how to simulate or duplicate rivets?

Have you looked for acrylic cabochons (solid acrylic domes)? I don't know if they come that large but I think they'd work for you.

Wasn't familiar with that term, but just looked them up. Those should work great. And they do come fairly large. Now just gotta find somewhere local that carries them. Thanks for the help

Most modern fighter aircraft have rivets that are flush with the surface of the aircraft.
Perhaps that will change with the already proven dimple theory in aerodynamics.

Nothing beats using something looking like a rivet, for a rivet...but some persons, such as myself, don't have the patience, and a riveting tool is the answer.

But for those that do have the patience, the effect is incredible....as Don Jarr's model ship proves.

TazMan2000

Those might work for the originator of this thread, before I hijacked it. But seeing as the last post before mine was in '08, I figure it was fair game. I'm looking to simulate 1/2" and 1/4" rivets, actual size. I've got a test drying with the google eyes to look at later and still trying to find the cabochons to test them. One limitation, I will eventually need hundreds, so obviously price is a factor.

for 1/2" and 1/4" I've heard that using elmers glue inside a stencil would work or (just applying it and letting it settle).

the size is a little large for elmers - so the model has to be perfectly level so that you get a circle when it dries.

I know elmers works for those little tiny rivets, like on airwolf models.

again - hand application - but elmers glue is cheap.

I'm looking to simulate 1/2" and 1/4" rivets, actual size. I've got a test drying with the google eyes to look at later and still trying to find the cabochons to test them. One limitation, I will eventually need hundreds, so obviously price is a factor.

Ah, then here's (hopefully) your answer - TAP-CAPS® Screw Covers

Screw head covers. I've used these before, they come in a variety of sizes are cheap and lightweight. I just put a pilot hole in and hot glued them on.

yeh, the glue would work great for the small ones, but not sure about these. Plus, I'm not sure how well it would take paint. My last resort will be silicone molding actual rivet heads and casting them in resin or Durhams Rock Hard Putty. But again, the volume needed would make that time consuming.

I recently worked on a movie prop where I needed 1/4in. or so rivets/nail heads. I used self adhesive "dots" from the scrapbooking section of the craft store. They painted up nicely.

I have also seen people use googely eyes (but they might make sound when shaken), dry split peas, and even those candy "dots" that come on the long strip of paper. Those would be super cheap, but might not be suitable for all applications.

-Marx

I used to build 1/5th scale RC model aircraft and the easiest and quickest way of doing lots of rivets for me was to get a large syringe and fill with white PVA wood glue. Sqeeze tiny dots of glue carefully on to a straight line and then let dry. If you make a mistake, you just wipe off and start again. They dry clear but when painted they look just like rivets. Also you can sand them down a bit if you want a different type of rivet.
Just for info, but I managed to fully rivet a 1/4 scale aircraft of 15000 rivets in less than 3 hours.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back