Howl's moving castle bedroom props-seeking advice

SerpentineSylph

Hi everyone, first: I absolutely adore the book and film adaptation of Howl's moving Castle and as I have come to realize, I have acquired enough various bits, bobs and oddities I could decorate a room like Howl's bedroom in the film is decorated. To this end, I was up all night arranging a crude stationary for an oath pinned to a dartboard seen in one scene. My issue is, there is a very distinct prop sitting beside the bed in howl's room, resembling a metronome several feet tall with a large eye on the end of the arm slowly moving back and forth. I really want to make this and have it as a tangible sculpture as i go to decorate this ghibli-inspired room, and m unsure how to go about it. I can make stationary or simple moving things all day long but am lost as to how I would get the metronome arm to move back and forth slowly and evenly, as I feel the weight of the eye ornament at the tip would be too much for a normal metronome mechanism to compensate for even if I made it as light as I could. Im thinking some sort of eccentric wheel setup? I would really like this prop to be made real and dont know who else better to ask than people here,if anyone has any idea about what could be done to replicate a metronome movement like that I would really be appreciative.

Howl-s-Moving-Castle-howls-moving-castle-4891652-852-480.jpeg

there's probably a 100 different ways to make it light weight.

the easiest would be to get a high res picture of the eye section and print it out on card stock then glue it to a light foam core board, exacto it out, spray gloss seal it, and glue it to the arm of the metronome.

that's the first thing that popped in my head.
:cool

there's probably a 100 different ways to make it light weight.

the easiest would be to get a high res picture of the eye section and print it out on card stock then glue it to a light foam core board, exacto it out, spray gloss seal it, and glue it to the arm of the metronome.

that's the first thing that popped in my head.

:cool

The eye looks like its some sort of "ojo de dios" charm with embellishments on the corners and a jewel? eye on top in the center. I could make it fairly lightweight but even still that much weight at the tip would make an actual metronome mechanism move at the wrong speed, I want a fairly slow rocking. My main goal is to find a gear system or some way of rigging up a mechanism for movement that would make that possible since I doubt there is anyone making a metronome that large and i dont have access to the tools to cut precise enough gears as what ive seen in most metronomes of smaller size.

So i was browsing around youtube and apparently people have been making simple "escapements" out of things from legos to cut up straws using an eccentric lever or wheel of some sort and a crude cam of a square frame somewhere on the pendulum that gets knocked back and forth. These have been gravity fed designs using falling weights and a hanging pendulum like a clock, but if I inverted it and used some small motor as a power source it should work, unless im missing my guess. My problem is I have no idea how best to take a motor that would be connected to a power supply and dial down the RPMs so the eccentric would turn at a relatively slow pace. So if someone could give me some ideas on that i'd be grateful but I think i have the idea for the actual movement down, I made a quick mock up for it. Also I got some metallic floss, foam and felt to begin work on the gods eye/ felted eyeball decoration at the tip of the metronome.

Metronome idea 1.png

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back