The one on the left is from Schipperfabrik, the other i found on ebay.

37. brians song

brians song New Member

The Schipperfabrik bag is nice but I found the leather around the trim to be thin and cheap. The bag on the right is the exact bag from the Ninth Gate. The canvas and leather are in perfect condition, much stronger than the reproduction.

38. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

If you find another one, sell it to me. ;)

39. TyskiDaro

TyskiDaro New Member

A few days ago I received a package from Schipperfabrik with bag (To Poland parcel goes about 8 days). The bag is great, I really like it! The colour and smell are the best!

If anybody wants I can upload a few photos.

40. Brigandia36

Brigandia36 Sr Member

I have an original bag from the production. And I saw the replica from the schipperfabrik. The replica is bad canvas and bad size.
    The original is a french musette modèle 1935 to carry ammo and pod for 1929 rifle.

41. brians song

brians song New Member

Can you post a picture of your original bag. Thanks.

42. mason

mason New Member

I've been following this thread for a while and the bag in question is very, very close. I

That said, the bag in the film seems to either have been modified or is different. In one scene Depp is looking for something in the bag and there are *two* internal compartments. If there were two the airline ticket would have needed to be folded.

It looks like the two smaller outer pockets have been sewn together and turned into a larger compartment giving two usable spaces rather than one and two next to useless pockets.

In the scene he has the book in the back compartment and he pulls stuff out of the front compartment, passport, pack of tissues, airline ticket etc.

If you look at the picture in this link:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/identifying-dean-corsos-bag-ninth-gate-3899/

you can see that the front two pockets look sewn together to make one big one.

From personal experience of this type of small pocket I suspect this was done because getting stuff out of those small pockets is a pain.

You dive in with your hand and can no longer see what you want. You grab something and then find that because you're holding whatever it is your hand is now too large to pull out of the small pocket without letting go of what you're holding!

Neither practical or elegant having a character fumble in his bag trying to fish something out with two fingers.

Mason

43. Alex1975

Alex1975 New Member

Hi, everybody!
    I am from Ukraine. And looking for this bag too.
    I have been following this thread a long time and to know many interesting. Thanks everybody.
    Now i am searching this bag in ebay, but no result. If anybody to know where i can get it, please type in this thread or e-mail (ale_ander@rambler.ru)
    Exactly - i don't need bag from schipperfabrik. I need only original. Thanks.....
    Sorry for my bad english.

44. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

I have a dozen vintage ones in storage. How many do you need?

I need a drink.

45. Alex1975

Alex1975 New Member

I need 1 pc. What is the price? What is condition? Can I see a photo?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  46. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Unbelievable.

47. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

Another drink mayhaps? :lol

48. Alex1975

Alex1975 New Member

I understood. It was a joke.:unsure

49. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Sorry for the jab bro. It is just that your first post is I WANT ______. Want to buy threads belong in the Junkyard and AFTER you have acquainted yourself with the site and have some decent posts. You must have skimmed through this thread because post #38 should have tipped you off that I was talking out my ###.

50. Alex1975

Alex1975 New Member

I saw post #38. Thought you have found lot of bags since then...:lol
    Ok - will keep on finding :thumbsup