i want to start sculpting but dont know what to buy, any help?

MrGzilla

hey, ive been building props for a little while now, and want to go into the special fx buisiness when i graduate college, but i want to start sculpting more, and build my skills so that ill be able to produce a portfolio and have more knowlege of these things, but im lost as to what to buy to start this, so what is the best clay to buy? i also want to build my make up skills more, so is there an fx make up kit out there? i want to learn how to make prosthetic appliences and how to utilize them, so the sculpting is the fist thing i need to practice. im pretty good at, but ive never tried anything on a larger scale, so i want to try a few busts
so any help or tips would be great!
thank you!

hey, ive been building props for a little while now, and want to go into the special fx buisiness when i graduate college, but i want to start sculpting more, and build my skills so that ill be able to produce a portfolio and have more knowlege of these things, but im lost as to what to buy to start this, so what is the best clay to buy? i also want to build my make up skills more, so is there an fx make up kit out there? i want to learn how to make prosthetic appliences and how to utilize them, so the sculpting is the fist thing i need to practice. im pretty good at, but ive never tried anything on a larger scale, so i want to try a few busts
so any help or tips would be great!
thank you!

Sorry, don't have any pointers because you sound just like me! I've been modelling for years and know the ins and outs of it, but also thought that sculpting would be a great new skill to use in the business, and would look great on my portfolio.

I want to go up and work for WETA Workshop (good luck..) after I finish my degree, so I'd love some tips in the sculpting department too!

If you want to practice sculpting busts and such, get yourself a few bags of WED clay, it's a cheap, slow drying water based clay that is very easy to model with and allows for quick build ups.
I would certainly recommend that as a starting point over an oil based clay.

Also, if you would like to learn the art of prosthetic make-up and application, then I thoroughly recommend neill gortons instructional dvd's. These are ( in my opinion) THE best and most comprehensive DVDs available on the subject.

Just buy some clay and start experimenting. I'm still pretty new and I only make small items so far. I just use whatever I have around, sometimes blending different kinds until I have the consistency I want. Bakable clay(Sculpey, etc) is nice, because it won't dry out, and then you can cure it once you're done. I have some regular modeling clay to try next. I also like the little metal tools with shaped loops at the ends. Getting them has helped me a lot. But simple things like toothpics and paintbrush handles also work sometimes.

If you want to practice sculpting busts and such, get yourself a few bags of WED clay, it's a cheap, slow drying water based clay that is very easy to model with and allows for quick build ups.
I would certainly recommend that as a starting point over an oil based clay.

Also, if you would like to learn the art of prosthetic make-up and application, then I thoroughly recommend neill gortons instructional dvd's. These are ( in my opinion) THE best and most comprehensive DVDs available on the subject.

thanks for the info! is there any clay thats relatively cheep thats reuseable?
ill definitley look into getting those dvds though!

WED is cheap, re-useable, easy to clean up, odorless and was good enough to sculpt most of Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom.

Laffo.

Just buy some clay and start experimenting. I'm still pretty new and I only make small items so far. I just use whatever I have around, sometimes blending different kinds until I have the consistency I want. Bakable clay(Sculpey, etc) is nice, because it won't dry out, and then you can cure it once you're done. I have some regular modeling clay to try next. I also like the little metal tools with shaped loops at the ends. Getting them has helped me a lot. But simple things like toothpics and paintbrush handles also work sometimes.

thanks! ive used sculptey, and its great for smaller things, but its just too expensive to do bigger projects with and thats really what im looking to practice at

You can get sculpting tools dirt cheap online or at local craft shops before moving on to more expensive versions. Personally the wooden and plastic ones I have work find for me and half the time I use whatever is sitting near me instead of going for the tools. One big thing is to be patient and not rush.

You can get sculpting tools dirt cheap online or at local craft shops before moving on to more expensive versions. Personally the wooden and plastic ones I have work find for me and half the time I use whatever is sitting near me instead of going for the tools. One big thing is to be patient and not rush.

yeah, ive always used whatever i could find or even make instead of the tools, you can usualy find or carve any tool youll need.
thanks for the tip! thats something i need to work on too... xD

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back