Home 3D rocks and so does TRON; I will fight anyone who says different. :p

Yeah, I figured it'd be a tough concept to describe, like colour. I mean, no doubt you 'get' perspective and parallax and such? But it's not exactly that; it's more like having an enhanced version of the parallax effect you get from moving side-to-side, I guess - just built-in, with the need to move eliminated.

How is the 3D? The trailer for it on the TRON disc looked a bit, I dunno. Is it postconversion? A very flat, layered cards effect in the trailer.

I'm pretty sure it was shot in 3D, or at least with 3D in mind, like Captain America. I thought it looked pretty cool, but I think you can rent it through VUDU or things of the like.

Last night I found out that Call of Duty: Black Ops has a 3D option. It was awesome! I've been playing Modern Warfare 3 non stop since it came out, and was not very fond of Black Ops but the 3D effect was really cool, and for one reason or another I seem to be playing better on it than before. Don't know if it was the 3D or if playing MW3 for so long has anything to do with it, but it was great.

I want to get a 3D TV. I'm tempted to try that PlayStation display for 3D. But I'll probably wait for something bigger. I do want to see TRON Legacy in 3D on Blu-ray as it's supposed to be better than what I saw in the theater. At least according to a few interviews I've read.

EoS - my place, yesterday afternoon, overripe bananas.

Wakeem, it's at least as good as the theatrical 3D. The darkening effect that some complain about so bitterly is barely perceptible. I don't know, it's about three milli-notches darker. :D

I mean, no doubt you 'get' perspective and parallax and such?

I "get" it. I've been told that when normal people, who see with both eyes, close their left eye, while looking at a scene, then switch, closing their right eye and opening the left, the scene changes slightly. Somehow, when both eyes are open, the brain combines the two images into one. Impossible I say, but apparently it is true. For me, close my good eye, I don't see, close my bad eye, no difference in vision.

There was a vision test that was given to kids in school (1960-70s). It was like looking into a set of binoculars. The nurse would ask me, if the red ball was closer to the boy or the dog. I thought she was nuts! I would tell her, I don't see a ball, all I see is a red circle/red light. Then she would give me the look I gave her earlier, and in astonishment ask, "You don't see the boy or the dog?" Then of course, the kids in line would laugh. I'd get upset. It wasn't until the early teens that I finally asked the nurse to let me in on what I thought was a bad joke. She let me look with my left eye into the right lens viewer and I saw the boy and dog, but no "ball", red circle/light. It is still such a bizarre concept to me that for "normal" people, the brain combines the scene.

Oh man. They didn't realize you didn't have vision in one eye?!?!!!!!!!!! Auuugghhh!! IDIOTS!

Yeah, there's a ton of pre-processing in the optic nerve itself appparently, and then again in the visual cortex. The images you get from each eye are different by virtue of being a few inches apart in perspective. One eye can see a bit more of the left side of objects, the other can see a bit more of the right side of objects. The optic nerve and brain combine all this into a picture of the world that includes built-in rangefinding. It's handy but you're not missing out on something as good as, say, colour vision.

:facepalm

Dang, man, you win hands down. :lol

You're inspiring me though. A few months back I got out the manual and the glasses to get "dialed in" but gave up before completing the process.

I have POTC 4 in 3D, a few kids movies, Cap'n USA, maybe one or two others. Ave NOT bought Avatar yet.

Do it, do it, I'm itching to hear your impression! :) Ditto anyone else making the plunge.

Setting up took me about ten minutes all up. It was frustrating at a couple of points - I'm using a PSIII as my player and thought I might have had to go find a firmware update as the unit pre-dated the 3D support. Turned out I just needed to find a setting; as a side benefit I discovered that - bizarrely - the HDMI connection either hadn't been auto-detected or had been reset at some point.

It wasn't running as an HDMI signal, or something...fixing that improved picture quality a lot on everything. I'd fail hard at being a videophile; good thing I don't pretend to be one. :lol

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back