HP3 Marauders Map

Thanks Monsters! I'd no idea there were as many changes as this! Parts of the left-hand HP5 artwork showed on the map I saw but it also had the compass rose leaves. I confoosed.

Re the linework, I meant that specifically, the compass rose pages seem more finely printed than the rest of the prop map. It could just be that they are more heavily faded, not sure.

I see the Malfoy-disappearance version not only has the RoR foldout removed but the art itself has been altered overall - the Hall of Hexes has been 'cleared out' and the large corridor perpendicular to it is also de-detailed. I need to freeze frame my BR copy and get a better idea of what's what.

What lies at the bottom of the page and further to the left where the RoR was looks completely different, no? The very bottom left is the I think the Turris Magnus art from the original version, messed about a bit?

Last edited:
Thanks Monsters! I'd no idea there were as many changes as this! Parts of the left-hand HP5 artwork showed on the map I saw but it also had the compass rose leaves. I confoosed.

Re the linework, I meant that specifically, the compass rose pages seem more finely printed than the rest of the prop map. It could just be that they are more heavily faded, not sure.

Yes, definetely.
Even the borders on this new section, is all hand-made.
different from the first sections designed for the first/original map, where they were duplicated on the computer.(at least for the final art)
348j0py.jpg

I see the Malfoy-disappearance version not only has the RoR foldout removed but the art itself has been altered overall - the Hall of Hexes has been 'cleared out' and the large corridor perpendicular to it is also de-detailed. I need to freeze frame my BR copy and get a better idea of what's what.

What lies at the bottom of the page and further to the left where the RoR was looks completely different, no? The very bottom left is the I think the Turris Magnus art from the original version, messed about a bit?

Yes, it has many, many modifications to it.
You can get a wider view of it, on deatlhy hallows 2.
2je002.jpg

Yes, initially they just took some 'places' from other sections of the map and mixed it there to make it different.
I'm glad they had to change it, I really like the compass rose section design.

Last edited:
Ah, so it was the DH version I saw, then. Nice job getting that pic! Thanks for that and the screencap; I like the compass rose section too, it stands out and gives a bit of colour - you can't tell how red it really is in the screencap. Did you notice that on the display map too, or was it folded differently?

No problem.
Yeah, not really, on all the movies it appears, it loks darker than it actually is.

I've been mixing some inks to get the right color.
I think I'm pretty close to get it right.

Need to get back on the paper ageing now...
I tried with two different brands of coffee, and it gets pretty much the same tone as the walnut crystals, one of them got even a more brown tone to it. and besides, there's also the smell, which I don't like hehe.

So I'm still going to try the walnut ink, now mixed with ink to see how close I can get.

I'm trying to get everything right from the start, because I'll try make my map, completely hand-drawn, borders and all...

After that I'll just wait for the pictures you requested from the studio tour, to might get more clear/ sharpen shoots.

Did you notice that on the display map too, or was it folded differently?
Not sure what you meant ...

Last edited:
The smell does wear off in time - I find not more than a few weeks usually.

Your left-hand closeup on post #380 is a pretty good match for the paper's colour. I'm puzzled too about the coffee information; I almost always find it gives a brown tone. At the time I wondered whether the paper might have been baked, but that usually makes it more fragile (or am I doing it wrong? :lol) and this can't be a fragile prop.

Wow, that'll be a heck of a project. How's your calligraphy? I'd LOVE to try the same thing but my calligraphy skills have twenty years of rust on them. :lol I'm nowhere near where I'd need to be to get a satisfactory result. Mine'll have to be a digital mashup.

Oh, thanks for letting me know. I'll use it as a reference for the paper colour.

I don't think they baked that either, in fact, they gave an interview where they mentioned they had a long table to age it with coffee.
But I'm pretty sure they have another ingredient mixed with that.
otherwise it would not get that colour.

I once thought, they could have printed it out already with some background texture/colour. then when they aged it with coffe, it could get to that colour

But then I saw this picture from their office, where you can see a not yet aged piece of the map, it does looks cream but I don't think it was printed, just the paper colour, and that's too light to explain the high yellowish tone.
2nl4hs7.jpg

So really, I'll have to figure a better techinique/mixture to age it.

