I can't believe you guys (Update again!)

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Mega Gigan, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Mega Gigan

Mega Gigan Well-Known Member

2. corranhornjje

corranhornjje Well-Known Member

Gotta love instant gratification. If that person would have done a little investigating and contacted people they wouldn't have been taken for so much.

3. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

a friend of mine did the same thing. :$
    Congrats on getting the gear.

4. Mega Gigan

Well, I tried putting together a clone trooper and that was just taking a painful amount of time. Frankly it's time that I don't have (This silly thing called work eats up most of my time). When I saw this I practically fell in love with it. I'll be honest, I don't know much about Storm Trooper armor, but I do know of the FX armor. So I felt safe buying it.

Maybe it could have gone for less... if I bought it in bits and peices, but would it really be the same in the end? Factor in shipping and everything else?

5. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Sr Member

My fully assembled FX armor only sold for $710...wish I could've sold it for that much. I have another set, wanna buy it for $1700?

6. rigormortis

rigormortis Well-Known Member

CostumeJunkie has a very bad rep. here. I hope Ed comes through for you...

7. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

8. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

I can't believe anyone bought ANYTHING from him. I've never met a more dishonest dealer in my life.

9. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

I read that blog.... horrific.

I'll never buy anything from him.

There seems to be a lot of BS going on lately with sellers (ex: Bowjunkie, Costumejunkie, SPFX, etc..)

Its sooooo sad to see this kind of stuff happening because this is such a wonderful hobby.

10. vaderfanforever

vaderfanforever Active Member

When I bought my Vader hard parts, it was through Ed as well. It took friggin forever to get the stuff. I got the same responses as Mega Gigan. He is very bad at putting things off for as long as possible. And the lie about a vacation?? Unbelieveable. This guy can't be trusted.

I would NEVER buy from this guy.

VFF

11. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

I've had personal dealings with this guy. I wouldn't trust him if he told me the sky was blue.

I love how his stock introductory e-mail claims in one section that he basically resells other people's products, and then in another he claims to make everything himself.

I'd laugh if it wasn't just so * sad...

12. Star Wars Man

Star Wars Man Well-Known Member

well not about trust, but 1700, u get a blaster, pauldron, speaker, fan, and snap system, body suit, boots, glove, and neck ring.

i would rather do it all myself, idk, i just dont like when other pepople do things for mme.

13. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Sr Member

I'd sell my suit with all that for $1200.

14. altername

altername Well-Known Member

15. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I gotta tell you, and disrespect intended, you can buy the same inaccurate Fx suit with the huge bobble-head helmet for 500.00 unbuilt. I could have built it (like so many others on the RPF) to the same standards as this guy for 200.00...and that would have included shipping it back to you fully built. Yes, I feel like you got taken. But, with that being said, if you have the money and you're comfortable and happy with your purchase, don't give it a second thought and enjoy it. :)

16. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

$1,800?. :confused

I remember when CJ sold the suits for around $550 on e-bay...

17. Star Wars Man

Star Wars Man Well-Known Member

well this guy sells his for 500 more and people buy it. if i was that guy, i would keep doin it.

18. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

The only thing you can do to combat people like him is to spread the word, such as we are doing in this thread, and hope that people do research before purchasing. Its a shame that some people are not honest but what can you do?

19. Mega Gigan

Well, it looks like I screwed myself over. Ugh... Hopefully this will be a better experience then I can hope for but it's doubtful. I'll let you guys know.

20. rigormortis

Please don't beat yourself up about it. We've all gotten ripped before. Hopefully another member here will learn from this thread and not vastly overpay for a prop.

In the end, you'll finally have that suit of sunblock you've always wanted since you first saw them on screen. And it always could have been worse...

21. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

That's right. let's hope for the best here.... hopefully it will work out fine for you.

22. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

I got 2 suits for $400 each back when GT was still selling...still have the armor,but sold the helmets for AP ones. Unreal how much even the GT/AFX has gone up :eek GT was a GREAT guy and a superb dealer back in the day. Sad to see that site go away :unsure

Steve

23. Mega Gigan

Well I'll keep you guys updated. If things turn out really bad, I have a friend that owns www.princessleia.com And I'll make a blog and ask her to put it up there. Thus proving, always ask RPF before making a big * purchase.

Thanks guys for being supportive, even if the person is a doof. Thankfully I live in the US and he'll waive the shipping... at least I got that going for me and not the big old shipment payment from tokyo.

