Honey, I Shrunk the Kids mini ray

whoami11

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I haven't posted in a while because I haven't built anything. I blew out my knee so I've had time on my hands. This project is probably the first prop I ever wanted to build. As a kid, seeing Nick with his mini shrink ray made me think I could build one myself. This project is 100% kit bashed. No money was spent on this project. Everything was found around the house. I say that because this project is not true to form. It is a blend of the real and mini shrink ray. Feedback and tips are much appreciated!

It started with this picture I found online...
IMG_1825.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

With a couple of screen grabs and some artwork I found online, I was able to start building the base...
IMG_2060.JPGIMG_2056.JPGIMG_2061.JPGIMG_2062.JPG

Once the base was sturdy, I was able to start construction on the top; electronics and all.
IMG_2055.JPGIMG_2064.JPGIMG_2084.JPGIMG_2085.JPGIMG_2086.JPGIMG_2087.JPGIMG_2089.JPGIMG_2091.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

And the finished product...
IMG_2094.JPGIMG_2093.JPGIMG_2095.JPG
If anyone is curious about any of the parts, I used, let me know! I know where most of it came from!

-Ryan

That is pretty damn cool! The fact that you made it out of what you already had on hand is incredible.

i agree with funky jedi......making props with what you got take more thought and imagination!
awesome mini prop!
well done indeed!

Last edited:
"I blew out my knee, so I've had time on my hands" quote is very funny:D (maybe that's just me). Very good build/prop btw. Love it when someone recycle and re-use stuff !

Thanks guy! It means a lot coming from talented makers like you! I still have some work to do on it. Ultimately, I want to make the machine go up and down and rotate like the big machine. Plus a working laser and more greebles. BTW, this was built on a folding dinner tray (I just moved and my workbench and hobby stuff is still in boxes). Again, thanks for the encouragement!

I made a few changes to my mini shrink ray. Still 100% kit bashed and cost free, but added a few greebles and changed the emitter. I wanted to give it a more authentic look while still building it from materials I've found around the garage.
IMG_2346.JPGIMG_2347.JPGIMG_2348.JPGIMG_2349.JPG

I need a new computer, so I apologize for the sideways pics!

Thanks again everyone! I have virtually no skills when it comes to prop builds. I do plan on putting a real working laser on it. If anyone wants to build their own mini shrink ray, pm me; I have extra parts. This was a childhood dream of mine and I'd pass on what I have to anyone who shares that same dream. Plus, I'd like to see what someone else comes up with!

Ryan

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back