How the future generation’s entertainment will be too much for me (or Memes)

Timey Wimey

I’m sure this is once again: repetitive, contradictive, controlling and uneducated but hey…
Is there a crisis in what justifies entertainment?
Feel free to take this however you want.
I am very against and in-line with the critics mentality. People love it when people judge other peoples work. I feel the judgement gets too much appraisal considering the amount of effort that has gone into it. Words are changing to mean things they objectively shouldn’t. The internet is moving so fast, we’re adopting the past so quick what was once recent is now old. The new type of entertainment is people spontaneously talking about themselves without the research that once would be. We make statements on what’s wrong, by being wrong rather than having nuance. It’s all about being better at understanding more and disrespecting the past, all the while making the world revolve around nostalgia. If Aliens came to Earth they would never understand our entertainment (even if they were genetically identical to us) because amusement now requires such specific context I feel we’ve defeated joy’s very point.

My life revolves around story telling so I'd like to think there is such thing as an objective good and bad, especially considering I haven't had any opportunities to be judged yet. I'm aware that is wrong but...
My youth makes my social media presence (something I regret having) exposed to huge amounts of these things called memes. I never do enough of my own research but from memory, the term was coined by Richard Dawkins in "The Selfish Gene" to give a name to the idea of passing abilities. Things as important as language are Memes. The current use of the word meme is generally to be explain how what may have been created by one now belong to all. Please tell me how wrong I am (I'm hoping I'm wrong enough to get responses going). I really don't get how (possibly the most viewed) humor is all about Exclusion, minimal effort, dissing, ditching, judging and having a sense of righteousness. What did we do to evolve like this?
I'm really interested in how this may fit into how fast we're consuming and what we're consuming. Nowadays, rather than having your own interest that you enjoy people can rightly assume that you define yourself by the same interest of other's work. This speed and level of mass consumption makes me feel like soon the media I do like will imitate the media I don't and eventually people will be sick of the new equivalent of the Super-Hero fad immediately after it begins. Maybe that means we will have to be more original however.
I really feel like context to a joke ought to belong within the joke (of course with exceptions and the word context being used loosely). The word meme is definitely something that should have been recognized and it isn't necessarily being used wrong but in a way that could be detrimental to what is expected of a Human's personality and knowledge.

In the future when my grandkids will be immersed 24/7 in live virtual media that I can't even begin to comprehend, I will remain quiet, in the basement of my home, rewatching Star Trek TOS on hard media.
And my grandkids will pity me.

I've started calling this generation with their constant emersion in the cell phones, the Borg collective. I say it tongue in cheek, but I wonder if God forbid we have an emp or some other grid failure, how they will react. When disconected from the hive mind, how will they cope ;) I don't own a cell phone personally, and barring owning a business, don't see it in my future. I'm not a total Luddite, I built computers when they were in kit form. Love tech in general. It's just seeing people walking down the street, totally oblivious to anything happening around them. I just cringe when I see it. And trying to talk to someone while their typing away on those things, arggggg ! As the girl from Full House would say, How Wude ! I don't get it, but let me run, I've got to yell at some kids on my lawn, ;)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back