24. tgreco

tgreco Sr Member

[sarcasm]you're saying 95% of troopers don't wear this armor... egads[/sarcasm]

sorry but, when spending 2k, I'd never buy it site unseen... at the very lease, I'd research the hell out of it before spending it

I mean even if I didn't know about this place, how hard could it be to go to the 501st website and ask them who makes what, and who does it well...

25. Mega Gigan

Wait, wait. I just thought of something, I haven't paied him yet. I was waiting until the money was transferred into the bank account. I can STILL get out of this with my money (maybe one bad feedback) but that's it. Should I do it?

26. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

If I'm not mistaken,didn't he ...cough... "copy" his ???? ;)

27. Jawafive

Jawafive Sr Member

if you haven't paid for that, I wouldn't. I would rather take one negative feedback over losing over 1K any day of the week-especially when the guy is less than reputable like costumejunkie. Good luck.

-M

28. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

After reading everything that everyone here has said, tell me what you think is the best thing to do? :angel

29. Mega Gigan

Thank you guys so FRUCKING much. I'll just take a hit at the ol' ebay account. Thanks guys... now can anyone guide me to a GOOD stormtrooper suit?

30. Jawafive

Jawafive Sr Member

What size are you? I think, from what I've seen, that the one you had bid on is the most generic, adaptable of the suits out there. I have had one however, and was not too impressed with it. It's good for trooping, but I did not enjoy it when I wore it. If I had to go with a trooper suit I'd get one of the ones made from the movie suits-if at all possible.

-M

31. Mega Gigan

I'm a pretty big guy. I'm 6'0" and I weigh... a lot. Let's just say I'm pretty husky. I wanted to be a Scouttrooper but one, I think I'm for too fat for it and two I would hate how it would show off my legs and stuff.

32. Jawafive

Jawafive Sr Member

I was a little husky when I had my trooper armor, and didn't really get into it too much. I took measures to correct it though, lost 40 pounds in the past 5 months with a moderate diet and exercise. Spend some money doing that, and then buy a trooper, you'll feel a lot better bro.

-Matt

33. Mega Gigan

Yeah, I'm trying to lose weight now (still dropping.) So this will be a great incentive to get me even skinnier. So trooper armor? Anyone?

34. rigormortis

I hate to say it, but take the eBay hit and save yourself a grand. I'd be more than happy to get you in touch with an armorer who won't rip you off.

Even SDS armor is cheaper than that.

35. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Sr Member

Mega, I'd sell you mine...Its only been worn twice. My only concern would be height. I'm 5'8 and the leg armor has been trimmed height wise. Nothing has been trimmed girth wise and I have pretty big legs, so the stints are already in there.

36. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

I'm gonna be brutal here.

If you're a fat guy. Don't be a Stormtrooper, there are enough fat troopers out there already. Along with a bevy of Boba Fatts.

Do a scout or a jedi, the costumes are more forgiving.

Just being honest.

37. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Gee, Mike - is this about your issues with obesity or about one of our own feeling good about purchasing his first stormtrooper armor? Trust me - you're not telling him anything he already doesn't know, and I doubt he posted here to read your "intervention." :rolleyes

What's *YOUR* BMI, for that matter?

Un-frakkin-believable. :thumbsdown

- Gabe

38. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

So it's okay to save guy the money but not embarassment.

He seem to be looking for honest opinions, I gave him one.

39. LZeitgeist

LZeitgeist Well-Known Member

Honestly, I can't argue with him in this instance. I've apparently seen enough 200-lb. Slave Leias that I'm inclined to agree - one must costume to body type, or run the risk of public ridicule/embarassment. It sucks for the rabid fan, but is a fact of life.

Don't costume to be Wedge when you're really better suited to be Porkins. Don't costume to be Leia when you're better suited to be Oola. Don't costume to be Chewbacca when you're better suited to be a Jawa.

40. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Although I don't recall Mega Gigan ever soliciting "honest opinions" about his weight, one could say he opened the door to such "advice" by referring to himself as "too fat." It's nice that you want to save him some embarrassment, if that really is your motive. But the way you're going about it seems "brutal" (your word), and likely to produce the very effect that you claim you are trying to spare him. 2 cents

41. Studio Stasis

Studio Stasis Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If I were you I would get a kit of Armor FX for $500, or I'd get a kit of AP ABS80 armor (movie sized) for $850, or you can splurge like you were going to and buy my TE suit which is going to be sold to fund my 3CCD digital camera purchase. :D

I am going to sell my TE at some point but given the rarity of them at the moment, I dont think it would go cheap. Those other options would be awesome for you though, and you'd save so much dough. What do you think?
    Bottom line is dont buy from the jerk on ebay. I haven't been scammed, thank god, because of the great guys on this board. They look out for eachother.

