How do you start a scratchbuild?

steveo

Sr Member
I'm preparing to start my own scratch built model and was wondering how you guys/gals started? What kind of support do you use and how do you go about making the frame to support the whole model? Any info is greatly appreciated. I didn't know if there was a tutorial out there or not.

Steveo

Last edited:
Rel,Neil,Allen and a few others who are real masters of the craft can help you with that.It's allot of work my friend...kudos to you for taking a stab at it.

How to approach it depends a lot on the subject and the its size. I've used MDF, alloy, acrylic, and hardwoods. Build up and align bulkheads for larger subjects. Smaller stuff, you can usually get by with plumbing supplies. Richard has some tricks, maybe try PMing him some questions...

Custom design or known subject?

Custom design, maybe 2 feet in length. I thought about using metal plumbing or metal fasteners to create a stand for the thing, but then don't really know where to go after that. I've seen some that used wood, but I'd like to make it as light as possible.

Last edited:
Carving Renshape or even more ordinary lower-density urethane foam is a good way to go if it is a curved shape. You can also use balsa but it requires a lot of work to get rid of the grain and isn't really worth the pain. You can often pick up offcuts of urethane foam (big ones) from a signwriter's business, they will often have a dumpster full of the stuff. If you use the lower-density type you will need to fill the surface with resin or a lightweight putty.

If it is boxy, then just build it up from styrene sheet in whatever thickness is suitable. You can usually get small sheets from model shops at great expense, or 4'x8' sheets from plastics suppliers at low cost.

At this size range it shouldn't require a metal armature.

Planning a lot of planning.

Drawings or something to follow, then the work begins.
And keep in mind your going to make a lot of mistakes. But that's part of the process, and the fun as well as frustration.

I'm preparing to start my own scratch built model and was wondering how you guys/gals started? What kind of support do you use and how do you go about making the frame to support the whole model? Any info is greatly appreciated. I didn't know if there was a tutorial out there or not.

Steveo
This is the frame support for a miniature model I own (For big projects: steel pipes/wood...For smaller projects: pvc pipe/plastic) hope it helps give-U some ideas. Good Luck

Last edited:
For my Star Destroyer, I will be making a series of diamond shaped ribs from MDF. For the dimensions I've been spending a great deal of time scaling things to get the final size of the ship, then working backwards to figure out what size the frame needs to be to give me the final size.

I thought about using 1/16" aluminum since the weight would be the same as 1/4" MDF, but I think the MDF being thicker will give me more room to glue the acrylic to the frame.

The one thing I still need to sort out is how I plan on supporting the model. I'd like to leave the underside unobstructed since that's the first thing you see in the movie, but running a pipe straight into the bottom would be the simplest way to support it.

Planning a lot of planning.

Drawings or something to follow, then the work begins.
And keep in mind your going to make a lot of mistakes. But that's part of the process, and the fun as well as frustration.

Yes, what he said. For me getting the plan right is the priority. There are enough building mistakes with a perfect plan and if the plan sucks so will your project. Good luck!

I know it might seem obvious, but I just googled 'scratchbuild' and there are a few tutorials out there in the results. One from starship modeler, and one from culttvman seemed what you might be looking for. Any advice given here can't come close to what you'd learn by studying a build that's thoroughly explained. Here's part 4 of culttvman's showing how to use cross sections to shape something:

http://www.culttvman.com/scratchbuilding_part_4.html

I know it might seem obvious, but I just googled 'scratchbuild' and there are a few tutorials out there in the results. One from starship modeler, and one from culttvman seemed what you might be looking for. Any advice given here can't come close to what you'd learn by studying a build that's thoroughly explained. Here's part 4 of culttvman's showing how to use cross sections to shape something:

http://www.culttvman.com/scratchbuilding_part_4.html

Wow, that site is very informative. Thank you for the link.

There used to be a great styrene scratch building tutorial on lyzrdstomp.com, but it appears that the site is off-line. Too bad, it was a great tutorial for the beginner. Got me started...

Anyone have that info stored on thier PC?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back