How to plastic coat foam costume pieces

Is "plastazote" basically the same as the EVA closed cell foam that's used in the floor mats most people use?

product1_22358.jpg

That kind of foam is way to thick

That kind of foam is way to thick

It's only 12mm.... I am using the same stuff. Mine came from harbor freight, can't beat 8.99 for a pack of four lol.

Remember, just because the manufacture says something is 1/2" thick..... it NEVER is. Case-in-point; a 2x4 is not actually 2"x4" or an 36"x72" fence panel is never 72". That's why I bought it. I knew it wasn't 1/2" thick.

It's only 12mm.... I am using the same stuff. Mine came from harbor freight, can't beat 8.99 for a pack of four lol.

Remember, just because the manufacture says something is 1/2" thick..... it NEVER is. Case-in-point; a 2x4 is not actually 2"x4" or an 36"x72" fence panel is never 72". That's why I bought it. I knew it wasn't 1/2" thick.

Yeah that's what I'm using, and that thickness is what a lot of the Iron Man builders are using to make their suits.

In other news, I got my 65D and am looking forward to start laying down coats on a pair of Darth Malgus bracers.

Not trying to sound mean or rude but,
12mm is half a freakin inch.. if you use that foam you're gonna have a bad time. Detail is very difficult with that kind of foam.
It really is that thick, I wasted my money on a set of 4 of those and I got frustrated after using the first one. The rest is just sitting under my bed.

I use 29 sq ft athletic gym flooring that's about 1/4" thick. It's the perfect thickness.

Look at the comparison (oh an the otherside is flat..Lol)
FM99v.jpg

2 rolls is enough for an entire suit at only $20 each
6tTL0.jpg

Last edited:
Not trying to sound mean or rude but,
12mm is half a freakin inch.. if you use that foam you're gonna have a bad time. Detail is very difficult with that kind of foam. It really is that thick, ....

...I use 29 sq ft athletic gym flooring that's about 1/4" thick. It's the perfect thickness.
2 rolls is enough for an entire suit at only $20 each

...that's not being rude...that's being INFORMATIVE!

I gotta find me some of those...

And in other news...

So, I'm just about ready to try and use this process on a pair of forearm bracers and I'm coming up with a conundrum. How do you recommend I do it?

Unlike the demo XRobots uses in his video, I can't really figure out a way to let it "sit". I'm coating a cylinder.

Thoughts?

My God! This is so much for me to handle! I'm still working on my first build and then this superb technique from XRobots makes me want to start my second suit T_T

Big thanks to Stealth for inspiring me with his HeroTutorials and Darkside for the MkVii files. And to everyone who helped me along the way... Thank you all!

I hope to be able to contribute something to this community in the future.. Keep on rocking guys!

thnx alot, great idea... i was about to start the plasti-dip layer on my warmachine.... just ordered the 65d and going to go buy the pva

I am about to start my build to try and get it done before Comic Con in July. This thread is giving me hope.

Quick question docholiday78. On your first helmet, what thickness of foam did you use? I noticed you indicated that you are now using foamies for your Mk VII helmet. Which one do you prefer? I have some 8mm EVA foam at home, and I'm wondering if I should purchase a thinner foam.

I am about to start my build to try and get it done before Comic Con in July. This thread is giving me hope.

Quick question docholiday78. On your first helmet, what thickness of foam did you use? I noticed you indicated that you are now using foamies for your Mk VII helmet. Which one do you prefer? I have some 8mm EVA foam at home, and I'm wondering if I should purchase a thinner foam.

Well I'm using 3mm eva foam (foamies) on my mark VII armor. I would use the 1/2 inch floormats, I didnt like having to buy blades all the time cuz they would get dull so fast, didnt like having to use heat gun for shaping and i didn't like the bulky look. So I personally prefer 3mm foam cuz i just use one pair of scissors and once parts are glued it holds it's shape pretty well. But to each his own, good luck on your build

Mushroom hunter, you should be able to finish your build by July, I built an entire War Machine and 3 quarters of Iron Man in 2 weeks in a rush effort to get them ready for my birthday night out. Here's how they turned out:

562546_10150858846648553_491982606_n.jpg

487176_10150860330388553_1009072367_n.jpg

The time scale is something I'm very proud of considering how they turned out. Sadly they took a real beating on the night out and are in desperate need of repairs. Ill be re-coating them in PVA glue then plastic coating them using xrobots method. Then obviously a respray. I also have a full time job and an active social life. If I'd had more time I would have done the plastic coating and it probably would have only added half a weekon to the overall time. Hope this inspires people to get cracking. (Think I'm gonna copy and paste most of this post over on stealths page, with a link to here).

I would also like to say that I used interlocking floor mats on war machines chest, back, biseps and forearms, and it is an absolute nightmare to work with. Its way to thick and way to rigid. I used cheap ebay camping mats for most of iron man and it is WAAAYY to flimsy. Use good quality camping mats, around 6-10mm and you should be fine.

Wow 7sinzz, those are impressive for only a couple of weeks of work. Have you done any projects before? Gives me hope that I can have my done for Halloween, even being a complete noob.

I've always had a passing interest in crafts but those were my first attempts at foam modelling. If you were to build 1 piece per day you should have it done in less than 20 days. Then allocate a day for the pva sealing. Then (probably:) a day for plastic coating, then a day for spraying.

Has anyone tried sg2000 yet? Still waiting to hear if it's any good.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back