An Armor FX suit would fit you best i'm sure, but for the sake of all that is holy, please opt for a more accurate helmet. Maybe the Authentic Props or Meatsock helmet if you are going to go the FX route. Why does the helmet matter so much? The helmet is the core of the personality of the character. I really think a more accurate helmet makes all the difference in the world.

Josh

42. Mega Gigan

Well, I know that people do look horrid as troopers when they are overweight. Yes, I would be right to say, I'm a little overweight, but I know this suit will motivate me to shed some of it. Have I lost it yet? No, but I'm getting there. What's wrong with a incentive.

Frankly, I don't care if you guys give me your honest thoughts about it. I mean you saved me from throwing away almost 2k, I'm freeling pretty trusting of the RPF now. What I am thinking about doing is going for the Scout Trooper only because I do know where to get that and I would be more then happy to dish out the cash from my TRUSTED source (I've been refered to him MANY times for a Scout Trooper costume)

So let's check things off.

Not getting the crappy ebay armor
    taking a hit on the ebay account
    Mega Gigan is FAT. :lol
    He's workin on it.
    Any leads to good armor is helpful (of any kind)

43. temponaut

Sounds as if you already have a trusted source for your armor, but here's a lead in any case: Kropserkel.

Kropserkel Scout Trooper

The gentleman behind Kropserkel is a longtime fellow RPFer. He's not only skilled, but very communicative. I'm sure he would be happy to discuss your armor needs with you. I don't have first-hand experience with his Scout rig, but do have a helmet on order. I also have one of his fiberglass Hannibal Lecter Restraint Muzzles, and it's terrific. :)

44. Darth Domain

Darth Domain Well-Known Member

Hi mate, have you cancelled your order yet and if so has he left you neg feedback?

45. Mega Gigan

He hasn't left me negitive feedback yet. I sent him this e-mail today...

"Hey there Costumejunkie. Listen. I just got wind of your past dealings with people and this Storm Trooper armor... I'm not liking what I'm hearing. So let's see if we can't work this out.

Option one: We both bow our heads and duck out of this. No feedback on each other, no transaction. No NOTHING.

Option two: You can just give me the bad feedback and be on your way. Because I spoke to the Replica Prop Forum and I also found http://www.dannychoo.com/blog_entry/eng/198/COSTUMEJUNKIE/ and I don't like it one bit.

Think about it... do you want more negitive feedback? (I'm WAY more then willing to take a hit) or should we just call it a day and you can find someone else to buy the armor?"

46. temponaut

The problem is, you're not reasonably in a position to leave this guy negative feedback. He hasn't done anything to you (yet). I'm not defending him and I don't like what he did to some of his buyers in the past. On the other hand, he seems to have his share of positive feedback, too. My point is, you entered into a legal contract with him when you bid on and won his auction. When you back out now, he becomes the "injured" party, not you. To be blunt, you should have checked with the RPF before you bid. On what grounds would you leave him a neg at this point? "I heard bad things about you"?

I hope he'll accept your suggestion of bowing out gracefully, no harm, no foul. But if he leaves you a neg and you reciprocate, you'll be leaving yours out of spite.

If he does leave you a neg, take the hit, leave him a neutral, and do your research in advance next time.

47. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

Notice once again, he's claiming that his products are original, when you can clearly see on his site that he's just buying other people's merchandise, marking it up, and reselling it for a huge profit. It might be profitable, but at least be honest about what you do or do not create with your own hands. I wonder if his suppliers realize that he claims their work as his own?

48. Mega Gigan

Oh I fully understand that. I never claimed that I was in the right. I know either way Im probably going to take a hit on the ebay account. I EXCEPT that. I know it was foolish of me.

Now, let's move on from me being super ratarded. :)

49. temponaut

I just thought it might have been wiser to take a less aggressive stance with him, especially since in this case you are technically in the wrong. Reneging on your contract and then threatening him with negative feedback is the old "insult to injury." You might have had a better chance of getting what you want with a softer approach, at least for the initial contact.

I'll be interested to hear how he responds. My fingers are crossed for ya. :)

50. Mega Gigan

It most likely came off harder then I meant it. I mean I'll say it upfront, yes I was wrong. That's the case in point. But I'm a richer and wiser wrong person. I'll let you guys know how everything works out though.