I took some pics of a few of my drawing practicing (need some improving to it), let me know what you think, also for the ink colour.
I smeard it, so you can see how it varies from dark to light
My camera isnt quite nice.btw
e0h6zc.jpg

21o3h51.jpg

16c3y94.jpg

160u9lj.jpg

this last one, just checking how fine I could ink with my new dip.

It definetly will take a while to finish.
But this is a project I really, really want to get done.
Besides being an amazing piece of art work.
It is an important prop on the movies/books. And also has some special meaning, considering the characters who made it;

I'm actually quite concerned about making the borders, since the writing next to it, was done with a font, it's quite difficult to make it like the actual one.
Also the small hogwarts on the middle of the map. will be quite a challenge.

Last edited:
Yes, the whole thing will be a challenge I should think...very timeconsuming too. You clearly have the skills though. Those samples are very nice indeed!

Your yellowing is about the right colour but too dark or rich a shade. Tone? Whatever; I don't know the right terms. Same colour but a few notches lighter is what you want. Have you tried tea? Most teas will give a lighter aging effect than coffee.

Well spotted, on the group pic - I'd never have noticed that. The Room of Doom section from the middle of the map, ha, brilliant.

Why not do your borders with a font too? If it's good enough for Mina et al... :)

Incidentally the border itself is a bit irregular from panel to panel. The rectangles differ in size and number per panel, something to keep in mind.

Hello

Came across this image of the Marauders Map recently (from the HP Tour I think) and thought it would be of interest to you. It may just be for display purposes at the HP Tour and was not used in the actual prop but it is kind of interesting none the less to have a 3D section of stairs in the map!

bfd

The 3D stairs certainly existed in the piece done for the HP3 credits sequence, unless that was fully CG. It looked analogue, though, and it 'works', so there's no reason it can't be real. Lovely touch isn't it? Thank you for the photo!

Gotta carry on with my annotations but've had no enthusiasm this week, sorry. Will get back to it...

The 3D stairs certainly existed in the piece done for the HP3 credits sequence, unless that was fully CG. It looked analogue, though, and it 'works', so there's no reason it can't be real. Lovely touch isn't it? Thank you for the photo!

Gotta carry on with my annotations but've had no enthusiasm this week, sorry. Will get back to it...

No rush, take your time, enjoy your week end :) rest up

I have a Marauder's map prop trading card that features a small piece of the actual prop, and it looks to me like the color, compared to the noble collection map, is slightly darker, and slightly warmer ( a tiny hint of reddishness with yellow). It's a much richer looking color than the noble map. The noble map looks more "pale" in comparison and not very lively as it's just a flat print. The aging they applied to the prop is very subtle and complex in depth, so naturally it looks so much more alive. I've had a handful of variants of this card. I've attached one that i used to own, but it's hard to scan correctly. It looks a little more washed out in the scan.

The graphics have a slightly satin finish quality, exactly what you would see with color ink toner in copy machines or laser printers. I've actually looked at the text under a photographer's lupe 10x magnification and you can see the printing lines. Haha kind of crazy but this is truly one of the most iconic props from Harry Potter.

Last edited:
I recently started to scan parts of the noble collection map in an attempt to print a copy that looks a little more realistic. The noble prop isn't bad, but I wanted something that felt more like a prop. So I consider this basically a modified noble map.

I printed with laser toner/copy ink so the graphics have that satin finish like the film prop, and just aged the paper with acrylic washes, so I was able to get more control with the color. I matched the color on my prop card as best as I could. But it seems that the color/darkness varies on many of the maps. Didn't change the graphics much, but resized them to look closer to the one on display on the HP tour in england. I've only done the first spread and cover and will slowly do the rest. Very hard to photograph the color correctly...

Last edited:
ec, I just noticed your post in this thread and even though its a bit late, really nice job on the map!! Have you been able to complete it?

bfd

update

After 5 hours of edit I can upload a marko's file edit by me. I managed 6 section of the map to restore the correct join when you fold the map.
Now i ask you the inner part of the map I search in this thread but i don't find a correct spot to put the insert.

I don't modify the size of the map in this file, for me I make a A0 size ready for the plotter.
Next step aging that without break any peace.

Marauders_Map_by_sirciarly(marko's scan)150.jpg

if you have any advice i'm here thanks

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back