Home 3D rocks and so does TRON; I will fight anyone who says different. :p

Nwerke

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
We finally bought some 3D content. (Had the TV since about August.)

Just got done watching it. Since both home 3D and TRON seem to come in for a lot of hate from some, I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone by telling you people you're all horribly, horribly wrong on both counts. :lol

I found setting up the TV and player was a little more involved than expected, but nothing onerous. Once dialed in it was flawless. TV is a Samsung LED/LCD Series 7, last year's model.

I love that movie. It's gorgeous. It's just one big eye-candy-filled music-video with overdone Judaeo-Christian references, but it's a stunning eye-candy-filled music-video with yadda yadda. Actually I connected up a few more dots this time and came away with a little bit more respect for the script than I had previously. I dunno, it's a subjective thing, you like it or you don't. I feel fortunate that I do. There's plenty of other stuff out there to not like; I wanted to like this, did, and still do. Win.

I started watching the movie with a headache and I still have one. It's no better and no worse. The flicker effect was completely absent. The glasses are unnoticeable after about five minutes. There was no eyestrain or weird inverty inside-out nonsense or 'flashing' or any of the rest of the guff you hear about. It was completely comfortable in every respect and I have NO idea what people are on about when griping re this; legit medical reasons obviously excepted.

3D TV is a cool piece of technology that even an idiot like me can figure out by almost literally mashing buttons at random - the room was too dark to read my remote's labelling and I wanted to see just how stupid I'd have to be to really mess it up. Answer: pretty damn stupid. Somewhere around the shoelace-tying threshhold, I'd say. It works brilliantly.

If you haven't given it a chance because you've heard this-or-that about the technology and had a gut reaction of 'errrgh, that's stupid', do yourself a favour - drop your preconceptions and give it an honest, fair chance. Maybe you'll be surprised.

End sermon! :lol

I have an LG passive 3D TV and I love watching 3D. I wouldn't like to watch everything in 3D but I already can't wait for Prometheus to come out on 3D Blu-ray. Ridley Scott's visuals combined with Stereoscopy will, along with the Hobbit show people how it should really look. Avatar did it well, and I think Ridley and Jackson will give it another good kickin'

I've never been a big fan of 3D. The idea of paying more at the theater for an effect that you eventually forget about during the movie seemed wasted.

But, we purchased a new home projector a month ago and it does 3D. So we've watched a few movies in 3D and somehow it's much better, more engrossing. I'm sure it will still depend on the type of movie, and how the 3D was done (During the filming or post), and how well it's done. So far we have Tron, Captain America and How to Train your Dragon, and they've all been spectacular.

So, I'm still not 100% sold, but I'm well over half way!

I have an LG passive 3D TV and I love watching 3D. I wouldn't like to watch everything in 3D but I already can't wait for Prometheus to come out on 3D Blu-ray. Ridley Scott's visuals combined with Stereoscopy will, along with the Hobbit show people how it should really look. Avatar did it well, and I think Ridley and Jackson will give it another good kickin'

I may have the same TV and LOVE the fact that we can use movie theater glasses at home. The kids enjoy 3d a LOT more now that I don't have to be the glasses Nazi. Now they can drop and touch them all they want!

I love 3d too!

Talisen..Captain America was done as post production. One of our favorites at my house! Megamind, Monster House, Tintin..all good 3d. If yu can get the Roadrunner 3d shorts they are GREAT! They need a feature film Road Runner cartoon in 3d!!! 90 minutes of FUN!!

I was very impressed with the quality of the newer 3d HDTVs. Certainly as good as what you'll find in a theater, which is not what I was expecting.

Also, Tron was indeed glorious.

I don't know about the 3D, but Tron and Tron Legacy are both fine films.

And in particular TRON on BR is spectacular, probably even better in 3D.

I don't upgrade movies much, without good reason, but highly recommend the TRON BR.

I agree with this wholeheartedly! Tron is stunning in 3D, and watching movies at home in 3D is something else. My GF says that it forces her to pay attention to the movie more, instead of playing with her phone and such, so she tends to like the movies we watch that way better. (not my fault she has a short attention span). For example, we bought POTC 4 in 3D before we had the 3D tv, though we knew we would eventually have one. We watched it and both kinda were like "Meh", but after getting the TV we watched it again and enjoyed it much, much more.

I love having it, and can't wait for some more releases.

(BTW, the post conversion Disney did for The Lion King is astounding)

Hey Hankey, Yeah, I know Cap was done in Post, but the movie was shot with the conversion in mind, exactly what Johnston did, maybe additional blank plates at the offset distance, I don't know, but it works better than some.

