How to make hobby foam rigid?

Aerethan

What products if any do you guys use to make your hobby foam rigid? I have some armor projects that would be easiest to do in foam, but I'd like to hard coat them so that they stand up a bit stronger, specifically making things like scale armor where foam is a fast method of production.

Ive been researching this same topic recently and have come across a really great product here! It takes about 3-5 layers depending on how hard/thick you want the shell. But this is sandable and tintable. Really fantastic through and through.

Not sure how I completely spaced out on that section of Smooth On. I do find it funny that they market it as being for EPS(Expanded PolyStyrene) but their examples show it being applied to XPS(Extruded PolyStyrene) which is infinitely easier to work with, if harder to find and more expensive.

I'd imagine this would work on hobby foam as well. My Death Knight shoulders would be much easier to bulk out in XPS than with hobby foam or other products. Very interesting.

I recently talked to a smooth on rep about the product because i work mostly with L200 (minicel) foams and they said it will work on just about any foam. It is a very versatile product. And best of all, it is self leveling!

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. I would love to see your death knight; even if it is a WIP post. I made some Tier 12 Warrior armor recently. Plus i am just a huge Blizz fan-boy.

I'm planning on doing the blue T10 armor. Most of it seems easy enough with warbla and epoxy sculpt, but things like the scales will need to be foam, and the shoulders are obviously the hardest part as they need to be big but light and very sturdy, so that may require a fiberglass gel coat or just use epoxy sculpt for the details. The scales are what I'm trying to cut down the most work on right now before starting any fabrication. Got some good inspiration on techniques for certain effects.

Ive been researching this same topic recently and have come across a really great product here! It takes about 3-5 layers depending on how hard/thick you want the shell. But this is sandable and tintable. Really fantastic through and through.

Ooh, that looks really promising!

Be aware, everyone, the tech sheet says it creates an exothermic reaction, the heat from which would soften craft foams and probably ruin the shape. Maybe support it so it can't deform before applying this stuff.

Ooh, that looks really promising!

Be aware, everyone, the tech sheet says it creates an exothermic reaction, the heat from which would soften craft foams and probably ruin the shape. Maybe support it so it can't deform before applying this stuff.

Yes it does create an exothermic reaction but the product is applied is thin layers so it shouldn't have a drastic effect on the foam. At least it hasnt in my experiences.

Yes it does create an exothermic reaction but the product is applied is thin layers so it shouldn't have a drastic effect on the foam. At least it hasnt in my experiences.

Oh good! What thickness of foam have you been using? Have you tried it on thin foam, like 2mm?

I had, and many others have had, good success with covering foam with Worbla or other such thermoplastics to create good, solid, but light weight armour. I used this method for my Jaffa armour. Bit expensive but great effect.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back