How to distress Joker clothes

Indy Magnoli

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I finally had a full set of my Joker gear made to photograph together and thought I'd show a few things about distressing these clothes. So, here is the full outfit in new condition:

joker-aging-not-aged-FULL.jpg

joker-aging-not-aged.jpg

The main pieces I wanted to age were the coat, shirt and tie. The pants could use a little dusting, but the jacket and vest don't really need much done to them (and, in my opinion, are the two pieces of this costume that can easily be worn with "normal" clothes so it'd almost be a waste to distress them).

The first step in distressing the coat is black shoe polish.

joker-aging1.jpg

Rub this into various points, especially around the edges and seams.

joker-aging2.jpg

joker-aging3.jpg

Once you get a good amount of black on all those areas, put some baby powder a flat surface and then rub the coat into the pile of powder to get the dusty look.

joker-aging4.jpg

For the shirt, the simplest thing is to do a misting of royal blue spray paint do darken it and then wear it while you're doing your Joker make-up to get the collar a bit grungy.

Similarly, I misted the tie with the same royal blue spray paint then rubbed it into the same baby powder pile as the coat. This gives the brown/yellow tie a slight greenish tinge and dulls the shine of the silk to a dustier matte grey finish.

joker-aging-shirt-and-tie.jpg

The end result is this:

joker-aging-FINAL.jpg
joker-aging-FINAL-back.jpg

joker-aging-aged.jpg

This photo shows the contrast between the aged tie and the unaged thinner part of the tie behind:
joker-aging-FINAL-worn.jpg

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Last edited:
Wow Mag, I loe that set-up, always have and this is a nice little tutorial for those who are putting a set together. thanks for posting!

Indy rules ! I've been emailing back and forth with him the last couple weeks. what a class act. I ordered pants, braces, tie, gloves from him. He always responds to my emails quickly and is VERY patient when it comes to many questions. For those of you in the market to do a Joker costume, I don't care if you think it's "too expensive" WAIT til you have the money to buy his product. Look at the pics here and trust me....the customer service is worth ALOT more than the clothing.

C O O K # 45

Hey Indy, got my coat and vest and they are great! Only thing is I wanted a color somewhere between the twill and wool, but mine turned out brighter than both of them. I was wondering what I could do to the vest to get a closer match on the color.

I finally had a full set of my Joker gear made to photograph together and thought I'd show a few things about distressing these clothes. So, here is the full outfit in new condition:

joker-aging-not-aged-FULL.jpg

joker-aging-not-aged.jpg

The main pieces I wanted to age were the coat, shirt and tie. The pants could use a little dusting, but the jacket and vest don't really need much done to them (and, in my opinion, are the two pieces of this costume that can easily be worn with "normal" clothes so it'd almost be a waste to distress them).

The first step in distressing the coat is black shoe polish.

joker-aging1.jpg

Rub this into various points, especially around the edges and seams.

joker-aging2.jpg

joker-aging3.jpg

Once you get a good amount of black on all those areas, put some baby powder a flat surface and then rub the coat into the pile of powder to get the dusty look.

joker-aging4.jpg

For the shirt, the simplest thing is to do a misting of royal blue spray paint do darken it and then wear it while you're doing your Joker make-up to get the collar a bit grungy.

Similarly, I misted the tie with the same royal blue spray paint then rubbed it into the same baby powder pile as the coat. This gives the brown/yellow tie a slight greenish tinge and dulls the shine of the silk to a dustier matte grey finish.

joker-aging-shirt-and-tie.jpg

The end result is this:

joker-aging-FINAL.jpg
joker-aging-FINAL-back.jpg

joker-aging-aged.jpg

This photo shows the contrast between the aged tie and the unaged thinner part of the tie behind:
joker-aging-FINAL-worn.jpg

Kind regards,
Magnoli
What if I decided to wash it?

There are different levels of distressing you can do:

Shoe polish, paint and potassium permanganate distressing won't generally come out in a regular wash.

Coffee and tea staining can wash out, but sometimes does leave some residue.

Baby powder, bentonite and fuller's earth dustings are temporary and have to be reapplied even with wear, but will come out entirely (or almost entirely) in washes.

There are different levels of distressing you can do:

Shoe polish, paint and potassium permanganate distressing won't generally come out in a regular wash.

Coffee and tea staining can wash out, but sometimes does leave some residue.

Baby powder, bentonite and fuller's earth dustings are temporary and have to be reapplied even with wear, but will come out entirely (or almost entirely) in washes.
Alright thanks, good to know. Can't wait to buy this suit :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back