How to make a spiderman costume?

spideyfan

Hi,
I am going to make a spiderman costume for halloween 2012. I am going to make the pattern on my own and the pattern will be based on the movie spiderman 1-3. I want to make it accurate to the details used in the movie for the suit. The problem i am facing is that if i make the mask seperate along with gloves and the boots, how do i wear or remove the costume. This will help me to make my entire pattern and the how do i make the pattern of my size.

Regards

Maybe you should look for spandex suits already made, with zippers and all; you could take a black zentai one and then put your patterns on it. :)

Everything you ever wanted to know (And more) about making a form-fitting spandex suit for yourself, including how to size and draft the pattern, can be found here:

Somewhat Stretchy : Catsuit patterns and more

As for zippers, the movie suit had them running from each armpit, then curving under the rear "belt," meeting in the middle. Many costumers will save themselves the trouble of that complicated sewing job, by putting the zipper across the shoulders, right where the red and blue meet on his back. Finally, some will just go the easiest possible way and put it straight down his back.

If you're looking to make something more quickly, and don't feel like bothering with learning the intricacies of pattern-making, I would buy two Zentai suits (Red and Blue) and just cut the proper shapes from each color and sew them back together.

Good luck!

-Nick

I want to make an exact replica..so time is not a problem for me.....i will make a proper one like yuri did....nick u said for the zippers in the movie he had it running from each armpit and meeting in the centre so the back spider also has a zipper in it? or it just meets the centre..a picture would help me to understand better...

regards

think of it this way, picture a line running down your armpits, down your sides, and meeting at the small of your back like a "U" pattern. the bottom of the 'u' is the 'belt' , the sides of the 'u' are the sides of your body ending at your armpits.

What RichyRich said. I could get into all the technical reasons behind why the zipper went there, but suffice it to say that in order for the zipper to remain unseen, this is largely the best place for it.

A note: Don't use a standard zipper, what you want is known as a "hidden zipper" which basically just gets sewn in such a way that the fabric meets over the zipper.

Have a good search around here and on the SuperHeroHype, there are literally THOUSANDS of pages of information on making the perfect spidey suit (Search that phrase on SuperHeroHype) just start reading. To do this properly will take you years. So grab a nice cold drink and start reading now.

Best of luck to you.

-Nick

Thats why I wanted to know if yuri is still his kits. But no problem, I will research as much as possible. Nick just last question which fabric is to be used exactly to make the perfect replica?

Regards

4-way stretch lycra.

It's just the generic name for Spandex that stretches both long ways and short ways, instead of just long ways.

The specific type used in the movies is what's known as "Milliskin."

Asking any reputable fabric shop for "Four-way Stretch Lycra Milliskin" should do the trick.

-Nick

Hi there I'm new to the forums and had a quick question hope to get some advice :) I'm purchasing a spider man costume from eBay (Fantastic!!! Lycra/Spandex Spiderman Hero Zentai Costume S-XXL | eBay) cause ill be honest I don't even know where to begin on getting a decent spidey costume. But my question is how can I do boots/shoes for this thing because I don't wanna be walking around in basically just socks all day, any help would be greatly appreciated

When I made my Spidey costume for the opening of the first Raimie film, I did it as a one-piece, with the seam across the shoulders, as TheNickFox said. Problem was, I could get it on by myself up to the elbows, and then needed someone to help me from there! Don't forget to put in a fly!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back