Honey, I Shrunk the Kids mini ray

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by whoami11, Sep 1, 2015.

1. whoami11

whoami11 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I haven't posted in a while because I haven't built anything. I blew out my knee so I've had time on my hands. This project is probably the first prop I ever wanted to build. As a kid, seeing Nick with his mini shrink ray made me think I could build one myself. This project is 100% kit bashed. No money was spent on this project. Everything was found around the house. I say that because this project is not true to form. It is a blend of the real and mini shrink ray. Feedback and tips are much appreciated!

It started with this picture I found online...
    IMG_1825.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

With a couple of screen grabs and some artwork I found online, I was able to start building the base...
    IMG_2060.JPG IMG_2056.JPG IMG_2061.JPG IMG_2062.JPG

2. whoami11

Once the base was sturdy, I was able to start construction on the top; electronics and all.
    IMG_2055.JPG IMG_2064.JPG IMG_2084.JPG IMG_2085.JPG IMG_2086.JPG IMG_2087.JPG IMG_2089.JPG IMG_2091.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

And the finished product...
    IMG_2094.JPG IMG_2093.JPG IMG_2095.JPG
    If anyone is curious about any of the parts, I used, let me know! I know where most of it came from!

-Ryan

Wes R, MattgomeryBurns and Funky like this.
  3. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is pretty * cool! The fact that you made it out of what you already had on hand is incredible.

ultraman likes this.
  4. ultraman

ultraman Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i agree with funky jedi......making props with what you got take more thought and imagination!
    awesome mini prop!
    well done indeed!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  5. joberg

joberg Master Member

"I blew out my knee, so I've had time on my hands" quote is very funny:D (maybe that's just me). Very good build/prop btw. Love it when someone recycle and re-use stuff !

6. protonpack

protonpack New Member

Absolutely amazing work!

7. whoami11

Thanks guy! It means a lot coming from talented makers like you! I still have some work to do on it. Ultimately, I want to make the machine go up and down and rotate like the big machine. Plus a working laser and more greebles. BTW, this was built on a folding dinner tray (I just moved and my workbench and hobby stuff is still in boxes). Again, thanks for the encouragement!

8. whoami11

I made a few changes to my mini shrink ray. Still 100% kit bashed and cost free, but added a few greebles and changed the emitter. I wanted to give it a more authentic look while still building it from materials I've found around the garage.
    IMG_2346.JPG IMG_2347.JPG IMG_2348.JPG IMG_2349.JPG

I need a new computer, so I apologize for the sideways pics!

9. OzJames

OzJames New Member

It amazes me to see the talent on this site. I wish I had 10% of that talent. Looks great

10. whoami11

Thanks again everyone! I have virtually no skills when it comes to prop builds. I do plan on putting a real working laser on it. If anyone wants to build their own mini shrink ray, pm me; I have extra parts. This was a childhood dream of mine and I'd pass on what I have to anyone who shares that same dream. Plus, I'd like to see what someone else comes up with!

Ryan