I can't believe you guys (Update again!)

Originally posted by rigormortis@Feb 16 2006, 08:45 PM
Please don't beat yourself up about it.  We've all gotten ripped before.  Hopefully another member here will learn from this thread and not vastly overpay for a prop.

In the end, you'll finally have that suit of sunblock you've always wanted since you first saw them on screen.  And it always could have been worse...
[snapback]1186474[/snapback]​

That's right. let's hope for the best here.... hopefully it will work out fine for you.

Originally posted by Funky Jedi@Feb 16 2006, 05:27 PM
I gotta tell you, and disrespect intended, you can buy the same inaccurate Fx suit with the huge bobble-head helmet for 500.00 unbuilt. 
[snapback]1186354[/snapback]​

I got 2 suits for $400 each back when GT was still selling...still have the armor,but sold the helmets for AP ones. Unreal how much even the GT/AFX has gone up :eek GT was a GREAT guy and a superb dealer back in the day. Sad to see that site go away :unsure

Steve

Well I'll keep you guys updated. If things turn out really bad, I have a friend that owns www.princessleia.com And I'll make a blog and ask her to put it up there. Thus proving, always ask RPF before making a big a55 purchase.

Thanks guys for being supportive, even if the person is a doof. Thankfully I live in the US and he'll waive the shipping... at least I got that going for me and not the big old shipment payment from tokyo.

THIS SUIT IS WORN BY 95% OF TROOPERS

THAT SHOULD TELL YOU SOMETHING ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE COSTUME ...

ALSO, PLEASE DON'T CONFUSE US WITH RESELLERS OF OUR PRODUCTS OR COPY CAT SELLERS .....

WE'VE HAD PROBLEMS WITH OTHER COPY CAT SELLERS INTERFERING WITH OUR BIDDERS SO ALL BIDDERS BIDS WILL NOW BE PRIVATE AND PROTECTED. SAVE $100.00'S OR POSSIBLY $1000.00'S AND GO WITH THE EXPERTS.

[sarcasm]you're saying 95% of troopers don't wear this armor... egads[/sarcasm]

sorry but, when spending 2k, I'd never buy it site unseen... at the very lease, I'd research the hell out of it before spending it

I mean even if I didn't know about this place, how hard could it be to go to the 501st website and ask them who makes what, and who does it well...

Wait, wait. I just thought of something, I haven't paied him yet. I was waiting until the money was transferred into the bank account. I can STILL get out of this with my money (maybe one bad feedback) but that's it. Should I do it?

if you haven't paid for that, I wouldn't. I would rather take one negative feedback over losing over 1K any day of the week-especially when the guy is less than reputable like costumejunkie. Good luck.

-M

Originally posted by Mega Gigan@Feb 16 2006, 10:39 PM
Wait, wait. I just thought of something, I haven't paied him yet. I was waiting until the money was transferred into the bank account. I can STILL get out of this with my money (maybe one bad feedback) but that's it. Should I do it?
[snapback]1186550[/snapback]​

After reading everything that everyone here has said, tell me what you think is the best thing to do? :angel

Thank you guys so FRUCKING much. I'll just take a hit at the ol' ebay account. Thanks guys... now can anyone guide me to a GOOD stormtrooper suit?

What size are you? I think, from what I've seen, that the one you had bid on is the most generic, adaptable of the suits out there. I have had one however, and was not too impressed with it. It's good for trooping, but I did not enjoy it when I wore it. If I had to go with a trooper suit I'd get one of the ones made from the movie suits-if at all possible.

-M

I'm a pretty big guy. I'm 6'0" and I weigh... a lot. Let's just say I'm pretty husky. I wanted to be a Scouttrooper but one, I think I'm for too fat for it and two I would hate how it would show off my legs and stuff.

I was a little husky when I had my trooper armor, and didn't really get into it too much. I took measures to correct it though, lost 40 pounds in the past 5 months with a moderate diet and exercise. Spend some money doing that, and then buy a trooper, you'll feel a lot better bro.

-Matt

Yeah, I'm trying to lose weight now (still dropping.) So this will be a great incentive to get me even skinnier. So trooper armor? Anyone?

I hate to say it, but take the eBay hit and save yourself a grand. I'd be more than happy to get you in touch with an armorer who won't rip you off.

Even SDS armor is cheaper than that.

Mega, I'd sell you mine...Its only been worn twice. My only concern would be height. I'm 5'8 and the leg armor has been trimmed height wise. Nothing has been trimmed girth wise and I have pretty big legs, so the stints are already in there.

I'm gonna be brutal here.

If you're a fat guy. Don't be a Stormtrooper, there are enough fat troopers out there already. Along with a bevy of Boba Fatts.

Do a scout or a jedi, the costumes are more forgiving.

Just being honest.

Originally posted by micdavis@Feb 16 2006, 08:30 PM
I'm gonna be brutal here.

If you're a fat guy.  Don't be a Stormtrooper, there are enough fat troopers out there already. Along with a bevy of Boba Fatts.

Do a scout or a jedi, the costumes are more forgiving.

Just being honest.
[snapback]1186634[/snapback]​
Gee, Mike - is this about your issues with obesity or about one of our own feeling good about purchasing his first stormtrooper armor? Trust me - you're not telling him anything he already doesn't know, and I doubt he posted here to read your "intervention." :rolleyes

What's *YOUR* BMI, for that matter?

Un-frakkin-believable. :thumbsdown

- Gabe

Honestly, I can't argue with him in this instance. I've apparently seen enough 200-lb. Slave Leias that I'm inclined to agree - one must costume to body type, or run the risk of public ridicule/embarassment. It sucks for the rabid fan, but is a fact of life.

Don't costume to be Wedge when you're really better suited to be Porkins. Don't costume to be Leia when you're better suited to be Oola. Don't costume to be Chewbacca when you're better suited to be a Jawa.

Originally posted by LZeitgeist+Feb 17 2006, 02:58 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LZeitgeist @ Feb 17 2006, 02:58 PM)</div>
Don't costume to be Wedge when you're really better suited to be Porkins. Don't costume to be Leia when you're better suited to be Oola. Don't costume to be Chewbacca when you're better suited to be a Jawa.[/b]

I agree that it makes good sense to costume oneself in a way that takes advantage of one's own physical characteristics. If you wear a costume that makes the most of your build and/or facial features, people are likely to admire your appearance, whereas if you costume yourself against your build, some may laugh at you.

That notwithstanding, there's no reason for anyone not to wear the costume he or she prefers, regardless of body type, as long as one is happy with the way one looks and not overly concerned with the opinions of others.

<!--QuoteBegin-micdavis
@Feb 17 2006, 02:33 PM
So it's okay to save guy the money but not embarassment.

He seem to be looking for honest opinions, I gave him one.
[snapback]1186673[/snapback]​

Although I don't recall Mega Gigan ever soliciting "honest opinions" about his weight, one could say he opened the door to such "advice" by referring to himself as "too fat." It's nice that you want to save him some embarrassment, if that really is your motive. But the way you're going about it seems "brutal" (your word), and likely to produce the very effect that you claim you are trying to spare him. 2 cents

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back