How to harness a Captain America Shield for wearing on your back?

Dokworm

I have just about finished my shield, a huge thanks to Valor for the templates, and everyone that has helped me along the way.

I really want to wear it on my back though, and am having trouble working out a reasonable way to do it. It doesn't need to be quick release, I will be wearing it all day at a Con, so would prefer it to be stable and not too uncomfortable.
If anyone has any pointers, I would really appreciate it. The con is in 3 days, so I won't be able to order anything online, but am willing to have a go at making just about anything, I have plenty of tools and a 3D printer and lots of Aluminium leftovers...

I know in one thread someone used a chicago screw threw the leather strap and then slid that through the groove on the metal harness.

I'm thinking for a temporary, comfortable solution for a con, if you don't plan on taking it off much; get some brown elastic in a 1" thickness (or thicker) from a local craft or fabric store and make loops that are small enough to hide behind the shield if you are holding it in your hand, but large enough to slip over your shoulders like a harness or backpack. If you have the shield brackets from valor, then you can "string" the elastic through where the leather straps go on each side and viola you have a sturdy solution for keeping it on your back at a con, that can still come off fairly easy for photos and such.

elastic like this
http://www.michaels.com/knit-elastic-brown-1in/10268421.html

Last edited:
I found some elastic in my sewing bag, and I just tried it out.
It works like a champion, it is comfortable and the shield rides at just the right height.
It will definitely get me through the con, and I can work out a more 'professional' system down the track.
Thanks again!

I found some elastic in my sewing bag, and I just tried it out.
It works like a champion, it is comfortable and the shield rides at just the right height.
It will definitely get me through the con, and I can work out a more 'professional' system down the track.
Thanks again!

Can you post some pics of the back of the shield? I kinda want to try this method until I attempt the magnet thing.

I think it depends a lot on your shield. Mine is a 27" aluminum one that weighs quite a lot. I know elastic wouldn't hold it, and even if I was able to rig something up for wearing on the back, it would be a lot of strain on the harness. I'm guessing that when he's got it on his back in the movie, they switch from a metal one to a fiberglass to reduce the weight.

I think it depends a lot on your shield. Mine is a 27" aluminum one that weighs quite a lot. I know elastic wouldn't hold it, and even if I was able to rig something up for wearing on the back, it would be a lot of strain on the harness. I'm guessing that when he's got it on his back in the movie, they switch from a metal one to a fiberglass to reduce the weight.

Mine is 24 inch aluminium and weighs a ton, the elastic holds it no problem.

I'll post a pic, but basically just put an elastic loop exactly where each of the two the belt loops would be for a 'normal' shield. i.e. put the elastic where the leather hand-holds would go. When unstretched, the elastic loop isn't much bigger than the leather loops, and it is surprising how snug and secure it is. I was worried it would feel 'tight' but it is really comfortable.

Okay, this was just a test, I threaded the elastic under the leather straps, and just tied a knot in the elastic to see if it would work.
It worked perfectly, so now I just need to attach it a little better. The great thing is it keeps the same orientation of the shield, so the star is the right way up on my back.
Thanks again GM, it really saved the day.
straps - 3.jpgstraps - 2.jpgstraps - 1.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back