Captain America 3D article

I have no problems with 3D in theaters but every time I test out the 3D tvs and glasses at Best Buy, it always looks super blurry to me. We have a 3D tv at home but haven't bothered to get glasses since I haven't seen it work in the store yet.

Have never understood the "anti-3D" crowd. They kinda annoy me actually. :lol

Same holds true in reverse. :rolleyes

I hate 3D and there's no amount of talking or demonstrations that will convince me otherwise. I'm glad they have it for the people that like it and as long as they have an option, it's cool. If they start having 3D only films, that's when I start waiting for it to come to cable. I love that people love 3D, but I hate when people (mostly studio people) try to shove it down our throats. People who don't like it (nor people who like it) aren't stupid or anti-technology or what ever.

Like what you like, don't hate those that don't.

Have never understood the "anti-3D" crowd. They kinda annoy me actually. :lol

A lot of people don't like 3D because it's used as a marketing crutch instead of developing a story. Flashy shiny lights on the screen, but no substance. Or it's used to 'enhance' a movie that was filmed with regular 2D movies just so they can charge more, but the quality of enhanced 2D movies is exceptionally poor.

Tron Legacy was beautiful in 3D, because it was setup that way to begin. There was also a fine story before the 3D.

3D is an artificial impediment to our brain's natural tendency to manufacture 3D space out of 2D imagery. That's why it makes some people sick, is headache inducing, etc., etc.. Tron may be a special case because that level of artificial kinda plays with the conceit of the film, but normally forcing your brain to do something it's trying to do anyway, but in a slightly different way just pisses it off.

Agreed! Bad 3D is as irritating as bad CG, especially when used for the wrong reasons. When it's done right however it's a thing of beauty.....at least to me. I would never want to watch everything in 3D and I'm sure it will never be pushed to that level and I've yet to see a 3D release that wasn't also shown in 2D. I guess what bothers me is the curmudgeony way people tend to complain about it. While it certainly can be used in a "gimicky" fashion, it's also much more than that, with the potential to be refined to higher levels and add a whole new layer of enjoyment to the movie watching experience. I don't think it will be going anywhere any time soon.

I say otherwise.

...horribly, horribly wrong. :lol

So, I'm still not 100% sold, but I'm well over half way!

Can't wait to get hold of HTTYD. And, sounds like a little while back you'd have been exactly representative of the people I'm trying to reach with my OP!

For example, we bought POTC 4 in 3D before we had the 3D tv, though we knew we would eventually have one. We watched it and both kinda were like "Meh", but after getting the TV we watched it again and enjoyed it much, much more.

How is the 3D? The trailer for it on the TRON disc looked a bit, I dunno. Is it postconversion? A very flat, layered cards effect in the trailer.

I would never want to watch everything in 3D and I'm sure it will never be pushed to that level and I've yet to see a 3D release that wasn't also shown in 2D.

Exactly. The sense of grievance you get from some of the complainers is kinda confusing - if you don't want/like it, doing go to that session.

I guess what bothers me is the curmudgeony way people tend to complain about it. While it certainly can be used in a "gimicky" fashion, it's also much more than that, with the potential to be refined to higher levels and add a whole new layer of enjoyment to the movie watching experience. I don't think it will be going anywhere any time soon.

Very much agree on all points. Why is it so personal to some? I can't shake the suspicion that it's largely reflex and that at least some of those folks would come around if they'd give it a real chance. It's jaw-droppingly brilliant! Or at least it *can* be, and occasional horrors like CoTT and TPM are well offset by your HTTYDs and TRONs and Avatars etc.

Originally Posted by ONEYE
I say otherwise.
...horribly, horribly wrong.

Ok, some clarification/justification. I have two eyes, only one can I see out of. I can't
see 3D. This is why I say otherwise. It sucks for me. I have no idea what this 3D effect is.

Ok, some clarification/justification. I have two eyes, only one can I see out of. I can't
see 3D. This is why I say otherwise. It sucks for me. I have no idea what this 3D effect is.

Aaaaahhhh mate, I did except "legitimate medical reasons". In your case you're behind the 8-ball on this, I completely agree.

Did you lose sight in that eye or was it congenital? From your "no idea" statement I'm guessing you've never ever had depth perception? Dang.

Last edited:
I was born that way. I had an operation sometime during the third grade to make it able to move, it was stationary. Nope, never had depth perception, I have a hard time trying to imagine what that could be like. It doesn't seem to be a problem when I'm shooting (USMC rifle Expert, pistol Sharp Shooter). Things close in are, parking, painting figures, can't use an air brush, can't catch a ball, stuff like that. Also, I get spooked a bit if I don't hear someone coming up on my right side (my blind side).

I missed the exception, sorry.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back